supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greencastle Golden Knights Did NOT Fold

So that everybody knows... the Greencastle Golden Knights Semi-Pro Football Organization did NOT fold.

Due to the irresponsibility of the Interstate Football League (IFL) and the unprofessionalism presented by the IFL Board of Directors, the Greencastle Golden Knights were voted out of the league on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 by the League Board without warning because the league needed to "restructure" the schedule following the Mercer County Cougars exit from the league.

It was brought to the attention of the Golden Knights Staff early Tuesday morning of the vote that had taken place between all Board Members but the Golden Knights, that we, the Golden Knights "should be voted out" because we were to field 15 players for the start of the season.

Occording to IFL By-Laws, there "is no roster limit" but occording to members of the IFL Board, it was "assumed" that the Golden Knights would not make it through the season with 15 players, though we were allowed, occording to IFL By-Laws, 3 weeks to add players.

To set the record straight... the Greencastle Golden Knights Semi-Pro Football Organization did NOT fold, will continue to grow and look forward to joining another league in the new future.

- Golden Knights Administration

Re: Greencastle Golden Knights Did NOT Fold

man that is fu%$#@ up! obviously they are just trying to even out the leagues (north and south) but i dont think thats fair to make it at the expense of your team. and more importantly to the men that play on your team. i know they are disaponted. i feel sorry for those guys, seriously. if the cougers didnt fold this wouldnt have happened. i seriously doubt it had to do with how many players you guys had. if they are planning to even the leagues, who will they move from the north to the south? bad business. good luck fellas.

It had everyting to do with you guys only having 15 players. What could you do if two players cant make a game and then two get hurt you guys are in real trouble. Your team was not ready for league play.
Lack of numbers,money,home field and being at a competitive level. You guys would not have been in one game.
Why punish the whole league becuase your team would not make it the whole season.
I think that they should have left you guys in and played every team once. When you guys fold it will still be a seven game schedule for everyone so its really the same.

if the cougers didnt fold the knights would still be in the league. the schedule wouldnt have changed. if you are going to vote them out then come on, at least have a little humility about it. its unfortunate that the cougers folding put the ifl in this type of situation as well. i agree that they should have been left on the schedule but on the other hand if they folded in the middle of the season there would be a dilema with the conference standings. both sides definitely have a right to gripe.

This is a shock I thought the league had a new team development person or something and if that is the case you mean to tell me that this team was fine and ready to roll on Saturday the 11th but then the Cougars fold and now this team can't field a team, either someone wasn't doing their job or this is just an excuse to equal the north and south what would it have hurt to allow them to play they now have lost revenue and all sorts of things not to mention being ready to play on the 18th even if they would have folded it would have still been a 7 game season what a joke this has become

I'm not familiar with the situation but it seems really cheap to kick someone out of the league for the numbers they have. Especially when that number is more than 11. We went to play a Wildcats team last year that fielded 12 guys and they put up one hell of a fight.

And to do it 4 days befoere the season starts? It seems like that would have been something to worry about before now.

Good luck Knights.

Damn, this really does suck, I mean I wanted to play everybody that got voted in and I really do feel bad for them, however I do see both sides because I have been on both sides of something like this happening. When I was with the Titans we had 16 guys and when we all showed up to play we gave teams a great game. The problem was getting us all at the games...lol, we caused the Dragons to have to take one or 2 forfeits and pay for their own refs because we didnt have enough ppl show up, and i mean show up to the game, crazy, we dropped a game to the team in Muncie for the same reason because on game day we couldnt get our ppl there. So it really does suck. Bearcat, when you speak of the Wildcats showing up with 15, its because they have been around for at least 5 years and they have a pretty good support network so nobody worries about them making it thru the season, but when you have a new team that says we have 22guys and then right before the season starts they say they have 15 and then you have a situation where a team that has been in the league for quite awhile just up and folds the week of the first game, ppl tend to panic...Like i said i dont think it was right, however i can understand, but either way it sucks

you know who knows the whole story maybe they weren't meeting with a new team person maybe they never did

