FamilyRiley Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

FamilyRiley Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need help with tofu!

I tried to cook tofu the other day and it all went horribly wrong and I have no clue why... please help me!!! I bought the blue dragon silky style tofu (as this is all I could find in tesco, maybe this is the wrong type, where is good to buy tofu?) Anyway, I followed the instructions on the back that told me to rinse under cold water and pat dry (it was very fragile coming out of the packet, is this right?!) Then I fried it in oil for about half an hour, the back told me to do it until it browned but that was not even giving a hint of happening. It didn't go hard either... I am so clueless and any tips would be much appreciated!

Hope all and sundry are well anyway!

Re: I need help with tofu!

Hi Kim,
I've never come across that brand of tofu before, but we do buy 'Cauldron' often and get it in health food shops or most big super markets, maybe in their organic section. The ordinary is the most squashy and fragile, the beech smoked or marinated are a little firmer (am beginning to sound like a bra salesman).
If its strong enough you can squeeze out the liquid or otherwise use kitchen roll and pat dry.

When I use it in a wok meal I cut it into about 1cm cubes and fry at the hottest possible before adding anything else and this way it does get brown on outside. The other main way we use it is to soak in a marinade with vegetables and make vege kebabs for the barbie. In that case the cubes are more like an inch big. This works really well and if you leave them long enough you may even get black tofu! Yummy. The marinade for this is a quarter cup each of lemon juice, veg oil and kikkomans soy sauce, 1 teasp grated fresh ginger (peeling not necessary) and 1 clove of garlic, crushed. If I'm organised enough I let it all marinade overnight. Good luck.

Hope you are surviving the summer. Today is pleasantly cool(ish) and was even a bit drizzly earlier. Bliss.

love Brenda

Hi Kim

I've never heard of that type either. We always buy cauldron too, normally from Asda or Sainsbury's but also Holland and Barrett. It's kept in the fridge section with the other vegetarian stuff. I've never used the ones that you get from the shelf because I've heard the texture doesn't tend to be so easy to work with and I'm wondering if that's where you got yours?

We generally use the tofu that's already been marinated (a cheat I know) but that is generally a lot easier to cook as it only really needs heating through (and really nice with stir fry's)!! Plus you can freeze it.

We use the plain tofu in things like Thai Green Curry and if you fry it off before adding anything else that will brown it off (tastes really nice with butternut squash as well). As Brenda said use a high heat and this will give it some colour.

Hope that helps and let us kow how it goes.

Emma

Wow, helpful tips and a marinade recipe... cool thanks!!!
The stuff I got was off the shelf indeed, I shall not be repeating that venture! Maybe I'll just persuade Tesco to stock more variety of tofu, the only other stuff they had was a pre made ready meal type thing, blah!
I was attempting to cook the Wagamama recipe with the tofu, prawns, udon noodles and nuts on top with lime... lush, it's my fave and I cant remember what it is called!

Hi guys, can't say I have the same fascination with tofu, but then I've probably never given it much of a chance. I did quite like the smoked one Brenda used on a BBQ once, spose now I've got a better chance of finding it...although as I too use Tesco mainly it doesn't sound hopful. Good to hear news and views,
Beth xx

Amai udon, that's what it's called!!! When I've figured out how to make it (in a nice edible stylio!) I'll make it for you mum, it's good! (of course it would be good with chicken too...)