Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Elvenwork Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spheres

Hi -- I'm trying to make a 2" round sphere for a piece I am working on but each time my clay cracks and breaks during the baking process. My first attempt I used a styrofoam ball wrapped in aluminum foil with my clay over the top. This didn't work (even though the styrofoam didn't melt or anything). Next I tried just crumpled up aluminum foil but it did the same things.

1. what am I doing wrong?
2. should I use a certain polymer clay for this? (used Sculpey III and also Fimo)
3. Is it even possible?

Re: Spheres

Yes,it is possible. I've done it many times. The clay shrinks about 3-4%, so the clay layer should be 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch thick to accomodate this shrinkage. Sculpey III is a brittle clay after baking, so Fimo Classic or Premo are better choices. Do pay attention of the baking temperature and bake for at least 20-30 minutes depending on the clay thickness. Let it cool in the oven.
Hope this helps,
Katherine

Thank You.....I will try again with your suggestions.

One more question please, What do you use to create your sphere with the polymer clay? (underneath the clay that is)

I've covered large wooden eggs, balls and beads coated with a 1 to 1 mix of liquid Sculpey and white glue (I like Jewel-It)to help the clay adhere. I let the glue mix dry at least one hour before applying the clay. I've used foil; square sheets make round forms and stacking square sheets make larger round forms. I've used a 1 to 1 mix of epoxie clay and paper clay, letting the epoxy cure before coating with the above mentioned glue mix first. For very large forms I've used epoxy clay and made the interior forms hollow. I've also cover styrofoam with foil or epoxy or epoxy/paper clay.
Hope this helps,
Katherine