Not the Same Old Done-It-Before Youth Meeting Forum

Leave your feedback and opinions on each month's topics

Not the Same Old Done-It-Before Youth Meeting Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Catholic Christians

You ask me about the young Catholic becoming a Christian. First we must have understanding. Catholics are Christians. They express their faith differently than Protestants but many have a deep faith. Yes, some may go through the motions of their ritual but how many Protestants say the Lord’s Prayer and do not think about what they are saying. How often do we truly take to heart when we say … forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. How well do we forgive? When we say the Lord ’s Prayer we ask God only to forgive us our sins to the degree that we forgive others. Do we really mean it or do we simply recite this prayer?

One of the most powerful prayers I have ever read comes from a Catholic – Francis of Assissi. Please read it and then I think you will know how to approach your Catholic friend. It reads: “ Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I might not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Re: Catholic Christians

I am something of a minority in this world . Italian American Presbyterian . My parents changed churches in the early 1960's I am an Elder in the Presbyterian Church . We do things a little differently than Roman Catholics but we have so many things in common that it does not pay to focus on the differences .God calls people to faith in different ways , celebrate the differences but remember what we have in common . We all learn from each other in this life . My first cousin lost both parents while he was in college , he met a Bhuddist girl and married her , he converted to Bhuddism because his wifes family is all that he has now . Believe it or not there are things that Bhuddism has in common with Christianity . He is still my cousin ,he just worships a little bit differently . Right is still right wrong is still wrong . We should give mutual respect to what is different and celebrate what we have in common ! Vaya con Dios !