supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Team?

We have talked about what the best game you have been involved in was. Now let's talk about the best team you have seen at the semi-pro level. Let's do a ranking.....I will start with a top eleven.

1. Southern Michigan Timberwolves-1999-Regional football league folded and the players from Toledo stayed in the area and played for the T-Wolves. Loaded with D-I talent including Major Harris at QB and Ricky Powers at TB.
2. Kane Co. Eagles-2000-Loaded with D-I talent...big and physical. Leroy McFadden at TB and too much speed to even talk about at WR.
3. Detroit Seminoles-Any year....Big, physical and intimidating to opposing teams as soon as you step our of your car. Have been a dynasty for so long, difficult to name a year that they were better than the other.
4. Cleveland Lions-Also had a dynasty going until this year. Did not always have the most talent in the MCFL, but caused more talented teams fits by playing as a unit and had a ridiculous amount of depth. Were 3 deep at positions and players were unselfish enough not to quit when sharing time.
5. Central Ohio Lions-Another dynasty that has fallen victim to the struggles of semi-pro. Very talented with the likes of Robert Redd and Krishaun Gilmore(Runner up for D-III Heisman). Also had share of D-I talent and were dominating force for many years.
6. South Bend Stampede-Very physical defense....only lost to 2 teams ever(Central Ohio 4 times and to a loaded Michigan Twisters). Great QB in Paul D. and good speed at receiver. But strength was stingy, ball stuffing defense that gave up very few points. In 2004 had a very impressive win against Jackson Bombers on the road.
7. Kokomo Mustangs-1995-Awasome running game with Paul Carter and talent at all positions. Big fronts on offense and defense and good enough passing game to keep you honest.
8. Jackson Bombers-Another dynasty from the MCFL/MFL that no longer exists. In their hay day they hadd the speed and size to play with anyone including a few wins against teams above them on this list.
9. Michigan Twisters-Very good in 2002, beat Stampede in Mid-states finals to win the AA National Championship after only loss being to Jackson in Midwest tourney. Also had wins that season over COL and Southern Michigan.
10. Madison County Chiefs-Early 2000's-were a powerhouse in the old CRFL. Had great offense and talented defense. Not playing any of above teams prevents them from moving up list.
11. Lima Warriors-Dynasty in the building. Just keep getting better and better and may move up the list in future years. Need more notable wins such as 2007 against Cleveland Lions in a contast no one gave them a chance before kickoff.....2008 will be big year for them with Wayne Co. Wolverines, Western Michigan and their old nemesis Grand Rapids on the schedule...

Honorable Mention-Morgan Co. Broncos, Dayton Steelers(mid 90's), Western Michigan Force(2006 National Champions), Flint Fury(mid 90's), Racine Raiders(only played against/saw them once-or they would probably be on the list), Columbus Battlestars(mid 90's), Middle Georgia Stallions(2004, Huntington Hawks and the Dayton Cowboys.

I have not seen the current versions of the South Central Broncos or the Adams Co. Patriots. Also I have never seen in person the Marlboro Shamrocks who have won multiple National Championships.

Re: Best Team?

That is a frightening list of teams. That would make for one hell of a schedule huh? The Patriots are spreading out and playing big games ie: wolverines. If they continue to play these types of games and win.... thier stock will soar. The S.C. broncos, not to be mistaken for the M.C. Broncos, have got thier share of league championships, but have not played anybody outside worth raising for. As one poster said, They aquired a lot of talent in a short amount of time that the other teams in league could not. But like they said, teams are catching up....This should be the year for the broncos to either shut everyone up, or prove the statement above.

The A.C. Patriots a dynasty what are you kindding me.
05 - They won 1 game.
06 - they went like 6-3
07 - was the best year for them 12-1 i think with the only L coming to us the Indiana Mustangs.
You cant be a dynasty with what you see.

The Broncos have played some good talented teams. The only thing is that it takes more than a few years to become a dynasty.

Honorable mention from myself to the RiverCity Rhinos-Allen Co Xplosion.
After the 1st year of the Xplosion, they were one of the best.

The Carolina Storm of the 90's were very tough, but they jst happened to run into to tougher (THEN Called Dupage) Eagles team from Il. (Now Kane Co.) twice in the National Championship in FL.

Old Tymer, I'd like to know who you are, I'm sure we've either faced off or wore the same jerseys before.

Hendricks

Honored to be on that list. There are some real powerhouse teams on there. Hopefully in 2008 we can bolster our resume and move up the list. With Akron, Wayne County, West Michigan and Grand Rapids on the schedule (and all back to back to back to back) the Warriors will be battle tested this year.

Great post! Glad to see someone with such a depth of knowledge about semi-pro ball.

Ol Man....as a clue I played against you on the River City Rhinos as a member of the Dayton Steelers...you guys beat us in Ft. Wayne and I beat your Stampede as a member of the Central Ohio Lions.....I don't think you were a part of the Eagles when I played them in Fairborn(where you played against COL) as a member of the Dayton Drive(1st version)....so I guess my record against you is 5-1?

Oh yeah!??? Well...ummm.....ya see........the thing is..........well.....My dog can whip your dog!

(No, thats not true either, my dog is actually a cat..you win)

Did you play any of the Elkhart Grizzlies squad?

Hendricks

Old Tymer, what position did you play?

Hendricks

No I have never played the Grizzlies and I play FB....this should be easy.