supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legarrett Blount

This what football is becoming and we are all allowing it to happen, this kid should have been suspended by his University first thing this morning, there is no room AT ANY LEVEL for this kind of action and shame on any League or University, you can bet the farm that had this happened in the NFL Rodger Goodell would have acted swiftly and severly.I am posting some comments and links to some video of the attack and ask that everyone take a long hard look at what football is becoming.

There's no other way to put this: Oregon tailback LeGarrette Blount straight lost his mind Thursday night, sucker punching a Boise State player and requiring physical restraint to leave the stadium after the Ducks' embarrassing 19-8 loss. Boise State's Byron Hout appeared to tap Blount on the shoulder during postgame interactions, before turning away, only to take a Blount sucker punch to his jaw that floored him. Broncos coach Chris Petersen rushed in to separate him from further incident.

Hout is not immune from criticism in his role in the affair, but Blount crossed a line in punching a player who had turned away from him. His inexplicable escalation after arguing with some Boise State fans while leaving the stadium only further condemns him to a severe fate.

Boise State coach Chris Petersen, who was witness to the sucker punch, was more diplomatic, telling ESPN's Heather Cox that emotions had gotten the better of some players while turning attention to his team.

Its too bad, because, despite his bad game, Blount is a marvelous talent who would have done great things for Oregon this year. At this point he's just as likely to face a lengthy suspension or outright booting from the Oregon football program as he is to play again this year.

Of course the video is on youtube and is getting lots of looks already less than 12 hours since the punch I guess at least this happened ON the field and not at the concession stand in front of small kids. There is no place for this in football doesn't matter if you are in Boise Idaho or Bloomington In.
We already know how one league deals with this now lets see how Oregon ddeals with it I will bet they are taking it as a very serious and not the laughing matter it was in Indiana

Re: Legarrett Blount

NCAA rules state that these infractions done before and during the game will be handled by the NCAA. They have no rule indicating what should be the punishment for after the game. People make mistakes. However, just because they is no "rule" about what is done after the game doesnt make it okay, unless your the Cutters! hahaha. Rest easy knowing that the college will deal with it, and not just wait till Oregon plays there worst oppenent of the year, and say hey why dont you sit this one out, I MEAN YOU"RE SUSPENDED! There is no place for this, and I assure you that this will handled the way it should be. Now if it were in Bloomington and he played for the Cutters- well uh, well sorry, uh i mean uh, I was just trying to go pee, I mean get a hot dog, i mean uh, Im a football GOD and you cant touch me, uh sorry! Cutters translates to turds!

ImO...he should get a two game suspension...

Hey at least now football has a poster child for fighting at least LeGarrett made contact with the other person and not some female.
Who cares what the rules say we all know that in anything we do we all find a way to get around rules nascar does it and when they get caught they pay a fine and move on. Mike Vick paid a heavy price and now he to should be able to move on, in the world we live in today we all are guilty of taking things to the limit and then if caught lie our butts off to cover our actions or come up with all kinds of excuses. Now we don't know what was said to Blount last night by the player he struck ( maybe he told him that he had to pee ) but plain and simple it was wrong and if I were in charge of his program he would not play another down this season, you can't attack someone or try to attack some and cover it up with an excuse ( well unless you are a part of the Interstate Football League ) I agree with football fan's comment they will probably find the weakest team on their schedule and suspend Blount for that meaningless game.
We should hold this young man accountable for his actions but then as a whole we are all to blame because we allow this to go way to much in this world.

I watched Clips of this Incident this morning, and Not only should Legarette be suspended from the team for at Least 2 games. If I were on his team right now, I wouldn't even want to play along side him. The fact that he hit an Opposing player is down right dirty, even more so because he sucker punched him and got away quickly, seeing as how he was in the middle of 5-6 broncos players. But once he started hitting his teammates, thats when ,regardless of how well he did last year and that hes a senior, Id be done with someone like that. Your team is your family, they are the guys that believe in you and trust you. Just my opinion.

