Return to Website

The Sixgun Journal Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

The Sixgun Journal Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ruger Security Six range report

Posted this on RugerForums.com, but then shortly found your nice sixgun site, and decided to repost as I read about your fondness for the 'old' Security Six. This is my first 'real' handgun, after deciding I needed a new one. I've shot an old Grendel P10 .380 for years (grandfather to the new Kel-Tec plastic wonderpistol line), and bummed 'real' guns off of buddies for years. It's a blued 4" Security Six w/ rubber pachmayr grips that I bought at a gunstore about 2 wks ago.

Chip

- - -

I took "Old Ugly", my new (to me) 4" Blued Security Six, to the range yesterday for the first time. I bought 3 boxes of ammo:

50 rnds Remington UMC .38 target
50 rnds Remington UMC .38 +p
50 rnds Winchester 110gr .357 (personal protection?)

I bought this gun about 2 weeks ago. This is the first chance I've had to shoot it. Boy, was I impressed! First cylinder full of .38 target, at 15', all in the 10 ring. Fired double action. The Pachmayr grips were nice!

Next cylinder of .38 +p, tighter group (still in the 10), not much more noticable recoil than the mild .38 target. Fired double action.

Next cylinder of 110gr .357, tighter group still (if just a bit more than the .38 +p, slightly more recoil than the +p, but still quite acceptable. The weight of the Security Six soaks recoil nicely, making it very pleasant to shoot.

I spent the afternoon loading cylinders of all 3, shooting double and single action. Boy was that fun! I'm hooked on my cheapo, beater, old and ugly Ruger!

We had quite a group there, with everything under the sun, from 9mm Glocks, a .45 Springfield Armory Milspec 1911, an Iver Johnson 8rnd .22lr (sealed 8) from the '20's, S&W 9mm autos, and two Kel-Tec P11 9mm's. We traded off pistols and shot all day.

My friend also brought some nice Rugers, a Super Blackhawk .44magnum, w/ full magnum loads. And, a .357 Blackhawk to go with it. Talk about sweet guns, the .357 BH was (as always) awesome, but the .44 had the range talking! Each time we'd fire that thing, everybody would stop what they were doing and watch. I may have to add a .357 BH to my collection, I love that SA and weight, and they're such pretty guns.

One buddy had a derringer he bought for $99 at the last Eastman's gunshow, in .410/.45colt. Double barrel, that thing will eat you up! I fired two shots out of it, and promptly handed it back. My .357 is a *****cat compared to that!

Finally, as we're getting ready to leave, some of the group rented a full auto Uzi. Talk about expensive. 5 min. to load a 30rnd mag, 5 seconds to unload. They'd had an MP5 but sheared the firing pin after 2 single shots... Slow rate of fire (Uzi) compared to the MP5, but it sure was cool!

All in all, I love my Security Six, and am thinking about a 101 in .38 or .357 for the wife. One in .22lr would be nice too... :-)

Almost forgot. Right as we were leaving, I put the 3 remaining .38 target rounds in the revolver, and squeezed off 3 SA shots at 15' into a single jagged hole, just to the right of the X. I'll have to drift the rear sight over a bit to zero it in...

This, all for $189. I'm lovin' it!

Chip in GA

Thank you Chip...

Sounds like y'all had a blast!

I never ran across a Security, Service or Speed Six that wasn't a good shooter. I was always partial to the fixed-sight guns; once you get them "filed in", you never have to worry about them. I've always been sort of a "one load" man though, but if you shoot various loads with different bullet weights, adjustable sights are the way to go.

Nice range report- thank you again for posting it.

Re: Thank you Chip...

No problem - I hastily typed it up, I was a bit excited! The crunch-tickers were cool, the plastic glocks cool (I have a polymer .380, a Grendel, but it stayed in the range bag), the uzi was cool, but there's just nothing like shooting revolvers. The 3 rugers I played with were awesome, and we had an old S&W-license Taurus in .32 S&W, and my 1898 Colt New Pocket in .32 Colt Short and Long... those weren't fired due to timing issues.

Thank you for your site - I've been enjoying it the past day or so. Great articles! I'm now on the search for a .357 SP101 or S&W snub for the wife... yeah, it's for her! :-)

Chip

Re: Ruger Security Six range report

Hey Chip:

I have been a big fan of Rugers since the 70s'. I have a stainless security-six with a 6 inch barrel. A P90 decocker in a .45acp and standard .22 semi-auto that I bought back in 76...It was my first ruger...and as you say I love them all. They are all good shooters and feel comfortable with them. I was considering a GP100 in .357 but the old stainless security six will outlast me...so I opt not to get one....Thanks for the range report....SONNY

Re: Re: Ruger Security Six range report

One year later, I still love the Ruger.

I've since added a 6.5" Ruger stainless Single Six to the mix (bought used for $239 - a 1974/5 pre-billboard model) and a Winchester 94 30-30.

I'm going to add another Ruger SA, perhaps an original Vaquero in .45, and turn the Security Six into a project gun.

It's a blast to shoot - literally! I'll never sell it.

Chip