DreKey Defensive Captain of the Indiana Cutters
Damn, this really does suck, I mean I wanted to play everybody that got voted in and I really do feel bad for them, however I do see both sides because I have been on both sides of something like this happening. When I was with the Titans we had 16 guys and when we all showed up to play we gave teams a great game. The problem was getting us all at the games...lol, we caused the Dragons to have to take one or 2 forfeits and pay for their own refs because we didnt have enough ppl show up, and i mean show up to the game, crazy, we dropped a game to the team in Muncie for the same reason because on game day we couldnt get our ppl there. So it really does suck. Bearcat, when you speak of the Wildcats showing up with 15, its because they have been around for at least 5 years and they have a pretty good support network so nobody worries about them making it thru the season, but when you have a new team that says we have 22guys and then right before the season starts they say they have 15 and then you have a situation where a team that has been in the league for quite awhile just up and folds the week of the first game, ppl tend to panic...Like i said i dont think it was right, however i can understand, but either way it sucks

It is a damn good thing that Earl and the MFL didn't panic when the wildcats started out or they wouldn't even be around today WOW what a messed up thing this is the team went and made a presentation and got voted into the league and all is fine and hunky dory and then all of a sudden because someone has esp and can see them folding in the future they are run out of town on a rail and then not even given a chance yes it sucks and this kind of crap is what give this level of football a bad name the damn team should have been allowed to play until they were proved to not have a team

Yes, it's a shame that the Golden Knights have been removed from the IFL but it was really a smart move on the league's part. Personally, I think the IFL did them a favor letting them in to start with and they were nowhere near where they needed to be organizationally. With the folding of the Cougars this past week, I applaud the league board for implementing what can best be described as "damage control." From what I understand, they attended maybe 2 league meetings, always having an excuse for not attending. More focus on leadership and participation, maybe they can field a team next season. All the best of luck to their remaining players, I hope they find a place to play this season!

I could see that being a different situation if they weren't making it to meetings and such. Very odd timing though. Hope it works out for everyone.

Always more to the story
Yes, it's a shame that the Golden Knights have been removed from the IFL but it was really a smart move on the league's part. Personally, I think the IFL did them a favor letting them in to start with and they were nowhere near where they needed to be organizationally. With the folding of the Cougars this past week, I applaud the league board for implementing what can best be described as "damage control." From what I understand, they attended maybe 2 league meetings, always having an excuse for not attending. More focus on leadership and participation, maybe they can field a team next season. All the best of luck to their remaining players, I hope they find a place to play this season!

ONLY QUESTION I HAVE IS DID THEY GET A REFUND ON THE LEAGUE FEES OR DID THEY GET SCREWED OUT OF THAT ALSO

Always more to the story

If you were to check rosters I'll bet that many of these players will wind up on the cutter roster

I have not posted on this board for along time, but this one has peaked my interest. The IFL is now a joke in my opinion. When my team used to play we played more then one team that had only 15 guys. The Cougars almost one the league title with 18 guys. Also the Wranglers stuck around for several years with only 15 guys. When you think about this and the new team they added in June what a joke this is. The IFL is now become a league that makes more mistakes then the MFL. Yes I said it. If I had a team again I would probably pick the MFL over the IFL. This saddens me to say because I love everything the IFL used to stand for. Small market teams playing other small market teams and having fun. Read the mission statement that was written for the league years ago.
If you have an agenda other then what the mission statement says then you should find another league. I know I have been out of the know for a few years but wow what a mistake. I think the league should provide some sort of financial retribution to the Knights. They should have plenty of money since they are not having an allstar game. I will not start on this toipic but it is a huge mistake to cut this out too. I do not care if you like my opinion or not but it is my opinion.

Keith Maloy

Keith,

I cant I say I agree either.....but that being said it also has to be said that neither of us has any idea about everything that went into the decision....

So while your up there on your podium realize there are enough of us old timers still around that know you.....

So you can spout off about what the league was founded on....small market stuff....honestly the IFL and MFL were both founded on we need to get away from the Stampede and COL because we cant compete

There I Said It!

BUt obviously Earl wanted to do his thing and you saw an opportunity where you could have some control in the IFL.....but hey it got you a title so it worked out

and honestly your making a contradicting argument
small market and small numbers are 2 diff things...you were in a small market but never had low numbers like that...and your prime example was the cougars almost winning the ship....normally the cougars would be a good example too because no matter how many guys they had they could def beat anyone on saturdays....but guess what..they just folded
so im sure that really sent a message to the people that made the decision

not saying you didnt have some points but please save the "im this upstanding guy " routine till the rest of us old timers are gone

-Coach Bell

Bell
I do not know why I am responding but you are talking about things that I did not mention in my post. Also I never once said anything about being upstanding all I said was that the IFL is making mistakes. Bottom line is that you and I both can recognize mistakes. I made enough mistakes in my time but I also did what was right for my team at all times. I will not apologize for that. 11 years of running a team does give me som credentials to speak my mind. The Stampede and COL much like some of the teams in the IFL and MFL right now should have been playing in the higher divisions. You and I both know that. Good luck on your season.
Keith Maloy

I would just like to hopefully End this topic. Although this is a sad thing for everyone involved in with the Knights organization, however it is done and over. They have been voted out of the league regardless of what anyone says. Whether or not it was a "Bad Move" in the minds of all the posts, It was, in my mind, the best move for the Interstate Football League. A first year team that, although I am not aware, had not Paid all the team dues, was struggling to produce adequate Player numbers, and had not attended most of the meetings. Outside of the fact that they could potentially play a full season with 15 players, injuries, family gathering, and whatever else could draw less people per game, furthering the chance of injury to "the working man who has to return to said work on monday". I think it would be very irresponsible to try and play a full season, 15 min quarters, 7 weeks straight is just to much for 15 player to take no matter how well they are prepared or "in shape". Even the best athletes have to take time to recover and relax. Cant happen with such small numbers. Alright that what I have to say about it. It is sad that this had to happen but it happened and it is the best option for the league continuing. And striving to make a Big step forward next Year.

Good Luck to All teams this year with there Seasons. Time to bang heads and Bring the Boom.

Hang on, haven't the Golden Knights been petioning one league or another for admittance for about three years now?
I'm not absolutely positive on that fact but I believe there are previous threads on this board from several years ago talking about the existence of this team. If you have had that much time to prepare and can still only field 15 players, there may be something wrong.
I know the league leadership did what they thought was best for the league as a whole. Were the leaders presented with accurate info regarding this team in the beginning? I can't imagine them voting a team in if they would have known that team was struggling with numbers and didn't have a home field.

If they recently found out the team is struggling with numbers and doesn't have a field to play on, then their decision was probably the right one. Look at the established teams that have folded when they appeared to be rock solid and everything was going right for them. How much tougher would it be to play out your entire scehedule hoping no one got hurt, everyone showed up and were willing to travel to every game?
But to Maloy's point, I too have been around and played on some of those teams that were limited on numbers, it can be done. It's not always fun, and losing every week sucks, but we still got to play. Why not give this team that opportunity?

If the league knew up front that these issues existed and still voted the team into the league, you have to question the decision in the first place.

thats a damn good point. they shouldnt have been admitted in the first place. the only thing that i didnt like about the whole situation is the way it was handled by the ifl. if the cougers wouldnt have folded none of this wouldnt have happened. the organization should have come out and said that they have to vote them out due to the cougers and the fact that they have to get rid of one team that might not finish the season for schedule purposes. they just came out and pointed the finger at them like this is their fault. they didnt start this snoball effect. i agree with the league decesion but not the way that they handled it. it seems like they cant say "my bad". what about the panthers? i know they couldnt have been too far from the knights in the voting poll. they are not getting rid of them. if they fold i wonder who they will kick out next?

Keith

Everything in my post was because you seem to act like you have wings and a halo...lol
and things were SO much better when you were around(and in charge...I know you typed that and backspaced it out...lol)
you def have the right to your opinion but at this point its an uneducated one just like mine would be about it....unless you were in on the phone calls

believe me...I know you always did what was right for your team....just like im sure the league reps did what they felt was right for the league

Believe me when I say its only been a few years but times are diff....I dont think there is anyone thats been around for awhile still in it that would say otherwise

and as far as playing in another division....I cant speak for other teams but I think I can about the Stampede...The CRFL was a AA league...just like the MFL and IFL are now....I would say the Stampede was a pretty good AA team but a AAA team we were not
actually the main core of the Stampede was not that different than the 8-4 Grizzly team you knocked out of the playoffs a few years before that