Ben Deleon
#42 RB/LB/CB

its amazing how you can say all the shit you want about the cutters this the cutters that... but yet you havent the balls to give your name. sure this is an open forum but dont be a sackless fuck. if you want to argue let me know whom im arguing with! And the cutters suspended their coach for the very next game. for fucks sake it was august 15th!!
this post is about an incident on an NCAA field.
Kurt

are you kidding me? 2 games only. He could have seriously injured the other guy. Its not like he just stopped with punching him either, he went after fans!
Then he tried to give a BS apology. If is was a nobody or a freshman he would have been kicked off the team already, but because he is a Senior and might go the NFL he gets special treatment. I do think the guy who got hit needs to be dealt with too, but Blount needs to be suspended for at least the regular season.

I agree this guy is out of control and needs professional help and soon, he lost control is what they are saying but control is not the issue here he puched another player and then had to be restrained as he was leaving the field, now some people will say that he just has passion for the game and that he didn't control his anger will I think a minimum of 4 games is in order here if not the rest of the season, I think for every incidentlike this that goes un-punished there will be three others, the guy was even resisting a uniformed police officer in a clip I saw a minute ago.
Look football is a violent sport but it is a controlled violent sport, those who play it ( or coach it ) must realize this and always be certain that they keep their emotions in check, did Woody Hayes regret hitting the player that made the interception I'm sure he regretted what it cost him but I'll bet inside he loved the fact that he got one in on the kid, did Ron Artest regret leaving the playing floor and going into the stands I doubt it he enjoyed the fact that he was a real man and stood up for himself and that people is another example of stupid, I'm sure he regretted that the league fined him and suspended him but once again it was the absolute right thing to do, the Pacers admitted he was wrong when they tried to head the league off with their quick and minimal suspension of Artest but the league saw thru that real quick, I have heard people say that Blount was provoked that is NO EXCUSE acts such as this have no place in this sport and person who wants to make an excuse for it is a complete idiot and if the ncaa doesn't act they are showing a lack of leadership.
Simply put you turn violent you get suspended for the season and once everyone starts doing that then players, managers, coaches and assistants will be the picture real fast. Inaction will only make these things happen more often.

Kurt Engelking 36
its amazing how you can say all the shit you want about the cutters this the cutters that... but yet you havent the balls to give your name. sure this is an open forum but dont be a sackless fuck. if you want to argue let me know whom im arguing with! And the cutters suspended their coach for the very next game. for fucks sake it was august 15th!!
this post is about an incident on an NCAA field.
Kurt

First off I don't think anyone was wanting to argue or call out your team, in the original post. There was no mention of the cutter team but it did make reference to Bloomington In. It was rather the football fan that made the reply and mentioned your team I do not think the original poster trying to stir the August pot at all. It is a sad day when things are remembered for all the wrong reasons but then life is full of things that people regret happened. Sometimes we must develope thick skin to get around statements and maybe this is going to be one of those because anyone who reads these posts on here is bound find some things similar in the two incidents. I'm not trying to raise anyones blood pressure but like they say shit happens and we all just need to make sure that when it does happen we don't step in it.
You seem like you are a very passionate guy when it comes to football and your team and yes this post at one point had nothing to do the semi-pro but rather a college game.
I am positive we will hear about Blount over and over and see those ugly clips over and over the guy should not be on a field, he should loose his free ride and be forced to reply the school for his first three years. You seem to not like the reference to what happened with your team in August but it also happened and I'm sure that people will make comments on that for a long time as well it is easy for people to compare things such as this. Things happen and once something like this has taken place it takes a long time to heal and forget.
I think you would agree what happened LAST night in Idaho should never happen anywhere at anytime during a sporting event or after a sporting event.

He was suspended for the entire season. I'm not sure what this guy's talent is but one punch, one moment in time, could have cost him an NFL career if he was shooting for that.

