FamilyRiley Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

FamilyRiley Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Change of subject

Greeting fellow family members and friends. I hope I find you all firmly in the grasp of the holiday spirit and enthusiastically embracing the possibilities that the new year will bring, I know I am.
I thought I'd take a moment to let you all know that I made a momentous decision this morning when I called my employer of 15 years and handed them my resignation. Now I know there are those of you who may feel this is somewhat irresponsible seeing as I do not have a job to walk right into but believe me, the time was right.
As most of you know, Joe's Crab Shack was bought out by another company and the buy-in opportunity I thought I was being offered did not happen and instead the new company eliminated my position completely, leaving me with a choice of moving to Dallas in a considerably lesser position or resigning. So after four weeks of traveling to and from Dallas I decided that it was time to call it a day. The decision was helped along by the fact that an opening became available in Houston and I was not even offered the spot although it would mean that I didn't have to move. Even a simple minded fellow like myself can read the writing on the wall when it's written that big.
So I find myself unemployed and looking for a job for the first time in over 15 years, should be interesting. They say it's like riding a bike and I'll get right back into a groove and do fine with it. If in fact that is the case, maybe I'll move onto dating from here, I haven't done that in a couple of years either. If memory serves me right, I quite liked riding a bike.
I want to send you all my Email address and new phone number as I am certain the company I just left will wannt their phone and laptop computer back pretty soon.

spjriley@sbcglobal.net is the Email (most of you already have it)
and the new phone number is:
832-453-8555

I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and look forward to hearing from you soon. Who knows, perhaps I will take advantage of this time off, and do some traveling.

I love you all.

Steve.

Re: Change of subject

Hi Steve, wow, momentous move indeed, but I'm sure it's the right time as you say. Good luck with job hunting, and the prospect of dating again too, could be a real exciting 2007 for you. Wishing you lots of luck and come a visit any time, there's a spare bed waiting. Enjoy your family time over Christmas,
lots of love,
Beth xx

HI steve,
I'm so sorry that you are yet again facing an uncertain new year. Last year your job was shakey and you were looking for a new home. All in all I think you didn't do too badly in 2006, of course things didn't quite work out as planned....but as Gloria says, Theres always tomorrow to start over again. I'm sure something wonderful is in store for you. I like your idea of doing a bit of travelling. Please consider a visit to a batty sister living, as her children always predicted she would, with a cat or four. We would be delighted to see you. I'm sure you'll not be unappreciated for long. There will be jobs a plenty offered. Your only problem will be
choosing which is the most appealing.

I hope your Christmas is a happy one, with the family around. I love you Steve, your an ok bloke and deserve the best that life has to offer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ellen

Good for you Steve! How very disappointing the firm did not give you the recognition you deserve after so many years of hard work and dedication. At least you are now free to pursue happier and more fulfilling challenges. I'm sure the family are very happy to have you all to themselves this Christmas too. Here's to new jobs and new joys in 2007. And when you're done at Aunt Beth's and Mom's places Barry, me and the Pepster would love to see you.

xxx Big Christmas Kisses and Cuddles xxxx

Hi Steve,
just want to get in line with offering a place to visit. Clevedon is an exciting and happening place I think you will like it! Ok, I've probably slightly exaggerated there but you'll certainly get a warm welcome from me and da boys.
Good for you with the job. You are wasted on people who can't see your worth. Best of luck with all your searchings. And hey, remember your scary sisters (and I don't mean Beth) will always be willing to sort out any employer trouble you might have as we did with Dairy Queen that time, remember?

Have a happy christmas.
love to you and your guys.

brenda, alan and mark xxxxx

Hey, I may not have been old enough to sort out the Dairy Queen boys, but I'd sure have a go now...! Count me in to any action that may need to be taken!!
beth xx

Wow, thanks girls, I really appreciate the show of support. I especially like the threats to former employers, perhaps I can list that as an asset on my resume.
Honestly though, thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and confidence. It strikes me that most of us have been through some kind of job upheaval in recent years so I imagine it's not a stretch to know how it feels. I am leaving the ****** off phase and entering the enthusiastic about the future opportunities phase which will probably serve me well when I get to the actual interviews. In reality I should have left Joe's/Landry's three years ago, but I'm stubborn...go figure, a stubborn Riley???
In the light of a new day, however, I am optomistic about the future.
As for travel, well I think from a purely practical standpoint, I should stick within phone range until I'm fairly certain I have an offer pending, that way I can be flexible with the interview schedules of potential employers. After that though, I will definately try to set aside some time before starting a new job to get over to England and see you all. Failing all that though, we have La Bastille day in California to look forward to, that's July 14 to those who have forgotten. Plan early and get a good seat at the festivities, and don't forget to start documenting your favorite family memories.
I'm sure we will all talk, one way or another over the Christmas holidays, so have fun, be happy and keep the Emails coming.

I love you all

Steve