Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Can you paint over imperfections to "fix" them?

Hey everyone, this will be my first post on these forums but I have been following them for a few months now. (just started PC)

Anyway, hi!
I did have a question and I tried looking for it to no avail.. Can you paint over a polymer clay piece to 'hide' it's imperfections? Like lint, or scuffs, or color contaminations?

I ask because I make charms and when using white clay I always ALWAYS get some form of lint or dust or fingerprints..anything on it! I've tried sanding them, rubbing them down prior to baking I've tried keeping my work area clean and even using putty or scrap clay to remove said contaminate, no luck.

So would this work? I tried once before but then I realized I needed to seal the clay first. So i'm gonna try that. But just wanted a lil imput from the pros as well.

Thanks!

Email   neko_mistress@yahoo.com  
Re: Can you paint over imperfections to "fix" them?

You can paint over imperfections, but rarely does this "fix" them, not without judicious sanding. Light colored paints, espcially white, catch the light and highlight every textural imperfection.
You've made the right first steps by cleaning your work surface and tools frequently. If the
problem is lint, wear light colored clothing. Are your hands dry from working with the clay? This can raise the ridges in your skin, creating tiny traps for lint and dirt. Use lotion or a lotion soap. Baby Wipes, usually the cheapest brand are a truly wonderful tool to keep on your work bench. Use them to clean and lubricate your hands as you work and clean them often. If possible, wear nitrile or latex gloves when you condition the clay. That's most often the time when lint and dirt become imbedded in the clay, not when you're actually creating, but when you're getting ready to create. Consider brushing the surface with alcohol before baking. Use a clean, soft, synthetic brush and follow up with a clean dry brush. This will remove a lot of surface dirt and lint and help create a smooth finish.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Re: Can you paint over imperfections to "fix" them?

Awesome! Thank you so much for the reply and the suggestions, they really helped a lot. =)

Email   neko_mistress@yahoo.com  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com