I saw that last night but you know what,, doesn't matter what his talent level is I think the suspension is the right thing to do,, and making for the whole seasson is the best way to go. Hats off to those who had the guts to stand up and say to this young man that there is NO PLACE in football for that behavior not before a game, not during a game and certainly not after a game. Maybe the next time someone is about to loose their cool they can conjure up the penalty that was given Blount.

Hats off to Chip Kelly, he did the right thing.

Well what I meant by his talent level was that if he had the talent to make it to the NFL, he may have just cost himself that career. I absolutely believe it's the right call.

He will be fine he can always come to Indiana and play in Bloomington he would fit right in

I saw on ESPN that the "talking heads" thought that the coach was making the wrong decision on allowing Blount to remain with and practice with the team but not let him dress on Saturdays. I have to agree with the coach. This kid may have a lot of issues. Throwing him off the team totally would only cement any bad ideas this kid has.

Swinging on the idiot from Boise State that came up to Blount and taunted him was wrong and the Boise player deserved a right cross to the jaw, but not there on the field. Boise State needs to do something with that "fine upstanding player" too.

What sealed the deal for me on removing Blount was when he swung on his own player. You can yell, scream, cuss, threaten, or do what needs to be done to defend your team, but when you take it too far and your teammate, coach, or official starts to back you out of the situation don't swing on your brother. That tells me it's all about you and not about the team you are supposed to be playing for.

Player suspended for
season after punch
Oregon RB had been suspended from
team in the past

Updated: Friday, 04 Sep 2009, 10:25 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 04 Sep 2009, 10:25 PM EDT

* ANNE M. PETERSON,AP Sports Writer

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - A day after Oregon's college football season opened, it ended for running back LeGarrette Blount. Blount was suspended for all remaining games on Friday for punching Boise State defensive end Byron Hout in the jaw following the 16th-ranked Ducks' 19-8 loss to the 14th-ranked Broncos the night before.

Because he is a senior, Blount's playing days in Eugene are over.

Oregon's first-year coach, Chip Kelly, told a sobbing Blount about his decision after reviewing tape of the altercation.

Celebrating the victory on the Broncos' trademark blue turf, Hout yelled in Blount's face and tapped him on the shoulder pad. Before Boise State coach Chris Petersen could pull Hout away, Blount landed a right to Hout's jaw, knocking him to his knees.

Blount also had to be restrained by police from fans heckling him on the way to the locker room.

Later he apologized saying, "It was just something that I shouldn't have done. I lost my head."

Still, Kelly was taken aback when he saw the punch on tape.

"That's not what we're all about. That's not what we coach. That's not what we stand for and it's unacceptable," he said.

Blount's suspension includes bowl games. He will remain on scholarship, however, and will continue to practice with the team.

"He is taking this very hard," Kelly said, choking up. "He understands he made a mistake and he has to pay for the mistake. But we're not going to throw LeGarrette Blount out on the street."

Kelly said he hoped Blount's ultimate legacy "won't be a YouTube clip of what happened to him on September 3rd in Boise, Idaho."

Hout won't be suspended for taunting Blount. Boise State spokesman Max Corbet told The Associated Press in an e-mail that Petersen planned to spend time with Hout this week to help him learn from what happened.

Mike Bellotti, who stepped aside as head coach to become Oregon's athletic director this summer, said the Pac-10 was consulted about the punishment and supported Oregon's decision.

Bellotti was with Kelly when the Blount was told of the suspension and described the running back's reaction as dismay.

"It was a very difficult decision and one I don't think he was expecting, but he was aware there was a certain amount of gravity to the situation," Bellotti said.

Oregon president Richard Lariviere called Blount's behavior "reprehensible."

"We do not and will not tolerate the actions that were taken by our player. Oregon's loyal fans expect and deserve better," Lariviere said in a statement.

Blount, a 6-foot-2, 240-pound transfer from East Mississippi CC, rushed for 1,002 yards and a school-record 17 touchdowns last season.