We just continued to get better....we never had outrageous numbers....we did always have 40-45 players and never more than a couple guys who had any college exp if we even had that....hell I didnt even play my senior year in high school and I think I was a pretty good semi pro o-lineman....from hard work and learning what it took to play my position to the best of my ability
But starting that 8-4 season at the Grizzlies all the way through the Stampede ending those 40-45 guys were at every pratice and every game....the year we won the ship our season started in the goshen ymca in January
So if we should have been in another "division" because we put in the work...then I guess thats your opinion

-Coach Bell

This thing is bringing everyone out of the woodwork. I wanted to comment on this one as well.

I kinda know a bit about this situation.(enough to be dangerous) I haven't agreed with some of the things the IFL has done this year. I didn't agree with some of the things the IFL did when I was President either. That's the beauty of the league though...everything is voted on by the teams. It isn't the decision of one person to do anything, so when people talk about "THE LEAGUE" you're talking about all the teams in the league, not some dictator sitting in a thone throwing decisions out.

Obviously, a majority of the teams feel this was the best move for the league. The TIMING is suspect. I believe if the Cougars had not folded, and everyone still knew the Knights only had 15 players, were having money issues, were late with payments, hadn't made meetings...they would still be in the league. The earlier sin of not doing something about these "infractions" finally caught up with the league members.

In the long run, many "unpopular" decisions end up being good ones. I think they were all trying to avoid another issue where a team folds mid season. Everyone knows how hard it is for the other teams in the league when there are multiple forfeits. I don't think the league was ASSUMING anything. They were making an educated decision on the Knights. There is a difference. Nobody will know if the Knights would have been able to finish the season, but it looks like the teams in the IFL weren't willing to take that risk. Do you really blame them? How many times have people gotten on this site and complained about teams not making road trips or forfeiting seasons because of low numbers? How does that effect YOUR team when you lose games like that? How would you feel knowing you have a home game scheduled on week 5 with a team who only has 15 guys and is short on money before the season even starts? Would you be really confident? So before you get on here and say the IFL is a joke, and this decision was absolutely ridiculous ask yourself those questions.

I feel bad for those 15 guys. I hope they can get onto a team for the season. I do believe the team got their money back though. If they would have tried to play, and ended up not making it through the season, they would have gotten no money back.

my 2 cents...which is probably only with 1 cent in this economy

Well this is getting some serious attention.

As the Mustang's PR person I have some knowledge and no opinions. Not really though. I do have an opinion.

The Knights are going to get their fee back.

Keith - You introduced me into this league as your first announcer for the Warriors. You got the field, the scoreboard, a scoreboard operator and me as your announcer when you came to Greenville. You gave me the privledge of announcing the Championship in the Dome. I respect you and consider you a great coach. But in my opinion, you are wrong. The IFL is making decisions as a group. The team reps are acting on issues as they are happening. If there is an issue that I personally think is wrong is they are being too reactive and not enough proactive. When the Knights were brought in there should have been some background check on their owner. Did he have a team when he applied for membership to the league or was he going on wishful thinking? Lesson learned.
The IFL needs an overhaul. Sid is a good man and God only knows what the Mustangs would be like without him. And in overhaul I am not talking about replacing anyone. I am not saying throw out everything. I am saying look at EVERY aspect of the league. Keep what's good, throw out what isn't, and adjust where possible. And establish a set of rules for meetings. If a team rep won't go to the meetings once a month then that team needs to go. If you're not at the meeting then how can the IFL know how you and your team will effect the IFL as a whole? Or if your squad needs assistance.
I can only assume that Keith knows what I am talking about. My reminder to him is think of the youth football league that I was with for 8 years. 18 towns, over 200 teams and more than 3,000 players. And VERY regulated for fairness and equality for all teams. And if something like this happens there they learn from it. Not just to address the issue, but they have an unwritten rule. If one issue creates a problem then they re-evaluate all related issues.
I said earlier in the week that the way things were going was that fans would look for a sacrificial lamb to balance the league because the Cougars gave up. I wouldn't classify the Knights as that lamb. My reason for that is the IFL scrubbed the North and South Division apparently. They didn't have to balance the divisions.
We now play 3 teams that were in the south. Great!! We have said since last year we owe the Cutters a trip. All I ask is the the Cutters send us a list of restaurants in Bloomington that serve good food. We have to feed Sid you know!!
Good Luck Keith. Union City is a tough place I know.

