supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cut Blocking

What is the IFL rule on cut blocking? All of us have to go work on monday and if the rule is NO CUT BLOCK then the refs need to call it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Cut Blocking

as I understand it you can cut from gaurd to gaurd, but I would like to know the definete ruling myself.

You should be able to cut down field in the IFL esp if its college and nfl rules.I think its a joke to only cut guard to guard.

What that does is take away something that some lineman are very good at in a one on one situation.Esp on the edges against corners and linebackers flowing.

I think whoever made the rule should change I dont care if you have to work learn to stop from being cut.Its part of football PUT THE CUT rule back in.As a lineman its sucks when your out in space one on one with a shit corner safety whatever and the juke you when you couldve just cut them in the first place.

Takes away alot for a O-Line IMO

thats just lazy chris,
to run down field and dive at some guy who is half your sizes legs especially if its 300lb of man meat.
INJURIES

im for tackle to tackle but downfield will leave people with knee surgeries every week....

just my opinion
if we could cut anywhere I would definitely be playing Guard or Center

Kurt36

• Cutting will only be allowed from guard to guard within three yards on either side of the Line of Scrimmage.
This is the rule. We went to the Federation rule to protect against people just trying to cut people all over the field. The risk for injury is too high at this level. If you do not like it get with your team rep. and try to get it changed for next year. It is in the rules for this year. If a referee did not call it in your game, then have your team rep. report it to the league president and teh head of officals.
Foga

NOTE TO WOLFPACK STOP HAVING YOUR TACKLES CUT BLOCK THEN!

I would like to add one more thing to Foga's post. A blitzing linebacker is able to be cut block only if he is within the 3 yard limit at the time of the snap.

I Have heard it from the head ref the last two games it is tackle too tackle. I know iv'e been cut and thats just fine, its part of the game

I am pissed. I just wrote a huge, freakin sweet blog for this topic, but hit backspace a couple too many times at the end and made my internet page back-up...causing me to lose it all...

To sum it up, Real Men play football. They don't cry to the refs, take a lot of cheap shots, talk a lot of shit, hide behind screen names and take shots a people and organizations, or cuss at their own players during a game. (You gotta imagine a really long sweet blog with all that in there, sounds worse out of context).

As for the cut block...it's another tool in an 0-lineman's toolbelt. The rules are never truly understood, it's been the same every year. I agree with #72 (were you the tackle for the broncos a few years back?). Cutting is not dirty, cheap, lazy, or unsportsmanlike. It is allowed everywhere on the field in NCAA, NAIA, and NFL...how many knee injuries from cut blocks do you hear about there? I personally didn't see any knee injuries resulting from cut blocks in the fours years I played college ball.

If you're gonna make a stink about cut blocking, then you should also protect the ball carriers. RB's, QB's, WR's, and the lucky few who pick up a fumble or make an interception...they all have to go to work on monday too, but anyone on the field is allowed to hit them below the waist...anywhere...behind, in front, from the side...that's cheap, and dirty. Right?!?

Listen, I know this league is for fun and bragging rights. I know we all have to go to work on mondays, some sunday nights, but football is football...and cut blocking is a part of football in every league but the IFL (aside from there 3yrd rule, I don't know about the MFL).

The best piece of advice I've ever recieved came from my o-line coach in highschool..."...get the best protective knee braces you can afford, and don't skimp on your lower body workouts..." technique is imprtant when it comes to shielding yourself from a cut, but I'm sure we've all seen the level of technique from our respective leagues. How does that go, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

Well, my lunch break is over, gotta get back at the whole engineering thing. I wish everyone goodluck, and healthy seasons!!

Thad Conley
Retired Crush #73 (brett favre style)

P.S. My first blog that got scrapped on accident was much, much more funny...but I had less time, and even less funnyness flowing the second time around. (Uncle Supa, notice you still don't have an app for spell checker!! hahaha, it hurts my head to try and read some of these posts)

Frantz...

The way it used to be was 3yrds on either side of center and 1.5yrds into the defense (away from the ball) but cuts had to be made as a first move. You couldn't fake a pass pro then hit a cut (which is sweet if you can ever learn how to do it well)

Thad

im not in the ifl but cut-blocks are for pussys, thats at any level

Cut blocking is my favorite part of the game because generally the people who attempt it don't do it right and end up looking silly on film. Not to mention that cut blocks are incredibly easy to avoid.

