supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MFL vs IFL

Why are people saying the mfl is better than the ifl? I mean no disrespect to the bearcats, who are my pick to win the mfl, but from top to bottom the ifl is definitely a stronger league. One of the teams considered to be at the top (cardinals) of the mfl are barely pulling out wins with the middle of the pack teams in the ifl. they beat the wolfpack on the last play and i heard about that shamrock game in ft wayne. that was crazy how they flipped a coin which ultimately took points off the board for the shamrock. The patriots got man handled by the geneals 36 to 7 so their out of the equation. The pirates and the force beat the raiders of the ifl but lets face it, no one knows how good the raiders are. We will find out when the cutters show up there this saturday for sure. The top three teams in the mfl would have to be the bearcats, the pirates, and the blitz. In the ifl it would have to be the cutters, the mustangs and the generals. No comparison. Not even close. Time could tell? integration?

Re: MFL vs IFL

Talk is cheap. The only real way to end this is to have the two merge. Two conferences, broken down into two or three divisions. Winner of both conferences play to see who is really the best.

I wish there was a challenge week of games like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. An MFL/IFL Challenge Week would be good for the fans of Indiana Semi-Pro Football.

Hey, it looks good on paper, but I doubt some IFL/MFL teams would want to play a solid team outside of their league......

maybe they should have a mfl vs ifl allstar game at the end of every season,all money made could go to winning league to lower league fees for teams the next year, and it would settle all the trash talk once and for all

In my thought, the first year's home games would be determined by coin flip for each individual game. So, you could have a few in the MFL and IFL based on the flip.

Then which ever league wins the most games in the first year, would have all the home games for the following year, thus $$$ would be on the line for those potential home dates when you think about it.

I know this will never happen since there are too many egos and paper champions in Semi-Pro Football...

or maybe they should just merge. we are talking teams not players so the all star game idea makes no sense. i am just giving you facts. i was in the league with the miami county blitz and they definitely couldnt hang with the mustangs or the genreals. they were tough though. i havent seen the bearcats or pirates play but if they dont handle the blitz accordingly then the truth be told. i do like the idea of a conference challenge. maybe in the preseason just for braging rights.?

Here my prediction for a league merger or an allstar game between the two leagues..... IT AIN'T HAPPENING! Next topic please.

if you want another topic go to another thread. this one is those interested in this topic as well as a merger. who died and made you president of any league in the united states? nothing is impossible.

It is as close to impossible as you can get. The reason there is an IFL is because an owner in the MFL did not like Earl and the way it was ran. I think it was maloy who started the IFL, not sure really. Any way, now would be the time to merge if it was ever going to happen. The next chance would be when Earl decides to step down.

To anyone interested in THE HISTORY,

Walser 13, I am directing this next comment to you because you mentioned something that I would like to clear up.

Keith “Beef” Maloy DID NOT found the IFL.

In my opinion, one of the problems with some of the subjects brought up on this forum is because there are too many people relaying false information. While it would seem that some of these comments are irrelevant or inconsequential, I feel that they are not. This is because the next step is that people begin to formulate opinions that are then based upon faulty information.

A short history lesson:

In 1993, I am pretty certain that the NAFL and MCFL were in existence. There may have been another league in the northern part of the state but I am not privy to that information.

In 1994, a man named Ira Johnson founded a league that he named the Grass Roots Football League (GRFL). From what I was told, there were 4 “Charter Member” teams. The following web site has a listing that begins in 1995 http://www.semiprofootball.org/ However, from what the two guys told me that started the Chiefs, their information has some inconsistencies.

Indianapolis Tornados
Madison County Chiefs
Morgan County Broncos
Shelby County Outlaws

Over the next few years, various teams were added and some also ceased to exist. I can only speak to what took place after I joined the Chiefs in 1997. Again, pointing to the Semi-Pro Football Headquarters web site; the information for the 1997 GRFL is correct.

