FamilyRiley Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

FamilyRiley Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Self defense?

Hello again all, yes even you Mike. It has come to my attention that there is a little surprise that I left Mike's whimsical description of my style-sense without response or at least an effort to defend myself. Well, I've got to tell you that I was present at Mike and Sue's home when the response was first penned and my feeling were made fairly clear at that time. I will admit that I was rather amused the first time I saw his posting when he described my belt "fetish" but was not so thrilled about the repeated reference to coming out of the closet and my personal admission that I am a Metro sexual. As all of you are painful aware, Mike is prone to severe bouts of exaggeration and misinformation (a condition I feel sure is brought on by his getting on in years).
The comment was made in passing that Rebecca had mentioned to me one weekend that I may be, what her teenage friends call, Metro sexual. I did in fact ask her what in the hell that was supposed to mean and she explaind it much the way Mike suggested she did.
I informed my dear child that just because I hadn't dated in well over a year,like to keep the house clean, cook a few meals for myself and coordinate the odd accessory or two didn't make me a Metro- whatever, in fact it didn't make me remotely sexual at all. She told me that it isn't a bad thing and that many of her friends are that way because she hangs out with a lot of her theatre and actor friends. I feel now that rather than coordinate my belt buckles with the particualr watch I'm wearing (which to me is perfectly normal) I should probably take up acting so I can find a social group I have more in common with.
I cannot help the fact that Mike is woefully uniformed about fashion and personal appearance but if I felt like I could offer him some advice without further aggrevation the situation I would gladly do so. I find it interesting that Sue liked several of my belts and suggested that Mike pick up one or two of his own.... hmmm.
Since I am sure you will all read this, out of curiosity, I will reiterate Rachal's recent comments to her mother. Ellen, you look fantastic and all credit to you for following your heart and moving to Luxor despite the initial fears. I couldn't be happier that you are happy with the move and that you have such beautiful kittens to love and cuddle.
I hope this correspondence finds you all well. I have been travelling about 26 days out of each month and am rarely in Houston. The upside of that news is that I periodically get up to Piedmont and see the family in California for a few days at a time. In fact, and this is more specifically for you Sarah, I will be bringing Rebecca to the Bay area on July 22 for a few days and would love to get together with everyone while we are in town.
This past weekend I spent some time helping Jackie and the kids move into their new home and am happy to report that they have purchased a really nice place and am equally happy that it is only 5 miles away from my place (when I'm home, that is). the kids are doing well, Drew is waiting tables at a local restaurant and continues to date his girlfriend Sarah and Rebecca is enjoying the benefits of being out of school and not having to work. Jackie is well too and seems very excited to be in the new house.
Anyway, I have taken up more of your time than I probably needed to but it's good to stay in touch. You all make sure you continue to do the same.
Good health to you all.

Love Steve

Re: Self defense?

Steve, nice note! What belt /watch combo were you wearing? Whichever it was, it goes well with a nimble turn of phrase.

One belt Mike

How odd Steve, that so many family members would be surprised at your lack of a comeback at being accused of being a well presented, self sufficient and impecably groomed man?!?? Perhaps we should get in touch with the television programme ***** Eye for the Straight Guy on Mikes behalf and have them assist Mike in getting into focus with ye olde styleee?? I say good for you, you dapper brute of a modern man, keep up the grooming!

xxxx Rachel

I'm getting this image of Steve in full dapperness faced by Mike in, hmmm what shall I say?..... well comfotable clothes. Boys, boys, be friends (as mom used to say).

Speaking as an impartial sister, yes, I can see a disparity in philosophy in the dress department, but hey, we love you both equally, don't we siblings. Back me up someone!

Thanks for the pc from Berlin, Mike. How was the trip? Did yu see some good games. We went there a couple of years ago and loved the city.

All is well here, Mark is away for the week on a biology trip, counting blades of grass, literally, he tells me. Surely you get to cut up a few worms to liven things, I ask. I may be vegetarian, but I still know how to live!

love to you all
Brenda