Take care all and God Bless.

I remember year one with the crush, started out with 15 guys, got our asses handed to us in the first two games, then made it to the championship and lost a close game to the broncos. I don't really disagree with what happened to the knights, but they very well could have done the same thing the crush did in our opening year. And it sucks that we now only have 7 games after practicing and conditioning for the past 5 months. Just my opinion.

Like i said, i have been on both side and i really have mixed feelings about what happened. As a player and a former team owner i disagree because we all deserve the chance to play ball, however as a business man i agree with the league from the standpoint of money and risking loss of revenue for other teams if certain teams dont show up. I dont know the whole story, however what i have been told was they didnt or dont have a field and their numbers were lower now than what they were when they applied for the league, now this all could be a load of crap, i dont really know, what i do know is the Board did what they felt was best for the LEAGUE and thats what really matters in the end. Teams will come and go as they do every year, but when you have trying to keep an entire league going sometimes you have to be the really, really, REALLY BAD GUY....LOL and thats what this is about...Also there is a difference between starting out with 15 or 18 guys when u apply that u knew were gonna be there every week, week in and week out, and having 25 or 30 guys when you apply and then the week of your first game you only have 15 guys, when all they have to do right now is come to practice, they dont even have to make that 2 hour trip to Ohio yet, just practice. That would scare alot of ppl and more ppl would understand that if they knew that most teams have to pay for their field if on the day of the game we show up at the field, have the refs show up and then the other team doesnt, now we have to do refunds for tickets and all that other ish...its a huge headache...So like i said i understand both sides, i wish we could have kept things the way they were, but things dont always work like that, however i do applaud the board for acting in such a quick manner. Thats the one thing that nobody can deny, this F'd up thing happened and they fixed it, one way or the other.....

Some of the anonymous idiots out there should take a look at how “responsible” people conduct themselves in an open forum. In my opinion, it was quite refreshing to see some of these posters “come out of the woodwork”. As far as I am concerned, their comments have immediate credibility because they placed their name BEHIND THEIR OPINION as opposed to MOST of the folks that post here regularly to simply “stir the turds”.

It is also obvious now as it has been in the past (and most likely in the future) that not all individuals agree with any given topic or decision at any given time. As Troy Edwards indicated, that is the very nature of any “democratically represented” organization. Very rarely will you find any particularly “thorny” issue gets resolved UNANIMOUSLY. Each representative will some times find himself/herself on the side of the majority ruling and also occasionally on the side of the minority ruling. The key factor is continuing to participate in the process for the benefit of the organization (in this case league) as a whole.

I myself have had discussions with, argued with, disagreed with AND also agreed with Keith Maloy and Troy Edwards in my time participating within four different leagues. I have most often found their contributions to be advantageous. HOWEVER, I DO NOT FEEL that at any time, did they not have the best interests of their team OR the league in mind when they have participated in the process of team or league administration.

It is lonely at the top. There are times when some issues rise to the top where one knows unequivocally that at the end of the day, EVERYONE is not going to be happy. You just hope that enough people are happy and others content enough to allow the organization to continue to function effectively. You also know that no matter what the outcome, some people JUST HAVE TO find someone to pin the goat horns on. Those that put their names on and behind their statements, comments and opinions, make themselves an easy target for the weak, the lame, and those that lack “the stones” to do likewise.

Beef, good luck to you and “The Indians”. Hope your pre-season activities are going well. Troy, I hear that you have been making moves to be the “Chris Collingsworth” of the Generals. I also hope “life after football” is going well for you. Big Dog 66, hope you and “The Rock” are doing well. Good Luck to you in what is now your 3rd year at the helm?

