Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Forum: Elvenwork Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Brittle and cracking clay

My friend and I would like to make polymer roses. She has experiemented, but after baking the rose petals become brittle and chip easily.

What is the best clay to use for this purpose? We're trying to make wearable necklaces. What should we do to make sure the rose flowers are baked hard and are stable?

Email  
Re: Brittle and cracking clay

Cernit or Kato will probably give you the ductile strength you need. Clay with ductile strength has some flexibility to it and resists breakage. Be sure to read the instructions regarding baking temperature; all of the clays have changed their formulas and their baking temps.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

It does help. Can the clays you mention be colored? The color of polymer clays are the draw. I'm thinking of the green leaf in which you nestled a mouse in your book. I'm going to pull it and see what it says as well.

Thanks.

Email  

Both brands are available in a variety of colors and those colors can be blended to create more colors.

Katherine

I see. I think it's time for me to come into 2011 with my clay knowledge. Thank you!

Email  

Loretta and Katherine,

Mark Dennis shows how to increase strength of your clay by super heating stress areas at:

http://madsculptor.blogspot.com/

He also shows his work step by step and answers any questions. Both you, Katherine and Mark are my two favorite master artists to learn from. I have learned so much from the two of you.

Can not wait to see your next work.

Note to Loretta, my daughter who creates polymer jewelry uses both Kato and Fimo for her work.

Wishing all a verra healthy, prosperous HAPpY NEW YEAR!

~joanna

Email  

Thanks for such good information. I'll check it out gladly.

Kind regards,

Loretta

Email  

Mark uses Jack Johnston's Prosculpt, a very ductile clay made by Polyform, though they like to, and Jack likes to, keep this secret. Polyform also makes Premo, Super Sculpey, and Sculpey III and plain White Sculpey. Sculpey III and White Sculpey both have tensile strength (they are rigid clays) but are very brittle and extra heat will NOT add the ductile strength Mark achieves with a heat gun.
This technique, called "Bumping" can also be done with an oven set to 40-50 degrees above recommended curing temps for 5-10 minutes, but a heat gun held 9-12 inches from the clay is more specific and reliable.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Katherine,

I am in awe of your knowledge.

That is very interesting, i have heard so many people criticize Pro-sculpt and they promote FIMO. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I knew that polyform also makes LIVING DOLL polymer clay sold in Europe and other countries, i have heard it's like Pro-sculpt.

I have learned so much from your forum.

WiSHiNG ALL a very healthy HaPpY NEW YEAR filled with great prosperity where it really counts.

~joanna

Email  

Loretta,

The Sculpty site use to have a color mixing chart, i can not find it, they have changed the site again, here is one from Maggie Maggio:

http://www.maggiemaggio.com/color/index.php?s=cynthia

http://www.maggiemaggio.com/pdf/scales.pdf

Here is the color mix chart for KATO clay:

http://www.vanaken.com/tips_tricks.html

You can web search and find others by searching Polymer Clay color mixing charts.

~joanna

Email  

Thank you so much! What a blessing to have access to this information.

Happy New Year!

Loretta

Joanna, thank you for posting this website for Mark Dennis, I had not seen it before and have enjoyed going through his past posts.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains