supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Fun League

After scoring a touchdown this afternoon in the heavy snow outside of Boston, Patriots wideout Wes Welker dropped to the ground and made a snow angel in the snow at the back of the end zone.

For this affront to all that is wholesome and good in the world, Welker was charged with an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I humbly submit that there is something deeply wrong with the league's celebration policy if this kind of act gets punished. I am all for stiff penalties for taunting or disrespect, but if players cannot share the joy of the game or demonstrate the very essence of their shared humanity with all of us --for God's sake, a snow angel-- then we need to revisit just what professional sports is all about.

Can I get a witness?

Re: No Fun League

There's a couple ways to look at it. Personally, I like a guy who scores the touchdown, flips the ball to the ref, and goes on about his business. After all, a touchdown means he did what he's getting paid to do. Also, some of these guys are so full of ego and they're just trying to keep their names and images on the highlight reels. They don't do it because they are truly excited about it. And that particular touchdown wasn't exactly a come-from-behind game winner. It was just adding to an already substantial lead.

However, I've heard many semi-pro players talk about playing for the love of the game and we all know that a lot of NFL players forget how lucky they are to be playing at that level and to be getting paid to do it. Welker doesn't seem to be a guy who's like that and it seemed he really was just celebrating a good play and having fun. Maybe they should have cut him slack.

Last weekend in Cincinnati, Chad Johnson, who we all know is "Mr. All-About-Me" made one hell of a great catch. He tip toed the sideline and crossed into the Redskins bench after being pushed out. He managed to get stopped and politly, without ANY disrespect AT ALL, flipped the ball to Clinton Portis who was sitting on the Redskins bench. Portis smiled and laughed. He even shrugged his shoulders like "oh well,,,no harm, no foul." The ref's threw the flag and called Johnson for Unsportsmanlike conduct-taunting.
Ok, I know we are talking about Chad but come on. He has not visited the endzone many times in 2008 but everytime so far he has not celebrated at all. Come on NFL. Let's not take our favorite sport to the extreme. If I want to watch stale reactions to good plays, I'll watch golf.

I thought they could only call unsportsmanlike conduct if they used a prop or if it was a group celebration? Either way they have to fix this with some players getting called for it and others not. I dont think an single player celebrating should be penalized unless it is provoking the other team. I do see why chad was penalized because if it wasnt a player like clinton portis that is usually a good sport and a different player retaliated it could have been ugly.
Either way COME On MAAAN!

lol.....I think alot of the no celebration rules are b.s. I don't think guys should celebrate every first down or every big play. But if they get in the endzone, as long as they aren't delaying the game or personally taunting the other team right in their face, it should be legal. My opinion is if the other team don't want to see thier celebrations, don't let them in the endzone. They are grown men, and they are supposed to be playing a fun game. Not all celebrations are made to disrespect the other team. Oh and Mike, I do think Chad should have been penalized, but not for the ball flip, but just because I am a little IRATE that they beat my team. lol

You can also not go to the ground for a celebration. I don't know if many of you saw the Jets/Seahawks game but for the final pick of Farve, the cb ran to the endzone threw snow in the air a-la Lebron, then jumped into the stands, and no flag.

This is rediculous. The lack of consistancy across the board makes the NFL a joke and Goddell look like a jackass.

another thing im tired of seeing already is players changing their damn names! first ocho cinco, now is stylez G white or formally known as greg white.. whose next Plaxico He hate me? better get a grip and have a clear rule because vince mcmahon is gunnin for your job goodell and it will be the XFL.

I knew as soon as I wrote that, that Gross would take that side.lol. Is it Chad's fault that the Redskins have the self proclaimed worse coach in the NFL.
I did see the Seahawks/Jets game and you're right. Isn't throwing snow in the air the same as using a prop? And what about the Packers? Isn't the Lambeau Leap using the fans as a prop? That's it. I quit football. I am going to the library and checking out a book!! (Gee I hope the little kids section still has a copy of the Little Train that Could)

lol, the truth is that ocho cinco is one of the funnest players in football. yeah, he runs his mouth alot, and he did make a fool of himself in the offseason, but you have to admit when the guy has a qb, he is every bit as good as he says he is. football is emotion, when players score they should be able to celebrate.

It's all about consistency my friends. If T.O. gets a penalty for pay homage to Usain Bolt (the track stance following a touchdown), then you must penalize Wes Welker for his disregard for the NFL rules also.

what about the nfl babying the qbs. Most of those penalty's are ridicules, they act like the kickers now. if someone runs by them or touch them they fall down and act like there hurt.

heres the sad thing about the welker celebration. no matter if it was us diehard football warriors talking about it, it would be others talking about how it was demeaning to their religion. i mean c'mon its kinda a win/lose situation. however i do agree let the guy go with it. personally i think its the best celebration i have seen yet (other than the stinky pinky in the IFL allstar game).

I cant believe they fined him $10,000 for making a friggin snow angel!!! thats telling kids around everywhere dont go playing in the snow if you want to be a football player. Horrible! just horrible!!!