If you guys check your history you'll find that football used to be a much more violent game. The cut block is as American as apple pie.

BMW79Pats...

Once agian, someone proved my point. Those who didn't play football after little league, or just those with a little league education, "pussys", think cut blocking is for *pussies*.

Please, go talk to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, or any NFL teams O-line coach and say, "cutting is for pussys", make sure you emphasize the "y" in pussys when you do it. See what happens.

I agree with bearcat, it's hard to master...but no more dirty than tackling a ball carrier below the waist. Oh wait, that might be for "pussys" too...and here, my whole life, I've been told it is a good form tackle to hit at the waist or below and drive through...what did i miss?!?

-Thad Conley-

I understand that people have to go to work on Monday, but if you're that concerned you're in the wrong sport. What if someone gets blocked into your knees from the side and you blow a knee out? Should we outlaw contact altogether?

Football is a violent collision sport. That's what seperates it from soccer, basketball, wrestling, tennis, curling, chess, pick-up sticks and any other game where you don't have the potential to have your head rocked at full speed by an angry 300 lb. meathead.

If cut blocking is for pussies than why is it used so often in the NFL. It is no different than crack blocking, blind siding in the open feild, or laying out a return guy the second he catches the ball(not fair catches. Peaople don't like because they don't know how to avoid it and become frustrated that they are repeatedly stopped by it. Cut blocks are effective at many different times and should be made legal. Until then, respect the rules and figure out some other way to block.

Word to everyone's mother!

This is like crack, trying to work on my homework, but I keep coming back to uncle supa's website!!

Yes for everyone who says only pussies cut block you either A. Have no clue how to cut and think its just about diving into someones knees which it is not. B.Your ass is to lazy to cut and compain about getting up after you do it.

Look in college at how many offenses use lineman down field for cut blocks.Every team with triple option any team across the nation that uses wing t.Any type of run oriented O uses there linemen to get down field and cut others down so they arent in open space just running around.

Hoss yes I am 72 from the broncos I am with the generals this season.How have ya been. BRING BACK THE cut rule IFL. If you dont its just a shame. Oh and if lineman cant cut. THEN tell the corners and safetys when a lineman is coming not to dive at any linemans knees instead of getting pancaked. Joke the rule doesnt work both ways.

#72Cjohnson

Look in college at how many offenses use lineman down field for cut blocks.Any type of run oriented O uses there linemen to get down field and cut others down so they arent in open space just running around.

BRING BACK THE cut rule IFL. If you dont its just a shame. Oh and if lineman cant cut. THEN tell the corners and safetys when a lineman is coming not to dive at any linemans knees instead of getting pancaked. Joke the rule doesnt work both ways.

Cut Blocks would be fine if it were taught the correct way. Thats all I had to say on the topic...
Helmets straight to knee caps are not cool!

Kurt36

I heard that #72 played in europe and got paid room and board wich would make him eneligble is that tru cuse if so the generals will forfet any game he plays in.

Im with Hoss and Chris , it is a vital skill to Olineman, if you know what your doin and it is really effective when you got some beast comin balls out every play it rends to slow em down a bit , CUT EM I say.

he did... he just got back a couple days ago and played against the raiders

alls im sayn is when someone cuts me i know they're scared. i could cut block better than most i'd think but i'll never find out, guess why, cause its a weak move done by someone that doesnt think they can stop the man coming toward them aka the guy cut blocking knows he is out-matched. can i get a spell check

100% agreement

I love the theory. I'm a weaker player because I cut...never thought of it that way. I just assumed following the coaches directions, taking a player out of a play, and making them think twice before trying to jump a snap count is part of being a smart football player.

I would love to continue on this subject even further, but I feel it has run its course.

Once again, I would like to reiterate the fact that if you knew anything about football, and played at a level higher than middle school (assuming you had a coach in highschool that knew something about football) you would understand the cut block as just another technique. For example, I would be hardpressed to believe that every week all of the Broncos' (NFL) o-linemen are outmatched. They make the cut block look like an art form...and produce 1000yrd rushers every year with little to no talent (comparative) at running back.

Kurt, you're killin me! On a side note, did I hear right...you're out with an injury??

Thad

Seems the Raiders need look into if #72 played or not if so the Generals should be counted as havin a loss. Just want to keep it fair

i had surgery last thursday for a torn ligament in my wrist.

