Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Elvenwork Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
white powdery residue?

I was surprised to find a sculpture that I have had stored away for a few months having a white powdery resiue on the surface in patches. I used puppen fimo and painted with genesis heat set paints. I did bake the sculpture on a layer of cornstarch but washed it off before to paint. Anybody have any ideas what's gone wrong or what I have done wrong.
cheers,
Nia

Re: white powdery residue?

could it possibly be mould? perhaps from oil from your fingers on the surface of the doll?

I don't know. I was wondering also about acetone. I do use it to smooth sometimes, I know it comes up wth a white residue, but this goes with a wipe of oil or genesis medium.
thanks anyway
Nia

This is a phenomenon I have never seen nor heard of. Is it easily removed? Can you scrape it off with a dull tool? What effect does soap and water have on it, especially a dish soap with mild alcohol. Does diluent or mineral oil make it fade in the same way that it removes PVC particles isolated on the surface after using acetone?
Hoping you find a solution,
Katherine

Hi,

I tried mineral oil and even gave a coat of genesis medium and heat set it, but to my surprise it reappeared.
I've checked my other sculpts and so far no others are affected. phew
I'm now wondering if it is from the genesis paint or medium,since the clay was tinted using the genesis paints, maybe too much oil?

I have given her a good wash with soap and water,but it's back with vengence grrr

With a coat of Genesis medium on top,sealing it, I don't believe there's much you can do. I still don't know what happened or why. It is a puzzle.
Katherine

Thanks Katherine, I have given her a coat of genesis medium and she seems to be holding out ok.

Nia