Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
baked varnish?

i've just received my copy of your fabulous book.
as i'm going through it slowly i was reading the part about making eyes. what varnish did you use? i understand that after you varnish them you bake them, right?
i have a jar of fimo glossy varnish which i think is what is in the picture but it does not say to bake it- in fact it says 'protect from frost AND HEAT'.
could you please clarify??
many thanks

Email  
Re: baked varnish?

Hi there,
First of all, thank you for the kind words about my book. The varnish I used was not a varnish that required baking to harden, simply a non-yellowing, quick drying, water based varnish, compatible with the clay (i.e. not Liquitex), that could withstand baking. Each coat of varnish protects the dry layer of paint beneath, making it easy to wipe off mistakes and correct them as you go through the process of painting. The varnish I currently use is "DecoArt's Dura Clear Satin". It's very hard, once dry and pretty glossy for a satin finish. I can set eyes painted and varnished with Dura Clear in an unbaked
head and they hold up very well. Unfortunately, I've never used Fimo Gloss, so I can't tell you if it meets the needs I listed above (non-yellowing etc.)for making lifelike eyes. It wouldn't hurt for you to make a test eye (with Fimo Gloss) and see if it works for you.
All the best,
Katherine

thank you - i will make a test eye. tho as it actually says 'protect from heat' i don't think it will be suitable to bake.

Email  

well - had a pair of eyes that i had made using coloured dekogel as the iris. they're a bit big and not very good. well i slicked on some fimo varnish on one and baked it for 10 mins. compared to its pair it did become slightly yellow but there was no bubbling or anything else. at the mo i've got a dragon baking (1 1/2 hours) and i put the eye in with it to see if a longer baking time will have any effect.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Cheap Domains