FamilyRiley Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

FamilyRiley Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
just saying hi!

Hello to all,
just a note to say hi, and try and catch up with what you guys are all doing. We are very quiet in the Pub through January, so it gives us a chance to catch up on jobs that don't normally get done too often...you know, like window washing and the like.

On a more exciting note, it's also a good time for us to get away from it all and tomorrow I'm off to Courchevel in France to go skiing. There's even been a shed load of snow fall too. In Feb. we get away with Kimberly and Matt, and Simon goes with his pals in March...so it's all fair.

We are also excited to be going to SanFrancisco in July, and although we haven't yet booked tickets, we're working on it.

I saw Dad on Monday and he was on top form. Deeply ingrossed in Green Eggs and Ham (he is now on his second copy!), he told me all about the workers in the picture, the time they had off, and the bins they had to empty. Now although this didn't make a whole lot of sense...clearly it was a mouse, a fox, Sam I am and the grumpy man in a car....I entered his world and for an hour or so, took it all in and asked questions. He was very chatty, and answered them all.
Thanks for the postcards he's been sent, they all get posted and he enjoys reading them. Not too many words and large print help in this endeaver.

Anyway, enough of me rabbiting...how about you guys???Thke a minute or two and answer this note, or post your own.....I'll be checking again in a week or so when I get back fron France.(I might even check later today, for those of you who are really keen...)
Take care, wishing lots of love,
Beth x

Re: just saying hi!

Hi Beth

hope your skiing was wonderful.

Al and I went to Berlin for the week and got back late on the 26th. It was our second visit, this time organized by the college where I teach. However as we staff (and partners of staff) outnumbered the students by 8 to 1 not a lot of teaching went on. In fact i have to be honest and say that there was none at all. There was plenty of art, food and drink, however, including a meal in the revolving restaurant at the top of Berlin's TV tower. Very James Bond.
Half way through the week we woke to snow covered everything. So exciting for us snow starved Brits.

Glad to hear dad was so lively, he was very quiet on my last visit. I plan to go over soon so I can get up to date on the Green eggs and Ham situation.

love to all
Brenda xx

Beth, great job keeping the news flowing. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your trip, as hard as you work, you deserve a break.
The thought of us all getting together in July is very exciting, I hope we can all make it. I got a chance to see Mike and Sue's new place, it's fabulous.
I am in my second week of my new job as a Area Director of Operations for Sherlock's Baker street pubs (more formerly known as Hospitality USA. I must say, it's a complete change of pace, and one I'm sure you can relate to Beth. Last weekend I worked until 4:00 in the morning Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I must say that I was more than a little tired on Monday when I had to go to the office. I'm sure I will adapt pretty quickly. I am very glad to be out of the crab business. Already the company is looking at buying a restaurant group based out of Florida and have asked me to go and look at their operations to give my feedback on whether or not they would be a good addition to the company. Just when I thought my traveling days were over...
One day I will find a business that is a little slower paced but by the time that happens, I may be retired.
All in all, things are going well, it's great to be working and the kids are doing well with school and in their social lives. I guess I can't complain about a thing.
Let's hear from some more of you folks out there, give us something juicy to read.
It's great to hear that Dad is having his upbeat moments and I, for one, am very grateful for the time you all spend with him on our behalf. Keep up the good effort and don't work too hard.

lots of love

Steve

hey bethy, [brendy and stevie ? ] good to hear from you. im glad you get to squeeze in some sking between washing windows etc. we [ lindy lou, rhys rubes and myself] are probably going snow boarding in about two weeks. we have had a very dry winter compared to the last few years so i hope there will still be some snow by the time we get up there.. in a previous e mail, you gave a phone number for dad. do you have a snail mail adress ? i would like to send him something. ok then, im off to work, [ hopefully i wont have to sit in an extra 20 mins of traffic jams each time i go in and out of the city like i had to yesterday on account of the thousands of lookie lous who wanted to get up close and personal with the queen mary 11, which was parkedabout 100 yards from my bus rout.] take care and dont forget that rhysie and ruby are both very cute love jim

hi Jim,

and how exactly do you think we could forget the supreme cuteness of the rube-a-dubes and his rhys-ness. Give them and lindy-loo big hugs from us.

Dad's address is:- Westside Nursing Home
106 Foxley Lane, Purley
Surrey, CR8 3NB
I saw him last weekend, just missing the KCs. He is indeed a popular guy. He was pretty talkative and showed flashes of mischeiviousness (I think!)whilst reading the Cat in the Hat and Hop on Pop, those old favourites.

Wer'e all fine here. Most exciting thing that I can think of is Mark cutting 12 inches off his hair. I know how sad that sounds, but he hasn't let a pair of scissors near his head since Sarah and B Mike's wedding, so this is significant.

Have fun snowboarding.
love Brenda xxxx

Well Well,

So nice to hear from so many folks. It is wonderful to hear news of Dad. You in England are lucky to be within a drive of the home, as are the rest of us to get your news of his doings. Seems like he is doing pretty well.

We are very much looking forward to your visits in July. We really hope you all can make it. Bill pointed out that this is an occasion, other than a funeral, that might get us all together.

Sue is off in Chicago this weekend, visiting Erin. They are snowbound, but then that seems like a a popular state in which to be for the familyriley group. Erin and her mom are, from all accounts having a great old time.

Meghan has been in Laramie since the beginning of January beginning her work on her masters degree, submitting grant applications to fund her trips to Siberia, and coming to grips with her TA duties in the biology lab. She too seems to be having a high old time.

Two weeks ago we were hit with a very, very sad event. On Monday, February 29th Wooster passed away. As the vet said, he lived at 100 miles per hour for 13 years, then crashed. He was having sever problems breathing, causing his heart rate to run at over 220 beats per minute, when he was at rest. His final weekend, he could not keep food down and could not complete a walk. We had to let him go. We had to let him go. It was one of the saddest days in my life! Characteristically his tail was wagging till the end, and he licked my hand goodby.

As Jim says, Wooster is now in doggy heaven. He is no doubt eating as much and as often as he likes, and has discovered the joys of female companionship (I think I heard him exclaim “Those *******s!!” – Sue and me – “I never knew the cost of being fixed. was so high. Give me another bowl of bones! Whoopy!!! This is Heaven” ) And well deserved it is too….

Mike

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Wooster. He was the cleanest dog I have ever encountered. I'm sure puppy heaven will take good care of him, fire hydrants every 2 metres.

oh Mike, how very, very sad. He was such a pal. As I have mentioned before, we are not doggy people, but wooster won us around completely.
love Brenda