supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Football and back problems.....

Three weeks ago, I was rushed to the doctor with severe chest pain and shortness of breath....my heart was fine, after some x-rays, my doctor found out that I have some "severe" back issues. Gentlemen, if you're still playing football or have played in the past, I highly recommened getting your back checked out....My back situation is most likely a result of injuries sustained during football that never got taken care of, and now things are so out of place that my nervous system is being affected. We only get one back guys, and if we want to keep playing into our 30's, we gotta take care of it.....just a public service announcement....

Re: Football and back problems.....

Brother I'm with you there....
although my back injury was a result of a mishap during the Gulf War, I live in constant pain...
but of course Uncle Sam is doing his part to relieve the pain...

But when the Doctor looked at my X-rays and MRI's he was like....man you need to give up playing ball...
He said there was scars in my back probably dating back from playing ball in High School..
Oh I graduated in 1986

So all those hits that took a little extra effort getting up in the morning....
trust me, I'm sure there is some proof that it happened...might take an x-ray or something but that stuff is serious

A chiropractor is a football players best friend. My back had no curve and was bent to the right. Through some rehab and back cracks I feel great.

If I could afford it, I'd see a chiropracter three times a week, that's what a lot of NFL guys do.....

I am only able to see mine b/c I got some good insurance. Otherwise I feel you on that. It cost 15 bucks a pop. No pun intended.

back in 2000 and 2001 when I played for the Lake County Steelers....they had a chrio as their trainer...
dude couldnt do much on the field when you got hurt, but damn, I loved him after the games

As i read this post i am off work for the past week due to a herniated disc in my lower lumbar. i have been going to a chiropractor w/ slow results, although my parents swear by them. My chiropractor told me that he has no problem with me still playing ball, which i was relieved to hear. i just can't quite give this game up yet. He also recommened that i received adjustments from him once every 2 weeks. i was wondering if anyone else who has went to a chiropractor during the season and has noticed a difference.

I love mine. I had a back problem for 2 months with no relief. I was seeing mine 2x a week though. After about the 3rd visit I was seeing relief. I had a pinched nerve, and the pain was going to the knee. I go every 2 weeks now just to stay adjusted properly. It also depends on the chiro too. Some are better then others.

ive noticed that. this is the 2nd chiro i have went to and this 2nd one is a lot more aggressive!! i got hooked up what most people would think could be a torture device today....lol but what it was he hooked a belt around my waist and then strapped my chest down so my upper body wouldn't slide. from the waist belt hooked a belt from the bottom and top and a machiene that pulled the straps tight IT FELT GREAT!!! he started at 75lbs of pressure. he also now has moved off of elect. stim to ultra-sound so it seems like he realized it was worse than he orig. thought

You guys are scaring the crap out of me with this chiropractor talk. Proven FACT. Chiropractors are dangerous. I am fortunatly still walking proof. I visited a chiropractor several times a month when I was in my late 20's to early 30's. After each adjustment I felt great! No problems. Now I am 46. I have Cervical Spendylosis. This is a degenerative disc disease that was triggered and complicated by chiropractors slipping your boney disc over the top of each other to allign them. Hence the popping sound and sensation.
I have lost feeling in my neck, lower lumbar, and arms. This will not get better. Chiroprators slip and manipulate your disc back into their normal position relieving pressure off your spinal cord. But that is it. There is no strengthening the back and neck muscles to keep your vertibrae in line. I went through physical theropy 3 times a week for 6 months to strengthen and support my spine.
I saw where one of you were put into cervical traction. The machine acting like a rack and pulling you apart. THAT IS GREAT!! It does allign your spine. But you need strengthening and conditioning to keep everything alligned.
Key point here then I'll let you decide. Every single one of you stated that you feel great after visiting your chiropractor several times a month to get adjusted. Each visit makes him richer. They don't do it for free, so they want you to come back often. If your going to see a chiropractor then strengthen the back muscles. It will save you in the long run.

Mike K

thanks for the info mike!

I agree, the stronger the back is the better you will feel.

Voice of the mustangs you hit on the head. It seems everyone is so scared to strengthen their back for fear of injuring it. I talk to guys at work who complain of back pain and I tell them then need to do back strengthening exercises like good mornings. I constantly hear oh that will hurt your back! Hey I'm not complaining about back pain you are. Some of sit in office chairs all day while our core muscles atrophy and wonder why we have back pain. All those guys whose back is out of alignment is because they do not have the proper core strength to hold it in place. Notice I said "core" this includes your abdominal muscles obliques and back. The chiropractor is a temporary fix. Long term you need additional core strength to hold your back and hips in their correct alignment.