supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motivation!!

What semi pro player - coach - or Owner motivated you the most to be the best player-coach or owner you were or currently are. I know most of us came into the game alone, but if we do it the right way, none of us leave it alone.
I also know there are some real good stories out there.

Fess up!

Re: Motivation!!

In 2000 I played with a guy name Herman Jones. Herm was a WR and DB for us. We would drive to practice together sometimes becuase he lived close to me. Herm would come to practice early and stay late and work with me. He played hurt and never gave up.
As for a coach, two of them Coach Jones & Dane Hill. Coach Jones is the reason that I have the drive that I do.
He showed me how to watch film and pick up the small things. He made me never let anyone out work me. He explained to me that we will all lose at some point but to never be ok with it. He also showed me how to be a better father to my twin girls.
Dane showed me that you should give every man a chance to show what he can do. Be fair and never cheat. I learned a lot about the X's & O's of the game. Im not sure if there is a better X's & O's man in semi-pro football than Dane. We (Chiefs & Pirates players) would eat at applebee's and talk about football for hours. I miss that. He showed me that you have to get to know your players outside of the game to get them to trust you and for you to trust them. I was blessed to have two great men be apart of my life.
Also Dr. Hill danes brother. Great man I could talk to him on the phone for hours about football and life.

I know it says Semi-Pro, but one of my biggest motivators was my High School Coach John Houser, now at Fort Wayne Snider. He didn't make me feel unappreciated because of my position(kicker). He never had to get on me to practice or get in the weight room, and he praised me for that and that's what motivated me, the recognition of my hard work.

Now at the semi-pro level, a lot of my motivation came from playing with a guy named Greg Hardmon. This guy was a great receiver and his hard work pushed me to be better. He was on the first team I ever played for the River City Rhinos in 1996. I was very mediocre that year and as my coach would say, he'll miss the first PAT and make all the rest. Greg didn't know it, but his ability pushed me, because I knew I could be better.

With all credit to those gentleman, but quite a bit of my motivation came from within. I hate not being good at what I do, it really bothers me. Other than the desire to be the best I can be, it boils down to passion. I have an overwhelming passion for what I do. I look forward everyday that I can practice my skills. I look forward every game I can display my skills and help my team win.

Brian Clawson
Kicker/backup Punter
Noble County Wolfpack
WWJD

1st Semi Pro Coach Jim Nugent who taught me the game.

1st Coach who beleived in me as a player, Craig Zent

Coach who I learned more in one season than any other - Dane Hill

Players - Darryl Hill wr - Chiefs _ I watched him play and knew where the bar was set for me...

David Overla - Warriors - A smaller player who made plays like he was 6'5'.

Harold Frasier - Paul Digiacomo - Stampede - Greatest motivators and leaders I ever player along side of.

(Greatest team ) I know it doesnt say this..but the best team I ever was associated with was the 2003 Stampede. If there ever was a real family of players..this was it. If you played us at the time, you knew what I am talkin about (Except that DAGGONE COL who we never beat!!!!!)

As a coach, I still am trying to figure this thing out, so I have respect for the entire offense of the Generals last year who were patient with what we we trying to do, AND me. But there were 4 players who actually motivated me to keep pushin, Tony Appleby, Tony Laws, Matt Childress and Pat Wood. These guys are great people even moreso than outstanding athletes.

And as far as an owner of the 2008 Xbox Stl Rams, I want to thank WR Donnie Avery who - no matter how many times I hit the B button, he is not fast enough to get away from Brian Dawkins, but can stiff arm his way into the endzone.
(That would never happen in a million megabytes, though I took the 6 but lost 31-14 anyway)

If I forgot anyone, whaddya want from me, I'm like 60.

Hendricks

I almost forgot, WR Joe Zuenik is another player/teamate I can say is among the top I have known-coached.

Hendricks

All I know is that I went to the gym with Turnhue once and that dude is a freak. NEVER go to the gym with him, he will kill you.

If your going to the Gym to relax, do that at home. If your not sore after you leave, you've cheated yourself.

What im not 6'5"??? You should have put yourself on that list, anyone who can play as long as you did, and still have the ability make plays everytime your one the field is one bad mamajamma in my book. And believe it or not a little guy named Maloy, who i had to wait till some guy got hurt for him to put me in the game.

i was a first year wrestler. never done it before. on a power house team got my ass whipped on a daily basis.was very close to quiting. one day i felt like passing out from working so hard. the head coached looked me in my neyes and said - don't quit i will make u a champion- i continued to work hard for 3 yrs and became on winnin semi-state

Brian, I didn't motivate u as a WR, I think I was the best DB that ever covered u, besides Redd. Just playin, good luck in ur coaching career, thats's not u, u belong on the field until u turn 50.

C-

There were hundreds ( literally ) of players- coaches who made me a better player. There isn't a message board big enough to list them all. But yeah, you AND your Bro were huge in that respect to me.

The guys I named were either people/players that I saw in them what I wanted to be more like, or people who saw in me what I never did.

You outta give your bro some prop here..he was almost ready to hang 'em up in 2000 when he didnt get much PT the 1st season with the Grizzlies....only to come back and lead the Stampede in rushing every year after.
I know that had to feel good to watch him. It sure as he** was good to block for him!

Overla..I have a game tape you outa see...gimme a holla

Hendricks

Hindricks

Contact me through my email. overla86@msn.com I will give you my address, i would tell you it on here but you know how all those semi-pro groupies are..

Overla

Whats up with my name on the previous post?

Tommie isom. when we sit and talk about football he make me more motivated. and u already no this ya boi DG#82

Im sorry to announce this on here, but i want everyone to know... im gay!!!! im out of the closet. so i cant wait for you men to wrap me up

So is that your motivation? That was funny though!

sorry forgot to tag my last post.
Brian Clawson
Kicker/bu Punter
Noble County Wolfpack
WWJD

Well the number 1 coach that I should be praising is Jesuse Christ; He has shocked and surprised me time and time again with his clarity and guidance.Since playing semi-pro football, I have been blessed to meet a few positive people who happens to love football too. I think that Terhune was the best; He has a way with his words that makes me want to knock a head or a neck off. Coach K.C. has a lot of respect from me, because of all of the hard work he has put in for our level of football. Coach Hooten would also be a coach who influenced me, with his no nonsense approach to every play.........Its a few players out there, younger and older than me that I has motivated me from time to time......... JC(indianapolis sabers)for his leadership, Terry Moore for his damn speed(Im jealous), Simmie for being a all around player.

AB I have to second you on JT. Before a game no doubt he makes you feel like you can take over the whole world. Good luck to you AB this season.