Dane Hill

Coach Hill, I dont know you personally, but I have heard many good things about you from some of my present and former teammates, most ppl are not going to put their names on her because they dont know how to follow the old advice that all of our mothers and fathers told us when we were kids. Two things they said, mom says "If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all" Dad says "Boy, if you gonna say something dont mumble it, dont talk under your breath, stand up and be accountable for what you say". Its sad that we cant have more posts like this one where at least %95 of the ppl put their names by what they post, even the ppl that have had a few choice words for one another on here, but the bottom line still remains that they know just who said what unlike most situations on here. I try very hard to keep things clean on here because I realize that I represent more than myself and the way I may feel at any given time. I mean we have fans that do get on here and dont post, we have sponsers that do the same because they want to see how we carry ourselves, so I want them to see that our leagues have grown and they are not the bush league brawl to you fall unregulated leagues of the past, but some ppl dont care that much about the sport and thats really sad. All Cutters have been informed that if they are posting on here then they are to post their name, and number, if you dont see that then they are not a Cutter. Hope all is well with you and whatever you are doing now, like I always say, good luck to all players and teams out there...our season is under way fellows...

Coach D.H.

were hanging in there trying to get better every practice

your right on...this is my 3rd season....1st full one though...lol

first season I wasnt planning on doing anything....Frazier got me out there...I got out there late just planning to coach the o-line and it evolved into Head Coach
Last year I got out even later but had so much stuff I had put off from my playing days I had to get done before I could do anything...lol then work kept me from making all the games

this year I was finally able to be there from the beginning....hopefully that has an impact plus most of the guys having a season under their belt playing together should help alot

Hopefully the ship is sailing true down there for you....other than when you play the cards I have to be neutral but every other week you know Im up here rooting for you...

Mr. Key,

It appears that you were blessed and on the receiving end of some very wise “old school” parenting. I suspect that your parents are proud.

A while back, I wanted to send you a “shout out” but I’m not sure why I did not make it happen (The best excuse is no excuse). Nevertheless, I hope I have the privilege of making your acquaintance at some point. From my observations, from this forum, I believe that you are a “stand up guy”. I would think that the Cutter organization is fortunate to have you and benefit from your wisdom, loyalty and leadership.

I have not yet “put some “very old” eye balls on the Cutters but I also hope that I can remedy that situation at some point as well.

Keep safe my man, hopes and prayers for a safe 2009 campaign for you and good luck when you guys finally strap up.

Coach Hill

Will the real Dre Key please stand up???

Just messing with you Dre. Hey man stay healthy & we will see you in the final game of the regular season... By the way tell the band I want to hear the Notre Dame fight song, it will go well with our uniforms...

Mitchell Frantz
Shamrock #3
Co-Owner

Hey, not to change the subject, but I just want to say that id really kinda sddens me that the Cougars weren't able to field a team this year.
I played with some of those guys in their first season and was really impressed with the class that they carried themselves with.
I know that their decision has no bearing on me personally, but just wanted say that I am sorry to see them go, and hope they find their way back in the near future.

Just so you all know the knight were not late on payment.... the guy that was going to the meeting that day to pay the last payment got sick and called Mr. sid and told him about it.. Mr. Sid said have it to him by friday and it was sent to him and made it to him by friday..... and whos right is it to say that if 15 to 20 guys want to play ironman football they can't... and was it not put in that teams can add players to the team up to 3 games.... you all think you have the real story but you don't... you hear what the board wants you to hear... they just wanted to even the teams out and not deal with bye weeks... but my opinion is no one should have been put out.. play the bye weeks...

Mitch you are silly man, i thought somebody was about to start acting crazy....lol, u know i cant wait to see you guys at our place this yr bro, and im sure you will be better than what u were when we last played, been hearing some good things....

Coach, I do come from parents that were allowed to beat you to sleep if you tried to show out in public, be it with them or without, so lets just say that my brothers and sister learned how to act as if we were always being watched and from there its just grown into the way we are. I understand that this is a game for kids and we as men are blessed to be able to play it and relive some of those old glory days, or create some so im always thinking about what is best for the game. Im sure we will meet sometime soon and hopefully its on the field.

Wolf, when they said the Cougars folded i thought it was a joke, even before i got in the IFL i heard that they were always tough and rather stable even with 22 guys

Tim, as i stated i dont know all of the things that happened and thats why i didnt say it was fact, on one hand i totally agree with you, however on the other hand i agree with the board, im just glad that i didnt have to be involved with the decision bein made. I do hope that you guys stick with it tho because this game is worth the fight