Return to Website

This forum is only for the technical matters. Please use contact in the main site for other topics including business inquiry.Any post other than technical topics may be removed by webmaster without permission. We hope your kind understanding about the the operation policy of the forum.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
USB question

Hello Lead Audio,

I bought a LA-100 last Saturday, and i am very pleased with the sound.

I am quite surprised about the good sound quality, when using the USB input. Have you done something special to make it sound this good? Galvanically isolation, jitter reduction, or something else?

I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link to kill jitter through coax or toslink. At the moment i am undecided which connection i prefer, but i am leaning towards the "simple is better" USB, without passing through the V-Link.

Yes, i know i should listen and decide for myself, but do you have a suggestion, which connection is preferable?

Re: USB question

Hi "LA fan"
Personally i like the USB, and that is my preferred connection. It is the most direct way, when samplerate is 44.1 or 48khz (and that is most common format). If you are playing 96 use coax or optical, if it is 192 then use the coax.
One of the reason for the very good sound quality is the sample rate converter. This is removing all jitter from the signal, and if it 44.1 or 48kHz then it will only be removing jitter.
We like the optical ,because it will isolate the computer completely from you audio. We are not isolating the USB(or Coax).
But all signals will have jitter removed (so you don't need your V-link).

Thanks for your reply Søren Mac Larsen.

I have another question for you, if you don`t mind. I found this picture of the internals of LA-100 (nice) http://www.erji.net/attachment/Mon_1011/130_296645_857e7100a666c2d.jpg

It shows two circuits in sockets. Are they a possible future upgrade path?

Søren Mac Larsen
Hi "LA fan"
Personally i like the USB, and that is my preferred connection. It is the most direct way, when samplerate is 44.1 or 48khz (and that is most common format). If you are playing 96 use coax or optical, if it is 192 then use the coax.
One of the reason for the very good sound quality is the sample rate converter. This is removing all jitter from the signal, and if it 44.1 or 48kHz then it will only be removing jitter.
We like the optical ,because it will isolate the computer completely from you audio. We are not isolating the USB(or Coax).
But all signals will have jitter removed (so you don't need your V-link).

Hello!
I have used the L-100 and I am very pleased with it. I don´t understand the quoted text above however. You say you prefer USB and like the optical since this is a moore direct way. But is it not jitter that is the problem? Do not the jitter-removing work in the same way if you connect through the USB port compared with the coaxial or the optical? Does it matter if the signal is more or less direct? I mean, in an analog system I can understand the argument, but in a digital system? What can go wrogt with the digits besides of jitter? Or am I wrong?

The reason I am asking is that I am leaning towards av networked solution and a network player of some sort. The idea of separating the storage (the server)from the player seems to me to be a good idea. But do you mean this is not prefered since I then will have to use optical or coaxial instead of USB?