Delaware County Stallions
Indianapolis Tornados
Madison County Chiefs
Morgan County Broncos
Preble County Predators
Shelby County Outlaws

After the 1997 GRFL Season, Ira Johnson stepped down as Commissioner of the GRFL. His son, Kevin Johnson then took over. Kevin had also been Head Coach of the Indianapolis Tornados. One of the first things that Kevin did was to change the name of the league to the Federal Football League (FFL). Another significant change was that Kevin changed the GRFL rules to utilize a 100 yard playing field. Under Ira Johnson, the GRFL competed on an 80 yard field with 20 yard end zones. Ira had his reasons for this. I have talked with him about that but I will not take up time and space with that issue now. The first season for the FFL began in 1998. One other noteworthy development was that Kevin disbanded the Indianapolis Tornados. They were replaced by a new team from the north called the Kosciusko County Grizzlies. The league still consisted of 6 teams.

As head of the FFL, part of Kevin’s vision was to expand the league. To that end, the Randolph County Rage were added in 1999. This was “Beef” Maloy’s first team. The Grizzlies also relocated to Elkhart County. This gave the league 7 teams.

In 2000, Kevin continued to attempt to expand the FFL. In my opinion, some of this expansion was too rapid. Amateur football in general was beginning to explode onto the scene and other leagues were also beginning to pop up. With respects to the FFL, if I recall correctly, we began the season with 3 Divisions. However, while the FFL had not had to deal with teams folding during the season, this became a reality and it created a wreck of (what I recall) the East Division. The result was that what remained of the East was folded into the North Division. This gave the North 5 teams and the South 4. Additionally, I highly suspect that many people developed a “distaste” for Divisional formats due to this experience. The Tornados were resurrected in 2000 as well as two new teams; the Wabash County Express (Brian Raber) and the Allen County Explosion (Jim Menzie). I believe the Predators were the team (perhaps there was another) that faltered during the season causing the problem in the East Division.

North Division
Allen County Explosion
Delaware County Thunder
Elkhart County Grizzlies
Randolph County Rage
Wabash County Express

South Division
Indianapolis Tornados
Madison County Chiefs
Morgan County Broncos
Shelby County Outlaws

In 2001, Kevin continued to execute his vision of the FFL. Two more teams were added; the Miami Valley Panthers (Jim Weaver & Greg Agee – the Panthers later became the Warriors) and the Southern Ohio Patriots (Tony Bray). This gave the league a total of 11 teams.

2001 was the final year of the Federal Football League (FFL)

HISTORY - The Conclusion

What I am about to write has been debated and speculated about many times. If you ask around, you will get many different opinions AND speculation. In some cases, there may even be some outright hostility.

In November following the 2001 season, I was told by Chiefs GM Andy Drummond that Kevin Johnson had requested to have a meeting with us (he and I). The topic of discussion for that meeting was to be the “2 Tier League Structure Proposal” that I had first presented at the FFL League Meeting prior to the 2001 Season.

This meeting did not last very long. Instead what next occurred was pretty much a shock to us. As we sat down to begin the discussion, Kevin said he had something to say before we began. With that, he told us that he was stepping down as Commissioner. With his statement, the FFL no longer existed.

Over the next several months, the seeds to the current “state of affairs” that exists with this whole merger question festered and exploded. The irony is that this issue REALLY had nothing to do with the IFL/MFL question of today.

In short, the teams previously affiliated with the FFL formed a new league called the Cross Roads Football League (CRFL). However, it only existed as a WHOLE for a very short time. In fact, before the season even began, some teams left to form the Midwest Football League (MFL). If I recall correctly:

MFL
Allen County Explosion
Delaware County Thunder
Elkhart County Grizzlies
Hendricks County Generals
Morgan County Broncos (led by Rick Foxworthy)
Wabash County Express

CRFL
Indianapolis All-Stars
Madison County Chiefs
Miami Valley Panthers
Randolph County Rage
Shelby County Outlaws
South Central Broncos
South Bend Stampede

These two leagues began their respective inaugural seasons in 2002.

Another, separate, issue that was not directly related to the CRFL or the MFL was the reorganization of the Indianapolis Tornados by their owner (Ken Smith). They changed their name to the Indiana Tornados and applied and were accepted into the NAFL.

Following the events that began with the final FFL season and the emergence of these two separate entities, other changes took place. One of these developments was the break-up of the MFL. I am not privy to the issues that caused or developed but needless to say, a new league was formed by the MFL break-away teams. This league was called the Interstate Football League (IFL). The key member of its formation was the late John Bushman for whom the IFL Championship Trophy is named for.

