supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some thoughts

I came into this league 4 years ago as an older player who had not played football in a very long time. I had to relearn a lot and learn a lot of new things. As a player, I didn't know anything beyond showing up for practice and showing up for the games. I wasn't involved in running anything, knew nothing of the costs involved, dealing with the league, etc. My first inkling of how much money was involved was when our owner lost his job and we were asked to help with ref fees. I gladly gave some money because I wanted to play. I had been given an opportunity to have a heck of a lot of fun and it didn't bother me to contribute a little more. After 2 seasons, I figured I had played enough.

Then Cecil talked to me about starting the Wolverines and asked me to be in management. I had no idea what I was getting into when I told him I would do it. All of a sudden we were trying to secure a field, collecting player fees, trying to get sponsors, trying to schedule practices to best accomodate everyone. On top of that, we were both playing and had to practice right along with everyone else.

This was a heck of a lot more than just being a player and it's a big headache sometimes. As a team owner or manager, you play a lot of roles. Player, coach, mentor, disciplinarian, financier, and sometimes you just feel like you're babysitting. We're the ones the refs go to when they want their money. All the while trying to get guys to understand that the reason you're going through all this headache is so THEY can have a good time.

Yes, the Wolverines have struggled this year. We have lost some guys due to injury and lost a very valued player and member of management to a coaching position. We also had sponsors back out before the season started and every coach bailed when they found out there was a time commitment. So what do you do? You go on without a coach and you go on paying for things yourself. It's been a rough season with a lot of lack of dedication. But every single owner and manager in this league are doing this so YOU can have fun. We get together and meet twice a year to set this stuff up so you can play and all of us in that room are pretty good friends. We all share the same headaches and our faces are the ones that are associated with our teams. It simply isn't right for a player to disrespect the management of any team. Walk a mile in our shoes a few times and I guarantee you'll want to go back to being just a player.

Re: Some thoughts

As I have said on many occasions, Bill, I have a lot of respect for what you guys are trying to do under the circumstances. I was in your position years ago and struggled with many of the same things you describe here.

I'd love to go on and on here with a detailed analysis of the problems and possible solutions, but I think this thread is best left to be a "right on, brother" expression on my part. I hope that you feel the solidarity with others who have shared a similar struggle, keep believing that progress is possible, and push through this tough season.

Well, it wasn't really posted to lament the current situation with the team but rather to illustrate to players that there's a heck of a lot involved in running any team and we all do the best we can. We can't please everyone including our own players sometimes. People just need to understand that there's a lot that goes into making this happen. It's like having a second job sometimes and I think you should always respect every owner who's fielding a team. After all, without those other owners you have no opponents to play.

bill i know what you are saying about running a team i tried last year with the riot and failed time and time again but you have to find that one thing that makes it all worth it mine was last labor day weekend i took me and 13 guys to brazil to mplay the wildcats who i think had at least 25 or 30 guys and came away with a W so did i fail as an owner maybe so but i have learned so much and have a new found respect for all owners.