On Thursday night, he had eight carries for a loss of five yards.

In February, Blount was suspended indefinitely from the team for "failure to fulfill team obligations." Bellotti did not share details, but Blount reportedly missed offseason team meetings.

He was reinstated before spring practice.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott was at the game and saw the punch.

"We commend the University of Oregon and its leadership for taking swift and decisive action in response to this incident," Scott said in a statement. "The Pac-10 strongly emphasizes sportsmanship and fair play in all its athletic competitions and expects high standards of sportsmanship from all participants, including student-athletes. In this case, those standards were not met and the university has taken appropriate disciplinary actions."

The NCAA also weighed in.

"Under no circumstance is fighting acceptable. ... Sportsmanship is everyone's responsibility, including student-athletes, coaches, officials, institutions and fans," NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson said in a statement.

I watched quite a bit of this game up to some point in the 3rd Quarter. Up to that point, the commentators spoke quite a bit about "The Bulletin Board Material" that Blount had provided during the week of preparation leading up to the game.

Though being "Politically Correct", one of the announcers correctly summed up the situation about Blount's comments in saying:

"You should never let your mouth write a check that your [ass] can't cash"

Therefore, when I read the next morning about what transpired at the end of the game, it came as no suprise to me. In essence, it is pretty well evident that Blount had no appetite for the HUNDREDS of "crow feathers" that were shoved down his throat at the end of the game.

This is why you don't talk smack.

Apparently, in my observation of 'lurking' around on this forum, there are many proponents of this cultural phenomena. I have seen and read many players proclaim 'how much fun it is'. However, it seems that the fun had when the words fly OUT OF THE MOUTH in one direction are not nearly as fun when those same words tied to the tips of crow feathers are being force fed back the other direction.

Obviously, Blount "miscalculated" the number of "helpings" he would receive. He now has ample opportunity to "digest" the consequences.

As that rather stark character on "In Living Color" used to say...

"Now how you feel 'bout yo'self?"

"I don't think so... Homey don't play dat!"

Seriously...stop being so touchy

Touchy
Seriously...stop being so touchy

Who do you think is being touchy

Yes the team suspended him for the Panther game or should we say he did that himself anyway he wasn't needed at the Panther game I mean come one they have scored like what three touchdowns all year and the game didn't mean anything anyway the only game that will matter is when the cutters play the generals in the championship game, will be just like last year go to the team that won regular season and then destroy them at home.
There is unfinished business with the generls and a couple of their people who like to run their mouth and believe me they will be sorry for the crap they brought on in the first game.
JT can joke about birthday cards and postage all he wants and MR ChickenS*#T can try and run and hide but in the end they BOTH know that the cutters have more class than they ever will have and the cutters will destroy the generals at Arlington of course thats if the generals can get past the wolfpack which personally I don't think they can a second time I look for the pack to beat them and cheat us out of whipping their A$$ in front of their 30 fans. Yes after the 19th the championship will once again go thru Bloomington. GO WOLFPACK!!!!!!
The cutters have been woke up and we have some very good coaches that are helping with things to prepare and everyone is about to see what total destruction is all about.
The Generals can also take their BCS rating and shave it where the sun don't shine no way should they be that high.

heyyyyyy cutter fan your back : ) we all like you esp after how bad you made your team look after all the shit you talked before last generals game and you lost. just so you know though, cutters have never ever oncne whooped up on mustangs. EVER. won game by one point in championship and had to come back with less than 3 minutes to do so. not an ass whooping. this year only won beacuse the qb got hurt(on a great play by nick anderson) but they were about to score for the game when that happened. wolfpack game was only won cause theyre back fumbled on the cutter 10 which would have been game. the cutters never once c ontrolled the generals game, whats your excuse for losing that one? you couldnt have had more motivation to come back, they lit firworks at your field(HILARIOUS by the way) you had turnovers, guess what so did the generals. the better team won that game and the better team will win throughout, maybe generals, maybe wolfpack, maybe mustangs with amos at helm, but i can promise it wont be your sorry no class(contrary to what you guys think, good way to open showers for guys, hopefully the generals dont gives you guys shit either)team.

