supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Please read and help with tough decision

I need some advice from the semi-pro community.

I am an owner of semi pro team and have a very difficult, but at the same time simple decision to make.

Here is the dilemma: One of my players chose to play with another team for a tournament. We still have one more game to play, but in our bye week he plays for this team. The team that he went to play for is our most bitter rival. I saw the player suited up for the other team with my own eyes, and he saw me. He never said anything, instead he tried to hide. Our team has gone through great ups and downs, and always stuck together. I was shocked and disappointed to see one of our most valued and liked guys playing for our enemy (for lack of a better word; however there is considerable bad blood between the two teams). I viewed this as an act of betrayal and disloyalty.

The player has not even had the decency to call me and to acknowledge his actions. Instead, he told players he did not know that we had anymore games, and he simply just wanted to keep playing (we have already played 15 games and a championship game). He is not telling the truth, he was fully aware of our game. What should be done in this matter?

I have left out names of players and teams in order to get an honest, unbiased opinion.
Please help with meaningful, respectful comments.

Thanks

Re: Please read and help with tough decision

I WOULD NOT GO FURTHER WITH IT. GOOD PLAYER OR NOT HE BETRAYED YOU AND THE TEAM. I WOULD LET HIM GO JUST FOR BETTER REASON THAT HE WENT TO PLAY WITH A RIVAL AND TRIED TO HIDE. YOU JOIN WITH A TEAM YOU STAY WITH A TEAM!!!!

MY OPINION

This has everything to do with loyalty and mutual respect. Loyalty from your player and mutual respect from the other team owner, rival or not.

Loyalty is important at this level of football. Guys don't get anything out of it financially. Being able to rely on your teammates is probably more important than at a professional level because the only reason we're out there is to have fun and to try and win. Loyalty is the only way to prove yourself to your teammates in my opinion. It's one thing to finish out the season and then go to another team. That just happens. But if this player has not been willing to contact you before or since this incident and obviously has been sneaking around to do it, then it seems to me there's no loyalty there whatsoever.

The other side is the other team owner. don't know what league you're in but I would think most leagues do things similarly. At some point in the near future, that team owner has to look you in the eye and justify his actions. There is supposed to be understood agreements that you don't let someone else's player play for you without working it all out. If someone truly isn't happy with the team they're playing for, I would think that all parties involved could work it out. But be on the up and up about it. In the case of our team, we have our players sign an agreement that they are with us till the end of the season and it is respected through the league. I know that's not always the case, though.

My opinion is to take the high road about it but the player is done playing for you. I would also address the lack of respect from the other owner but do it in a professional manner as you've already done here. And bring it up with the league as well because all the owners should be respecting your roster. That's the way I would handle it.

Bill Bosworth
East Central Wolverines

OK then. Bill he plays for your team, and you let him on your team. thats pretty low Bill to get on here and say this, but yet your are the guy.

Thanks Bill Bosworth

What?

What the heck are you talking about? We didn't have anyone play for us in any "tournament" because we didn't have any. The MFL had no bye weeks this year except for Labor Day. Explain to me what you are talking about. If by "tournament" you mean playoffs, we played one playoff game and lost to the Vikings and our roster was locked in before that happened and no one was on that field that I didn't know. So explain.

Sorry, I'm a retard.

So, no more response to this?

Bill, I posted this message to get some insight on a problem I'm having. The other "Semi Pro Owner" is not me.

Excuse the the nonsense.

Thanks