This forum is for the sole use of CRD users. ChristianSteven Software will not accept any responsibility for the contents.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CRD Setup for multiple users

I haven't done this myself as I am still in the planning stage, but this is what I found from talking to the Christiansteven support guys. They would recommend the terminal services option. But here are a few things to bear in mind:

1. CRD uses an Access database to store schedule information and this is pretty bad and slow when you have multiple users logged in simultaneously. So I would recommend that you migrate the database to sql server or some other odbc compliant database. Make sure that all users have rights to the database after you have uploaded.

2. Each of the users need to have access to the CRD system folders, so you should go to Options and change these from c:blaablaa to UNC format (myserverblaablaa). Make sure that the folders are shared and all the users have full read write and delete rights to the folders. Also make sure you share the christiansteven folder in program files and give the users full rights.

3. Install the NT service scheduler, not the background application scheduler. That way the scheduler is churning away on the server even if on-one is logged in.

3. Now set up all your users with the rights you want. I would recommend you use Windows authentication instead of CRD authentication as this ties the CRD to the user that is logged on to the ts session.

Remember to do all the above whilst logged into the virtual server as the Administrator so you have full rights.

Now here's what should happen:
When a user logs into a ts session, they will actually see a copy of their windows profile. They can start CRD and it will connect to the shared database and use the shared system folders. Their rights will depend on the username they used when logging into the ts session.

The advantage of doing it this way is that yu don't have to do multiple physical installations of CRD on different PCs, and you don't have to maintain them if something goes wrong.

Some pitfalls:

It depends on how your TS is set up. If users have their own Program Files folder for their profile, then you will have to install CRD for each user. I believe you may also have to register and activate each installation the first time it is used in the TS session. If they all share the server's Program Files folder, then this issue doesn't arise.

Let me know if this helps and also if you find any gems that will help me when I come to do this next month.

Thanks Amit,

I'll let you how it goes when we come round to setting it up.

Regards
Col

I recently installed Ent Pro Plus on Citrix server this seems like the best way to reach a wide range of users with CRD.

30 users

Terminal vs Workstation

Workstation:
Create SQL DB
30 CR Installed
30 CRD Installed
30 ODBC Connections Setup for SQL DB for CRD
30 Admin setup
30 Maintanence and Upgrades
30 machines to Trouble shoot

Terminal Services

Create service account with admin right to DB, CRD and Citrix box