supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best game you played in, and fav. team to play.

I have 2. My first was when i was head coach with the Lima Thunder. We was playin MV Warriors(I think the were the Panthers then) and coach Agee at home and our very young FG kicker kicked a 30 yard field goal to win a great game played both ways. My other was playin the mid ohio jets in National championship last year. Another great game by both teams.They have alot of talented players. Favorite team to play was COL. Met alot of great guys on that team.Great coaching staff and players that were good and played hard. Lets here yours!!!!!

Re: Best game you played in, and fav. team to play.

Way back when I played for the River City Rhinos (1997) We were down by like 20 to the then Kokomo Mustangs. Our head coach got tossed from the game, and our offense decided to come to life along with our defense. We started hitting short routes instead of constantly stretching the field, and I believe our defense pitched a shutout in the 2nd half. With a minute or so left we scored the tieing touchdown, and yours truly kicked the game winning extra point. It was a great game for a couple of reasons. Obviously I think it was great because I was able to connect on the winning kick, but more importantly the team really came together and completed a total team victory.
Brian Clawson
Kicker
Fort Wayne Freedom
WWJD

P.S.
I'll be back later with another post, I have to go pick up my students from music class.

Ok, I'm back. In 2003 I was playing for the Allen County Xplosion, and we were playing the Lagrange County Longhorns in an MFL playoff game. At this time we were the favorites to win the league again, however, we found ourselves in the 3rd quarter and we were down 10-0. Now the reason this was unusual is because earlier int he season we blew them away like 55- 7 or something like that. However, in this game they came ready to play and took it to us for 3 quarters. I think we scored a touchdown in the 4th and with the PAT it made it 10-7. Then with about 3:00 left in the game our drive stalled, so I kicked a 44 yard FG to tie the game up. We kicked off and during the drive our defense intercepted the ball and with about 30 seconds left in the game I kicked a 36 yard FG to win it. The Longhorns played a great game that day, but just couldn't finish it. It's funny though how my great games end with me kicking game winners.
Brian Clawson
Kicker
Fort Wayne Freedom
WWJD

I know alot of the dc warriors of 04' will agree with me on this one. It was the first year of the IFL, and my first taste of semi-pro football. We started the season not so good. the first week, we played the Mercer county cougers and we got handled. lost 24-6 i believe. my worst football game ever. some of us were fighting with eachother, it was just bad. at week 3 we were 1-2. but we pulled together and won out to get to the RCA dome for the first ifl championship against the same team in week one, the mc cougers. We played one heck of a team game and won 28-20. oh the sweet irony!

I would have to say back in the Longhorn days when we had to face the Allen county Explosion in the playoffs. At that time, they were just STEAM ROLLING teams. I believe they were ranked 3rd in the national poll. When we played them in the regular season we lost by 40+. The greatest coach I have ever known, Mr. John Bushman, had us ready to play in that game. We led the entire game and We took them down to the final seconds when thier kicker drilled a 40 yarder. It is the only time I have lost a game and felt ok about it. Every single one of us were beat to hell, outnumbered, outskilled, but not out coached. Our coach cried as he told us how proud he was of us. Truely a game where everything was left on the field. For both teams. This was the first year for the Longhorns, my first year of semi-pro ball. It became addicting after that. I was sore for 2 months after that game.

Hmmm, sounds familiar, but very interesting to hear a different aspect of the story. Hemi, I would definitely say your coach had you guys ready to go. I thought that was the end of our season until those last few minutes.
Brian Clawson
Kicker
Fort Wayne Freedom
WWJD

HA! My bad Clawson....for some reaosn I did not see your post! That's funny, guess we were thinking alike. good call though, and good kicking.

It's quite alright. I guess great minds think alike.
Brian Clawson
Kicker
Fort Wayne Freedom
WWJD

Central Ohio and South Bend had some classic battles that came down to the last play of the game. I am probably partial to these games because we always came out on top.....right Frazier.....We all We got!!!!! Also we had a great game in 2003 with the Lima Warriors at Ada Memorial.....monsoon like conditions, but was a hard fought game til the end!