By the beginning of 2004, the CRFL experienced several more defections. The Rage left for the IFL while the Outlaws ceased operations. The All-Stars and South Central Broncos had been disqualified during previous seasons. This left the league with 4 teams. With this development, the Stampede and 2003 expansion Central Ohio Lions (COL) were dissatisfied with the lack of a larger league. They subsequently left to join other leagues respectively. This only left the Chiefs and Panthers. Thus, the demise of the CRFL.

As I mentioned, I am not or was not privy to the events that led to the splitting of the MFL that led to the development of the IFL. With the CRFL no longer in existence, it can not be used as the rationale for why animosity exists between the IFL and MFL at this point. However, I would suspect that the answers lie in what led to the MFL/IFL split in the first place.

During my short involvement with the IFL, Troy Edwards (Indiana Generals) and Keith Maloy (Darke County Warriors) served as President of the IFL. If my information is correct, as I understand it, John Bushman was the first President of the IFL. At this time, neither Keith nor Troy are active in IFL deliberations.

One small correction in your story. The Allen County Explosion that were founded in 2000 was founded by Gary Cornwell (or as you would later refer to him as "Cornbread"). After the 2001 season Gary then handed the team over to Jim Menzie.

Dave Clawson
Punter/Kicker #1
Indiana Generals

Undertaker,

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Hey! there is a kid on the Drew Brees commercial on the NFL Network that looks like he could be your little bro.

Do you ever see or hear from ole Cornbread anymore? Hope he is doing all right. He must have a full boat load of kids by now. Last I knew, there was Isaac, Elaine, and Samuel. I think he had one in the oven too. I think Jason Goldson is trying to catch up to him, I think he has 4 now. I believe Dirty Ernie #51 and Charles #60 are stuck on 3 each. They got some catching up to do.

Good Luck to you and the "Gen - JT version" today. Keep that toe polished.

Out

I would like to thank you for clearing that up, I figured I was wrong and I am glad to read up on the history of semi-pro football in Indiana. I like learning about the history and who paved the road for us today. Once again thank you.

I'll try to connect some dots for everyone on the "split" from the MFL. After the MFL's second season, a few teams were not happy with the way the league was being run. ACTUALLY, the first commissioner of the IFL was to be Rick Foxworthy. Look really closely at the MFL logo. Rick's name is on the football in the logo, like the commissioner of the NFL's is on their footballs. Earl was only the treasurer. Anyway, I think one thing that started the issues was the dismissal of Andy Ward by Earl Parsons halfway through the 2003 season. I will say there was a "misundertanding" between the two. Without a league vote Andy was dismissed as the Head of Officials, and his officials went with him. Each team was then left to find their own officials the rest of the season.

Fast forward to the off-season. A meeting was called by John Bushman. This meeting was NOT to start a new league, but to continue the MFL, without Earl as a President or Commissioner. The Generals, Longhorns, Scorpions, and I believe Express were all in attendance. I think there was another team there, but I can't remember. These teams wanted to go forward as MFL teams, but had voted to have Earl STILL A MEMBER OF THE BOARD, but only as league secretary. Before we got a chance to move forward Earl held a meeting. In this meeting, the Generals(without Vic Pevler), and the Longhorns were kicked out of the MFL.

Without a league John Bushman wanted to start a new one. He came into contact with Sid Phillips(KC Mustangs), Pat Wilson(Morgan Co/South Central Broncos) and myself to start a new league. We talked to a few more teams about joining this new league, but nothing panned out. We were ready to start the season with 4 teams. I was then contacted by Keith about his team reforming as the Darke County Warriors, and possibly coming over to the IFL.

Before our next organizational meeting we lost John Bushman. I was pretty much thrusted into the Presidency after his death. Keith came on board, as well as the Mercer County Cougars. That is the way the IFL came about for the 2004 season.

Both leagues have had pretty good runs since then. There have been bumps in the road, and everyone has their opinion on which league is "better". As long as guys get to play the game, and have fun doing it...who cares.

Thanks Troy, that was a pretty interesting read.