Cut blocking sucks... the only reason i say this is it happens to me alot.

other than that its an effective block if done properly

Kurt36

I am Confused
Seems the Raiders need look into if #72 played or not if so the Generals should be counted as havin a loss. Just want to keep it fair

You hav e posted this in a couple places I'm sure that the team in question has researched this and that they are comfortable in playing this player you seem way to concerned about one player is this man really a one man destruction team can he win games by himself sounds to me like you are connected with a top notch team who is just trying to win home field without earning it

Kurt Engelking 36
i had surgery last thursday for a torn ligament in my wrist.

Thad: OUCH! That sucks!

Cut blocking sucks... the only reason i say this is it happens to me alot.

Thad: I understand...I think I did it a few times back in the day.

other than that its an effective block if done properly

Thad: Agreed!!

Kurt36

I posted the answer to your question under the generals message on the board there.Im not sure who you are and what you think you know about me but I would ask you to not just go around saying a bunch of shit for no reason.

#72Cjohnson
I posted the answer to your question under the generals message on the board there.Im not sure who you are and what you think you know about me but I would ask you to not just go around saying a bunch of shit for no reason.

Don't let it get to you it is just sour grapes because you choose to play where you did and not on his team. It is sad that people will try anything to get a win the cheap way and try to take away from someone else.

Im with 72CJohnson, your definately a pussy if you dont know what your doin or dont know the rules of cut blocking. But if you know when and how to cut block theres absolutely no problem with using it to your advantage, I dont call that pussy I call that smart.

cut blocking is an effective weapon. I agree that it can be very harmful if done with intent to hurt, and if someone does not realy understand how to do it. CJohnson, dont worry about the crap talkers it doesnt matter where u played or if u got paid. we the Raiders arent questioning u playing in our game and we know u were cleared to play in the IFL prior to the game. so i say roll on and playball!

OForce77
Im with 72CJohnson, your definately a pussy if you dont know what your doin or dont know the rules of cut blocking. But if you know when and how to cut block theres absolutely no problem with using it to your advantage, I dont call that pussy I call that smart.

You think I'm a pussy?

BMW79PATS
alls im sayn is when someone cuts me i know they're scared. i could cut block better than most i'd think but i'll never find out, guess why, cause its a weak move done by someone that doesnt think they can stop the man coming toward them aka the guy cut blocking knows he is out-matched. can i get a spell check

read this again if you scrolled pasted it the first time. i can and will defend the cut too an if i play for OSU, another college D1 at that level, or the Pros, i would do what I was told by the coach to make him happy. talking about the pee wee's that is something that must be on your mind about your team cause you dont know me or who has coached me. i did play in pal though

I got video from the bearcat/pats game last year and I do recall just watching video of o line pats cut blocking. I will upload it soon. BMW79, you a guard on the quarterbacks left side from last season?

Are defensive players just crash test dummies?cut blocking sure makes it seem that way. Teams are going to lose people because of this rule. All it does is give someone an advantage that cant handle the man across from them. I am not mad at the raiders for doing what their allowed to do but you would have thought they were lumberjacks yesterday. But its allowed. I am not saying this to bad mouth the raiders but to speak for our guys up front. I just want to keep our guys healthy. I have seen some nasty breaks and this is one way to get get one. i guess it is what it is.

Yesir, probaly are center cutting

wow i didnt realize we cut that much! I play o-line and think i only cut one time jusy get deffenders hands down to open a passing lane for QB!Maybe other guys were cutting alot and if they did i am glad they listen to me when i tell the they can in this league. No for real thou cutting needs to be coached properly!

Here is the issue....we are arguing over whether a cut block should be legal.....I will always be an o-lineman at heart so I have my opinion on it....but

the rules that were put into place state cutting can only be done from guard to guard.....so arguing about it is moot...although the bigger issue might be that for some reason people don't know the rule

So my argument at this point would be that I have drilled this into our tackles heads that they cannot cut....then I watch the tackles cutting our ends....as a matter of fact I just watched on video number 99 not cutting but turning to the side and and hopping into guys knees....he hit one dead on and his helmet clipped the knee of our tackle which is why he had to be helped off the field when you were on the goal line....This isnt the first time i have seen this but I only point it out because it was such bad technique

So for one by rules it is illegal for anyone other than guards or center.....and if you are going to cut then with technique you can hit a guy in the thigh if you have to go low.....so you may want to work on this with him.....considering he was prob the biggest guy on the field.....laying down into knees is prob not best

-Coach Bell