OK, cutters fan. Goodluck to your team in the playoffs, and Hope to see you soon. Maybe then we can do things right and get your NAME. Until then take it easy, buddy.

Observer
heyyyyyy cutter fan your back : ) we all like you esp after how bad you made your team look after all the shit you talked before last generals game and you lost. just so you know though, cutters have never ever oncne whooped up on mustangs. EVER. won game by one point in championship and had to come back with less than 3 minutes to do so. not an ass whooping. this year only won beacuse the qb got hurt(on a great play by nick anderson) but they were about to score for the game when that happened. wolfpack game was only won cause theyre back fumbled on the cutter 10 which would have been game. the cutters never once c ontrolled the generals game, whats your excuse for losing that one? you couldnt have had more motivation to come back, they lit firworks at your field(HILARIOUS by the way) you had turnovers, guess what so did the generals. the better team won that game and the better team will win throughout, maybe generals, maybe wolfpack, maybe mustangs with amos at helm, but i can promise it wont be your sorry no class(contrary to what you guys think, good way to open showers for guys, hopefully the generals dont gives you guys shit either)team.

Oh we will have showers even if we have to bring them ourself you see we have the resourses to do that and as far as fireworks go that guy is a worthless chicken S**T who had to run like a girl before the game was even over and then once caught wouldn't fight back back what a sorry a^^ I mean come on let a guy swing at him and never even tried to swing back just wanted to keep walking what a wuss

maybe he wouldnt fight back cause hes a grown ass man. let your coach know to def bring your own showers but good luck getting passed the mustangs. dont see it happening at all

Look the Crush and Shamrock are not going to lay down for anyone. The Raiders will show up and Punch the Cutters in the mouth a few times too. No one needs to look past the team they are playing on the 12th. Good luck to the Crush,Shamrock,Panthers and Raiders gotta love the underdog.

Bryan Butler
Look the Crush and Shamrock are not going to lay down for anyone. The Raiders will show up and Punch the Cutters in the mouth a few times too. No one needs to look past the team they are playing on the 12th. Good luck to the Crush,Shamrock,Panthers and Raiders gotta love the underdog.

Does anyone know what time the Generals - Panthers game is at Arlington on the 12th the Generals web site just says TBA

5:00 pm.

Walking away from a fight is not a sign of weakness. Anyone who thinks differently is ignorant.

Since when does not fighting make someone less of a man?

Some people need to go back to grade school.

Agreed on the point above- a lesson that many of our readers would do well to learn. Walking away from a fight is a demonstration of great strength- much greater strength than is required to start swinging.

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

Dr. MLK, Jr.

SupaFan
Agreed on the point above- a lesson that many of our readers would do well to learn. Walking away from a fight is a demonstration of great strength- much greater strength than is required to start swinging.

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

Dr. MLK, Jr.

TELL THAT TO THE MAN WHO SHOT KING (OR) SHOT FIREWORKS

Memphis
SupaFan

Dr. MLK, Jr.

So you are comparing the shooting of Dr. King to shooting off fireworks at a football game get f'ing real, I couldn't believe I read that this morning. The guy who shot the fireworks wasn't even on the school property and it did just what it was supposed to do take one team out of their game. Everyone on here just keeps bringing it up what the hell is it with you all. One firework and and thats all you all remember and oh don't forget coaches leaving the game early to attack a fan. I think this all needs to be put to bed but I'm sure this isn't the last we have or will hear about this, but to comapre that incident to the shooting or Dr. King that is a new low.

Memphis
SupaFan

Dr. MLK, Jr.

How ignorant some people can be. James Earl Ray shot MLK Jr. (that's second grade history). And all he succeeded in doing was turning a great man into a martyr.

People who resort to violence only weaken their cause.

Get off that infantile BS.