supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swine Flu

i just want to say that this thing looks to be staying a while, so i just want to tell teams and players to be safe and if you think you might have it don't let your team suffer by giving it to them. Be smart and stay safe.
Any other thoughts about this?

Re: Swine Flu

From Wikipedia.org:

"The 2009 flu outbreak in humans that is widely known as "swine flu" apparently is not due to a swine influenza virus. It is due to a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that derives from one strain of human influenza virus, one strain of avian influenza virus, and two separate strains of swine influenza virus. The origins of this new strain are unknown, and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that this strain has not been isolated in swine. It passes with apparent ease from human to human, an ability attributed to an as-yet unidentified mutation. The strain in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person makes a full recovery without requiring medical attention and without the use of antiviral medicines. "

Sooooo.....

Basically it's just a variation of the flu. The few dozen death's occoured in people with weak or compromised immune systems(very young children or the elderly). Since most of them occoured in Mexico, it's probably safe to assume that the majority of the people who died from it didn't seek medical attention and were probably never immunized properly for lack of healthcare.

To avoid it, people should take care to bathe regularly, wash their hands, trim their fingernails, and not drink after each other. Basically stuff that people should do anyway.

Until the Black Plague hits, I'm not going to panic.

I agree, I'm not going to sweat it any more than regular flu.

Swine flu facts from the CDC:

What is swine flu?

Swine flu is a rarely fatal respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza virus that regularly causes flu outbreaks in pigs, mostly in fall and winter. The virus mutates easily, but the main type is a particular strain called H1N1.

What are the symptoms?

Similar to seasonal flu and include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. May include runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

How is it caught?

The virus can be directly transmitted from pigs to people and from people to pigs. Human infection with flu viruses from pigs are most likely to occur when people are in close proximity to infected pigs, such as in pig barns and livestock exhibits housing pigs at fairs.

Human-to-human transmission occurs mainly through person-to-person transmission through coughing, sneezing or touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

It is not transmitted from eating pork products. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160-degrees kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.

The CDC estimates that about 36,000 people died of flu-related causes each year, on average, during the 1990s in the United States.

People die of regular flu virus's every year. Stay healthy stay CLEAN. Showering makes a big difference. I am an EMT so i wash my hands alot and protect myself. Just remember that.

Good luck to all players and teams this year
Gonna try and stop at some games

The bigger issue here is the routine, medically unnecessary use of antibiotics to promote the enhanced growth of livestock is making disease-causing bacteria more resistant to the drugs, which diminishes their power to treat life-threatening diseases in humans.

For centuries, infections like pneumonia and tuberculosis caused by bacteria were a major cause of disease and death. The discovery of antibiotics has proven critical in greatly reducing infectious diseases, and protecting public health relies heavily on the use of these drugs. But repeated exposure to antibiotics enables resistant strains of bacteria to evolve. Some bacteria are naturally resistant, so they survive treatment and multiply.

When antibiotics are given again, the resistant bacteria remain. As the resistant strain within the bacterial population increases over time, the drugs become less effective. The more antibiotics we use, the more likely it is that bacteria will become resistant. The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of Sciences, estimated that the annual cost of treating antibiotic-resistant infections in the U.S. might be as high as $30 billion.

The increased use of antibiotics in animal production has gone hand-in-hand with the development of industrial-style livestock operations. Thousands of animals are crammed into the unhygienic, crowded quarters of a typical factory operation, and antibiotics are dispensed constantly through the animals' feed. Twenty-five million pounds of antibiotics are fed to American livestock annually. This is about 70% of the total amount of antibiotics produced in the U.S. each year and eight times more than the amount used as human medicine.

Yea we need to go back 50 years and produce animals the old fashion way. Let them live on dirt, mud and internal parasite filled enviroments that would not bacically cut most farms production by 50 % . Then the price for the consumer would rise 100 to 150 % and the millions of people staving now in the world and US would got ahead a knock off and we could lower a new group into that sec of our population. And lets keep doing what the doctor says jamming more antibotics down little johnnies throat every time he get a some throat because if a few cycles of antibotics are good then several must be way better. So go out and throw down on some good dandelion greens for lunch, and don't worry the chemlawn man hasent been by in 24 hrs so you are good to go !
Sincerlary yours,
PETA Rep.
(People Eating Tastee Animals)

Learn the English language before you come on here trying to be cute and starting shit. I have no patience for retards. I pray that you don't reproduce.

Say what you want, the Next Big One is coming. If not the swine flu, then the avian flu; if not the avian flu, then some other strain we haven't seen yet. But it will be soon, and it will be big.

1918 had lessons to teach...50 million of them, which was the world-wide death toll. (To put it in perspective, the Spanish Flu killed more people in six months than died in the entire 4 years of WWI that preceded it.)
The medical professionals and epidemiologists learned the lessons, and are worried.
The general population didn't learn the lessons, and are not worried--yet.
But they will be. They'll be crying as they're dying, and all anybody will be able to say is, "We told you so."

At least its not bad. At least its not killing everyone that gets it. At least the government seems to have learned from Katrina and seemed to have it's shit together in case it was worse than it is now.

We'll call it a practice run for the big one, because no matter how much we try to prevent it, there will be a big one.

You guy have it all wrong the world is going to end on Dec. 21 20012.

no it isnt they did not finish the calander because they got wiped out

well atleast it will be the day after my birthday

But yes that calender didn't get finished.
When a whole group of people gets wiped out the does make it kind of hard.