Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Keeping the finished product slightly soft - Help?

I'm a novice working with polymer clay and have a question: I'd like to make a piece that remains slightly soft as the finished project. It's a cuff bracelet. I will have to be able to manipulate it to go on and off my wrist. Is this possible? I'd appreciate any help you're will to give. Thank you!
- Shari

Email  
Re: Keeping the finished product slightly soft - Help?

Hi Shari,
Welcome to the Elvenwork Forum. Yes, it's possible and surprisingly easy if you use a good quality polymer clay with some ductility to it. Premo, Kato, Cernit and Fimo Classic are brand that have that quality. Sculpey 3 and the original (White) Sculpey are rigid clays that won't work for this kind of project.
I've made several cuffs over the years. All are oval in shape, like the wrist itself. One even looks like a dolphin. If you look through the Elvenwork Archives you'll see it resting on its stand. The opening is slightly is less than the anterior width of my wrist, about a 1 1/4", where my wrist is thinnest. I simply slip it on sideways and turn it so that it fits my wrist. The clay is flexible enough after baking that it doesn't crack or break.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Katherine, thank you for your quick response and great information/advice. Would translucent polymer clay (with some other color mixed in) work in the same way?
Thank you, again!

Email  

Not always. It depends on the Brand. If you want the clay to be more flexible after baking and have a translucent quality, consider using Premo Frost or Fimo's MixQuick (translucent clay extender that happens to add flexibility). The possibility that plaquing (sub surface bubbles) is always a problem with translucent clays. Both Frost and MixQuick are less likely to plaque.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Thank you, again! This information is exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate your help!
- Shari

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com