supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LEADERSHIP

I have been thinking alot lately about this semi pro league. I think back to when i was in high school and college and every team had at least 1 leader. Someone who kept the team up, they were at every practice, werent afraid to correct someone instead of just letting the coach do it. They would know the plays and know every persons position on their side of the ball. I dont see that alot, at least where im at. I am a rookie and there is only a couple other guys on the team who get excited about football. To me it doesnt matter if it is practice or not, its freakin footbal!
The other thing that gets me and i know it makes alot of other people mad. Now this may only be on one team but im sure it happens alot. If you want to be on the team, adn you want to play, and you want to be a "semi pro all star" or whatever, then come to practice ON TIME. Dont wait till have the practice is up and were are through all of the "boring" drills and conditioning and then show up for the scrimage. Its a team sport and everything happens as a team. As for my team, we need to come together as a team, practice as a team, play like a team, be at practice and be there on time. If the veterans dont want to step up then the rookies will.

Re: LEADERSHIP

Welcome to the world of what most folks call "Semi-Pro" football. To a certain degree, it has always been like this. I played from 1979 thru 1985. It was this way back then with the teams I was affiliated with.

I do not think that these types of endeavors will ever reach the same levels of compliance that you see in a high school or college program. The "semi-pro" game lacks the incentives and mechanics that high school and college programs have. In those programs, there are ways that a given program can "force" a high degree of compliance. It is arguable that even "the real" professional game will ever see 100% compliance whatwith reports of players that hold out and "no-show" at mini-camps and training camps "for various reasons" and even with the threat of hefty fines. Too, these organizations only reflect real life. There are basically, very few workplaces that can boast 100% attendance and lack of tardiness at any given time.

What it comes down to (IMHO) is that "the best" organizations display the positive traits you refer to at a higher degree than the programs that tend to flounder around at the bottom or midlevel of the standings board. Even this criteria is not a "true" reflection of an organization as it is too easy for a given team to overcome or gain a competitive edge simply by gaining a preponderance of talent.

In the past, this issue tended to be somewhat cyclical in nature. As there were few teams and obvious turnover over time, team leaders would come and go. When a given team had several "key elements" involved, the program surged to the top and when they did not, it settled down in the pack.

At the end of the day, the teams that DO have several of "the key elements" you elude to will prove to be better over the long haul. Like most everything else, an endeavor is what you make of it. In this case, what "A TEAM" makes of it.

At this time, your given team may lack "the key elements" neccessary to raise it to the level you hope for. This does not mean that it will always be so. It simply means that "there is an opportunity" for some to "step-up". The other alternative which seems to be becoming all too common is that people dissatisfied with a program will choose to start their own. This feeds into the highly transitive nature of the game we see today.

3 words:

fort fayne freedom

#73 Crush

Skipping conditioning drills...

Every team will have jackasses that pull this crap. I played from 1996-2007 and we had players that did this on every team I was on.

What the players who are doing the work on the team need to do is take it upon themselves to correct it:

1. Call them out during practice. Make sure everyone can hear you. "What makes you better than anyone else on this team?" I'm confident they won't have an answer.

2. Anyone who skips conditioning intentionally, you know who they are, has to endure additional conditioning monitored and administered by the players who put in the work. This continues until cheaters are "caught up". If they stop coming to practice because of this, then it wasn't meant to be. Any player who has any pride in himself will not back down from a little extra conditioning that he deserves.

3. Cut them and look for guys who will fit your system. They're out there... good players, too. Recruiting is key in semi-pro football. Most teams put an ad in the "throw away paper" and call it a day. Then try and make it through the season with 15 players. Look for guys all season long, within your roster limitations.

If you don't police it, it gets out of hand and starts to wear on the patience of the other players. Then your players start thinking, well if they don't have to do it, why should I?

True leaders in semi-pro football are the guys that show up for practice, give 100%, pay their dues, are solid representatives for their team, bring players together, and make things happen on the field.

Anyone who skips conditioning intentionally is a coward. Period.

Players actually gets cut from "semi-pro" football?

Bcarter what team do you play for and what's your name

i play for the shamrock...my name is Brandon Carter

Just to clear some things up also...
There ARE several guys on the team that do step up. Both veterans and rookies, but i havent seen that at every practice. My concern is that those "Semi pro all stars" that think they dont need to practice is going to rub off on the rest of the team. Its a cancer that is easily spread. If they keep it up its going to kill the whole team. They know who they are also. Thats why we need that person whos not afraid to step on some toes at every practice.