General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wolverines defeat Sharks

Hardin County Wolverines- 40
Tri State Sharks 12

Re: Wolverines defeat Sharks

Let me be the first to say: HOLY SHIT! You're playing football already? The permafrost is still on some parts of our country. What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?!?

Seriously, though- how bout some details from the game and what, indeed, you all are doing playing so early. Most of our teams here are 2+ months out from preseason.

Supa,

The reason we are playing so early is that each year we do a big charity fundraiser game, this time benefitting Big Brothers Big Sisters. We try to do it while school is still in session to take advantage of those resources in getting the word out about the game. The only date available at the hosting school was April 26th. We are playing Team Canada, Canada's all star amateur team. In order to be prepared adequately, we felt it important to get at least one game in ( against the Shark), have a week analyze our own film to correct mistakes, then still have time to implement changes and a new game plan. I'm glad we did have this game. I would not wanted to be so sloppy in our Preseason main event on 4/26.

As for game details, here is the write up in our local paper, the news enterprise.

Thanks
Hop

SEMI-PRO FOOTBALL: Wolverines shake off eight turnovers, rust to beat Tri-State Sharks

By NATHANIEL BRYAN
Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:03 AM CDT

VINE GROVE — With all of the rust he was around Saturday, longtime Hardin County Wolverines coach Tyrone Young should be in the mood to get a Tetanus shot at Hardin Memorial Hospital.

Instead, because of the effort of Brandon Ditto and other players gave, Young feels just fine about the way the area’s only semi-professional football team played in its season opener at J.T. Alton Middle School.

A former Meade County High School star, Ditto had three sacks and found the end zone as the Wolverines surged past the first-year Tri-State Sharks from Ohio, 40-12.

Ditto’s outing outshined a sloppy effort by the rusty Wolverines, who turned the ball over offensively eight times and saw their penalties hit double digits in only their second game since November.

“He (Young) told us we still have a lot of stuff to work on, but he was satisfied,” said Ditto, whose defense pitched a shutout for 59-of-60 minutes. “He wants us to be twice as good next time we play because he knows we have a great team and we need to show it.”

That great team, which has made back-to-back appearances in invitation-only national bowls, took control against the Sharks early.

The Wolverines forced the Sharks into a three-and-out on their opening possession and went 42 yards in three plays down to the Sharks’ goal line before fumbling the ball away for the first of four times on the night.

Hardin County’s defense held strong with another three-and-out and Shaun Boykins cashed in three plays later as the former Murray State receiver scored on a 37-yard reception from quarterback Kendrick Johnson.

On the extra point try, the Wolverines fumbled and an alert Ditto pounced on the ball and forced his way into the end zone.

Hardin County carried a 20-point lead into the second quarter as Marvin Swope scored on a 2-yard run around the left side and Ray Huff returned an interception 20 yards for a score after it was tipped by a teammate.

Huff’s interception capped off a dominating first quarter by the Wolverines’ defense, which limited the Sharks to five yards in their first 12 plays.

“Any good defense wants negative yardage,” said Hardin County’s Rodrick Tinker. “No knock against them, but we haven’t reached the hard part of our schedule yet. If we can hold those teams to five yards or whatever on 12 plays, then we’ll be happy.”

Don’t let Tinker fool you.

He was already happy.

Saturday marked the first time the three Tinker siblings n twins Rodrick and Rodney and younger brother Byron, who just finished playing for Marshall n took the field in a regulation game at the same time.

Although the twins usually anchor the Wolverines’ offensive line, they started on defense with Byron in the Wolverines’ new 3-5 stack monster scheme.

“This was something I’ve always dreamed of and it was exciting,” Tinker said. “I never really thought it would happen, but the chance finally came and we took advantage of it.”

After the Wolverines’ initial scoring surge, the score didn’t change until the fourth quarter. But the teams combined for five touchdowns in the final 15 minutes as the Sharks scored on a 70-yard interception return and a 16-yard pass and the Wolverines scored on a 17-yard run by Phil Allen, a 65-yard interception return by former Elizabethtown three-sport standout Chris Williams and a 40-yard reverse run by former North Hardin track star Aaron Coney. Williams finished with two interceptions, while Coney picked off the Sharks’ second conversion attempt.

The Wolverines have a three-week break before they take the field against the Canadian Amateur National Team at 1 p.m. April 26 in their third annual Wolverine Classic at Elizabethtown’s Doug Smith Memorial Stadium.

“This gives us a chance to rest up and regroup and get back to doing what we do,” Ditto said, “getting a ‘W.’”

Supa,

Why don't you come in for the Wolverine Charity Classic III on April 26th?
I'm fairly certain there won't be any other significant games going on. It will be a good chance for you to see us live and in person, and this is our signature event. Team Canada will be quite the challenge, but i'm hoping that we will be competitive.
If you're interested, let me know and i'll reserve you a vip ticket and a seat in the press box.

I look forward to seeing you there

Hop