ALL right Lewis,
Hit the GYM SUCKA Frazier 72

My 1st year I played for the RC Cougars, we played the WC Wildcats and the first time we played them they thumped us 26-6 we had no rythem on O, no discipline on D, the second time around we made practices harder and more intense, so we travel to little Brazil, about a 2 1/2 drive for us in this huge horse trailer we threw couches and futons in, and it's poring non stop the whole way. We finaly get there and start the game and we absolutely came out on fire, 3 and out to start the game then on the punt I blast through to block. The whole time both teams are playing great defense, no turning it over, just man up and stoping each other. So it's toward the end of the game and we have the ball on the 2 going in, ball game tied at 12,they stop us on three running plays then a QB sneak, we go into overtime and lose the game, but it was by far the sloppiest, wettest, mudiest, most exciting and fun game I have experienced on any level of football.

Beast is back...if you missed the Cutters Patriots game from last years playoffs you have no idea what football is about...PERIOD....Fraz, whyd you and ya boys have to change leagues? We had a dance scheduled baby.....?

1. Was one of the years with the Indiana Tornados (2003)I think and we beat the #1 team in the country Racine Raiders by a bunch, I can't remember, it was too long ago. Then turned around the next weekend and beat Kane Co. Eagles. Man, that was a fun year.

2. Was last season w/ the Broncos and we came from behind and beat the Crush in the 4th quarter with 2 seconds left on the clock. Anderson scores on a 40 yrd pass from Galiday, shipman catches a 40 yrd pass down inside the 10 and we score with no time on the clock with a QB sneak to win 20-19. I believe we were down 19 at the half.

I had a lot of good games with the Tornados, but my most memorable games were in the IFL. With this years additions, IFL best league in the Midwest! Keep it going, I am going to miss all you guys.

Claws..

About that Rhino-Mustang game..I remember the extra point so well 'cause I had my back turned while you hit it. I couldnt watch, I remember lookin at the fans, and I let them tell me if you did it.

Best XP ever, even though I never saw it.

That was the best comeback I ever was in.

The Grizzlies had some good ones with Keith Maloy's Rage.. all were close, all were won by the rage (!!)

In my carrer, the only regret I have is that I have never beaten the Racine Raiders...in 4 tries with 2 diff clubs. If you ( other players) ever get a chance to play them at Horlick, youll never forget it!

Hendricks

Hey Hendricks, I had the opportunity to play at Historic Horlick once and it was an experience I will never forget...it is what all semi-pro football should be like. Also, do you have no regrets never beating COL? Lost to them 4x's also(Just messing with you)...we tried like heck to recruit you but never had any luck!

I think that was a great game against Allen county. But tell me this. How long was that 4th quarter? I think that was probably one of my best games also. I had 2 tackles for a loss 1 interception 1 fumble recovery and 1 forced fumble.

COL-

The COL thing is still sorta tough to swallow..but the truth was that as good as we were ( Stampede ) we just couldnt get over that hump, and after a while, you hate to admit it, but you sorta start to accept it, even though you never say it...

But I never hated COL....It was a wierd respect that I appreciated getting beat by such a good opponent.

As far as Racine, I thought our Eagles team's in the 90's were better than Racine, plus I just didnt like the team...so THAT"S why I listed them at #1 for me. Pus as good and LOUD as they are, the FANS were ones I always wanted to give half of the peace sign to. (kidding)
I would LOVED to play for COL..I wish I wouldve..

I always pictured COL and the Stampede were like two huge older brothers..sibling rivalry to speak. We just happened to be the two biggest kids on the block at the same time.

Hendricks

I appreciate the kind words Hendricks. Also I have to agree with your perception of the Bleacher Bums at Horlick Field. However, I wanted to do more than give them the finger....would have liked to go into the stands after a few of them. Unfortunately this has happened from time to time with opposing players having enough. However, I can only imagine what it is like to play for Racine and have that kind of home field advantage.....I have been telling the guys for years that we should schedule a game up there just so they can experience semi-pro football what it used to be like, before it became so diluted!

First Game that will always stick it to me, Id have to say a few years back we were up on the SC Broncos and MC Pirates at Denny... and in the last few seconds of the game, a hitch and go down the sideline in the hands of their speedy wide out!!!

Second would have been that same year against Mercer County

Gotta say, last year's second game against the Broncos, before the playoffs was one of the best games I've ever played in. Things didn't end the way I would have liked them to end....we (the Generals) were beat by a 37 yard field goal with 3 seconds left in the game....after the score had went back and forth the entire game....looking forward to playing them again this year...