Return to Website

Elvenwork Forum

This forum has been a way to provide a public exchange of questions and answers for polymer clay sculptors. But, as I said in my final post, there comes a time when all things must end. That doesn't mean the forum used as an archive has nothing to offer. Indeed it is still loaded with questions and answers that remain relevant and which are searchable! For that reason, I'm keeping it available, though no new posts can be added. If after searching the forum your question isn't addressed, Join me on Facebook.com to ask it. As always, you'll find me there as Katherine Dewey. Hope to see you there. --  Katherine

Elvenwork Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
sculpting armor

Hi folks!

I'd like to do a sculpt of a favorite "World of Warcraft" character of mine and I have a small question...When it comes to sculpting figures that wear armor (say, full or half plate armor for example), should I still follow the instructions in Katherines book for sculpting the flesh first, baking,and then adding the armor onto it (to bake it again)? ,I know that there's a taxidermy product called "sculpt epox" that I can use, but it's not exactly something I see at art shops I go into. While I do of course understand that sculpting the figure first will provide the necessary body landmarks that I'll need, I just wonder if it would be an unnecessary step.

Re: sculpting armor

Hi Robert,
I've always found it easier to sculpt armor as if it were the skin, Because armor retains its form, unlike fabric, its overall contours are inherent. This means using slightly more clay than you would use if sculpting a nude figure. How much more depends on the design of the armor, how much it differs from the form beneath. You will have to experiment, but the process of sculpting is essentially the same. The proportions remain true. Only the surface details are different. Have fun and post pictures. If you want more help along the way, just ask.
Katherine

Thank you for the quick reply (sorry mine isn't as quick)!

The funny thing about Warcraft characters, is that even though they are wearing armor, it looks almost like a super hero suit (in some cases skin tight), with big shoulder pads and what not. I think I know where I'm going to go with it now :).

While I am here, I thought I'd ask another question,but this isn't related to armor but it is to my sculpture..

Is Rit dye ok to use on sisal for blond hair?

It will work, but you will probably need to rinse and dye the fibers more than once. With all dyes, it's not the length of time in the dye bath that makes for a darker effect, but the number of times the fiber is successively dyed. So, if, after the first rinse, don't be disappointed, simply blot the hank and stick it back in the dye bath.
Hope this helps,
Katherine