Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
blending clay

I have made a small baby with super sculpey. The hand holds a tilted head, at the base of the cheek. But the base of the neck does'nt blend. Even by adding new
clay, it keeps "opening" itself. Any advice?
Thank you so much. Your forum is helping me a huge lot.
(I did the baby with your booklet, it's great)
Isabelle

Email  
Re: blending clay

Hi Isabelle,
I'm not certain I understand your description of what is occurring. Are you stating that the clay (where the neck attaches to the torso) refuses to blend? Or, are you stating that, once blended, a gap opens at the base of the neck? If it's the former, I suspect a contaminant is causing seperation. In that case, I would clean the surface of the torso clay with alcohol and then try blending again. If it's the latter, I suspect tension or stress caused by the neck armature. Is it strong enough? Could the armature wire be too weak to support the weight of the head? If so, replace it and secure it thoroughly. If it is strong enough, could the neck armature be moving? If so, secure it in the head and the torso with a touch of instant glue. It's important to anaylize and understand the cause in order to correct the problem. I hope I've given you a clue to understanding and solving the problem.
All the best,
Katherine

Re: blending clay

Hi! Thanks so much for those great answers. In fact after putting the head back in it's place, and curing, it's holding fine. Now, I'm using glue that was recomended by someone who's been doing dolls for 20 years. I glued the legs to the torso. But when the glue is dry, the legs come off. It's a kind of superglue. In france we don't have the same brands, so I don't know if you can help. We'll see. Thank you anyway for that wonderful forum. I couldn't work without it!!!
Isabelle

Email  
sanding

My baby doll is made of super sculpey. I have an issue with sanding. I use wet sanding paper from 600 to 1000,
and it does almost nothing. Could it be that my doll is not cured enough? When I sand the back it makes quite a lot of "white dust", and the other parts don't get soft enough. I'm lost!
Please help!!
Isabelle
Thank you so much!!!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting