Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
help my paint wont dry

Help!!! i have spent ages sculpting fingers for a puppet I am making but the acrylic paint I used still feels tacky after a couple of days-I even left them in the conservatory in the heat.
This has happened once before but no where near as bad.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I thought maybe I hadnt let each layer dry but I was wanting them to blend (and i was impatient )
The same paints have dried properly on other models.
If I cant get them to dry can I remove he paint without damaging the fingers and repaint???

Email  
Re: help my paint wont dry

This is a quandry. What brand of paint did you use? Did you use an extender or a clear acrylic medium to make it easier to achieve a blend of colors? Liquitex brand mediums (both the glossy and the matte) remain tacky for months. Other brands may react the in the same manner.
You can remove the paint with alcohol and try again, either with a different brand of paint. Denatured Alcohol, available in the paint department, works fastest, but Rubbing Alcohol will also work.
Once the surface is clean of paint and dry, begin again, using only water as your medium, and let dry several hours between coats to prevent lifting. Delta and Plaid make good quality craft acrylics that have proven compatible with the clay.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Re: help my paint wont dry

Many thanks for that I will check out my paints to see what I have. In the meantime I had some time so I carried on with the project and called him 'sticky' He is a Goblin puppet for my wedding next year and I have many more to make. I found I also had used the wrong strength armature wire, so he has a number of faults that make him quite endearing. Still everything is a learning curve and this site is a fantastic help

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting