supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
League...

Anyone know what the start up costs for a league would be? I understand it could be costly, however, I would just want a "ballpark" figure...just curious. Maybe even give insight what you would want in a league and a league President...not causing any trouble, just brainstorming to provide better product on the football fields thoughout the region.

Re: League...

I want to say the IFL collected about 10 grand this year for head ref, insurance, website, trophies, championship field and game. It ran the teams around 600 each if I remember right.
I think starting a new league is a waist of time though not to bring you down. Wayne Wolf had teams on board and experience to get it done thats why the CRFL worked. I see them expanding next season because they are picking up teams that don't want to deal with teams like the Generals when they said at the IFL board meeting and I quote "we don't care what you put in the by-laws we will do what we want, what are you going to do about it". They along with the cutters ran the meetings this year weather people want to admit it or not, I was there.

However the solution is not a new league but new leadership across the board. And i'm not just talking about the IFL. The teams having the problems have horrible leadership along with coaching and let the bad apples run the teams. Thats where the fighting and bad sportsmanship comes from not the league.

If you want things to get better put rules in place for fighting, fines and suspensions and strictly enforce them (if your already paying to play a fine is the last thing you want) and this disgusting displays I've seen will stop. Kids these days just don't respect the game or the coaches like they used to and that is where the problem lyes. Until people stop allowing players to run the teams you will not get rid of this problem.

i was at the meetings to and your quote is definatley false. i know exactly what incident your talking about with the whole letting other teams film your games. and if you have a problem with the generals and cutters "running" the meetings then step up more and be heard. coach shean is not afraid to speak up and let his opionion known. the rep from generals troy edwards was former president of the league and has alot of valuable insight. but to say they run the league. next to the pirates who were absoultely screwd with schedule the generals and cutters have the worst schedules in the league. generals who have to play in bloomington second year in a row and play two games as far as the south division goes out in ohio(really couldnt get one of them games at home?) or maybe the cutters who have to play against the blaze. wasnt the divisions supposed to cut down on travel? thats the furthest possible drive in the league. 3 top league members all from mustangs team. thats really fair? championship game in the north? im sure thats all the cutters and generals decision there, thats exactly what they wanted since they run the league.

the force got screwed with with the schedule too, we got to go to brazil in. last week and all the way up to sturgis in. this week those are both 3-1/2 hr drives too. Our reps tried to fix the divisions for easy travel after the schedules were posted and the board didnt want anything to hear of it

I appreciate the insight in all of this! However, when you have teams like the Generals, and from what I have heard have the numbers and talent unlike most if not all the other teams in the league, except for maybe 1 or 2, is there a possibility of forming a league and "capping" the number of players you can have on a team? Fair or not, it would form more teams, and with more teams, more games, more games, more competition, and more competition, MORE FUN!!! The IFL seems to be a well thought out league, however, the bylaws in the league ARE NOT THERE. They are not posted anywhere, unlike the Heartland league where rules, costs, finances from the previous year are posted and easily to find. The competition in the IFL would be better if teams had a minimum number of players and maximum number of players per team. NOW, I understand to establish that may be difficult, however it can be done.

Arent there enough leagues around already?

well i have played in the IFL for three years now. i believe that everything negative said about this league is off of the tongue of haters! i think they did a great job of avoiding last years problem of teams folding at the last min. everyone who plays this level of ball knowns that it is all out of pocket. so nobody got screwed, its ok if the generals have a million and one people, at least the generals and cutters are at board meetings tryin to get creative juices goin to make this league better. it is way better then my first year!

SO PEOPLE PLEASE QUITE WITH THE KNEE JERKIN! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Why are the Generals the team to target?
The Generals are who and what they are because of JT. Like him or hate him he is the MAN! Before I played for him I always said screw him I hate him. Once you play for him you don't want to play for anyone else. His passion for the game is second to none. His knowledge of the game is amazing. Above all this it is his leadership skills that hook you. He knows how to lead every player individualy. Then make you all work together as a team. He knows how to be one of the guys and be the head coach at the same time. His practices make you feel like a NFL player.
He coaches us to play hard and give all you got not just for us and the team but for the love of the game.
We don't play for the the people on this site that hate us or for the other teams we play. We play for us. Say what you want about our team and our leadership but we wont play for any other coach.

General player, buddy that hate you guys cuz they ain't you guys! everyone wants to win and the majority of these teams won't because of the things you just said about jt and the generals. who else has that ability to lead grown set in their way men like that.......... don't worry i'll wait for the answer! lol. Mad respect to you, JT, & the rest of your organization. i mean for goodness sake......JT himself gave us nothing but respect and told us excatly how he beat us after are game! nobody does that when there is a chance that you could see that team again. so again you guys stay together and keep rolin fools up!

the CRFL has a cap on rosters, everyone gets in to playoffs,and the travel is equal, and the team cost is much cheaper than other leagues. i am willing to say that some of the decent teams such as the cutters, shamrock, force and panthers will follow the steps of the raiders seeing that the raiders are the only undefeated team in the CRFL. (in my opinion)the mistakes that the IFL made was not allowing everyone in playoffs, stoping the allstar game and banquet, and pushing teams away(I.E. raiders, cougars).

General Player
Why are the Generals the team to target?
The Generals are who and what they are because of JT. Like him or hate him he is the MAN! Before I played for him I always said screw him I hate him. Once you play for him you don't want to play for anyone else. His passion for the game is second to none. His knowledge of the game is amazing. Above all this it is his leadership skills that hook you. He knows how to lead every player individualy. Then make you all work together as a team. He knows how to be one of the guys and be the head coach at the same time. His practices make you feel like a NFL player.
He coaches us to play hard and give all you got not just for us and the team but for the love of the game.
We don't play for the the people on this site that hate us or for the other teams we play. We play for us. Say what you want about our team and our leadership but we wont play for any other coach.

Jt has been a winner every where he has coached it is no surprise that he has his team ranked nationally. His players would walk on hot coals for the man, he is a hard line man who does what he says he is going to do and never goes back on his word.
As his shirt says
"we don't play to be liked, we play to win " That may just be a saying on a shirt but to JT it is gospel and the General players feel the same way, they have that one for all and all for one mentality going they are a football family, you mess with one and you mess with them all I have seen many JT coached teams over the past few years and this team
( no disrespect to the former Dragons ) is by far THE BEST TEAM he has ever coached, from top to bottom they are a strong team, and after seeing their practices lately I can assure you they are focused and ready to destroy any team that lines up against them.The Generals organization the past couple of years has also got it together, and done some major changes, how about that beautiful Roncalli turf field that they call home the excitement of game day at their games now, the following they have on the road and the attendence at their home games.
He never lets up and one thing is certain you better bring your A game when you play the Generals and don't expect them to let off the throttle until the game clock shows no time left.

It's always funny how people try to bash a Democracy like the IFL..."Let's go somewhere else, because of this or that." The All Star game can come back, there can be caps put on rosters, etc... It can be brought up to the entire league and brought to a vote, and EVERY team has a vote. If most of the teams in the league vote for it, then there you go.

We had every team make the playoffs, but were sick of the bottom seeded teams not making the trips to the higher seeded teams, and forfeiting.

I will also speak to the COWARD "ex IFLer" or whoever you are. I usually don't respond to crap, but since you have misquoted me and twisted my words I feel I must. I can only imagine you are with the Raiders, since they are the only ex-team. You obviously don't listen at meetings, or you only hear what you want to hear. I won't even go into the point that was being made during that conversation, because you aren't worth it.

One of the worst things about Semi-pro ball is the "take my ball and go home" attitude many people have. If they can't get their way at one place then they will give up and go somewhere else and try to tear down what they just left. It gets old trying to tell everyone how the Democratic system works...people just feel more comfortable imagining there is this one evil force controlling them, and blaming everything they don't like on that. Sorry to tell you there isn't one. Being a part of a dictatorship is easy. You don't have to make any decisions, and you can bitch about everything. Being a part of a Democracy is a little harder. You have to actually have an opinion and make decisions. The problem is you are responsible for those decisions, and maybe bitch a little less about your situation.

I am grateful there are people who will continue to defend the IFL and what so many people have worked so hard to put together. Some people will not be happy with the league, and so be it. I do completely believe that the IFL has done IT right, and will continue to do so.

Troy Edwards
It's always funny how people try to bash a Democracy like the IFL..."Let's go somewhere else, because of this or that." The All Star game can come back, there can be caps put on rosters, etc... It can be brought up to the entire league and brought to a vote, and EVERY team has a vote. If most of the teams in the league vote for it, then there you go.

We had every team make the playoffs, but were sick of the bottom seeded teams not making the trips to the higher seeded teams, and forfeiting.

I will also speak to the COWARD "ex IFLer" or whoever you are. I usually don't respond to crap, but since you have misquoted me and twisted my words I feel I must. I can only imagine you are with the Raiders, since they are the only ex-team. You obviously don't listen at meetings, or you only hear what you want to hear. I won't even go into the point that was being made during that conversation, because you aren't worth it.

One of the worst things about Semi-pro ball is the "take my ball and go home" attitude many people have. If they can't get their way at one place then they will give up and go somewhere else and try to tear down what they just left. It gets old trying to tell everyone how the Democratic system works...people just feel more comfortable imagining there is this one evil force controlling them, and blaming everything they don't like on that. Sorry to tell you there isn't one. Being a part of a dictatorship is easy. You don't have to make any decisions, and you can bitch about everything. Being a part of a Democracy is a little harder. You have to actually have an opinion and make decisions. The problem is you are responsible for those decisions, and maybe bitch a little less about your situation.

I am grateful there are people who will continue to defend the IFL and what so many people have worked so hard to put together. Some people will not be happy with the league, and so be it. I do completely believe that the IFL has done IT right, and will continue to do so.
take my ball and go home , lets go somewhere else, arent these the same attitudes you and the longhorns and the broncos had when you and Bushman started this league in 2004. didnt like this or that, that the MFL was doing, so we will start our own league, with alot of the same rules until others changed them and made the league more organized.

hah he said force in his post.

Actually, "Hmmmm"...why don't you say your name? I put my name out there and open myself up to jabs...why don't you?

We didn't take our ball and go home. We wanted to stay in the MFL. We got teams together to try and restructure the MFL. After Earl was briefed of our not secret "secret" meeting, he took it upon himself to have the Generals, Broncos and Longhorns thrown out of the MFL, because we dared undermine his self given authority. The IFL was not even discussed until we found ourselves without a league. We brought in the KC Mustangs, and that was the beginning of the IFL. Anything else you want to know?

Newbie,
Back to your original question, How much would it cost to start a new league?

There really is no definitive answer to that, but some things you need to take into consideration(this list is not all inclusive):

What will it cost you to run the league? Will you provide insurance for your teams, what will your administrative costs be, will you offer any prizes for teams(how much will they cost), will you utilize a head of officials, do you plan to advertise, etc...

Next you will need to figure out how will you raise the money you need. Will you charge a fee to member teams, will you solicit sponsorships to offset costs, can you market your league on a commercial level and make it self supporting, or any combination thereof?

Then comes the question of what kind of teams do you hope to attract and how do you plan to get them on board? As has been said in a previous thread, there are many leagues to choose from in this geographical area, they range from some large market teams that have larger rosters and operating budgets with the ability to travel long distances to play on a regular basis. To teams that are in very small markets with a more limited ability to attract deep roster numbers(although some of those individuals can be very talented) and limtited budgets with few opportunities for sponsors.
Now neither of those factors are any guarantee of success or failure on the field and many types of teams can operate successfully within the same league(there are differing opinions on what it takes to run and operate a team and what constitutes success) but it can be done. If you have been paying attention, many teams have a fierce loyalty to a league that they feel is the right fit for them, while some others are still looking for a place they feel at home. So what will your point of differentiation be? What will you do that is better than what is being done currently, and how can you convince others of it.

How will your league be run and what type of business will it be. What type of governing body will you use, will the member teams have a say in it?

So many more items that should be considered and I'm way too slow to try and type them here.

I truly hope this helps to answer your question and doesn't drag on too long or discourage you.

Well I guess since I have been in the IFL and watched it grow since day one.People will never get over the fact that this is everyday people trying to make the league right.They arent the NFL or any other top league in the world.Its trial and error til you get it right you dont like it dont play.You cant play watch from the stands.There has always been problems when one team dominates the league people want so many changes.

I remember when we sucked that first year with the broncos then guess what 3 years later 3 straight titles nobody stopped us or beat us in league play during that run.Everyone wanted the broncos out because we didnt care we showed up played dominated.

Now all this talk on jt and the generals guess what we dont care we show up we play we win we go home do it all over again the next week.You dont like it dont play you want it to stop then beat us and stop it.Dont be mad because every team doesnt make the playoffs.Spend the off season getting better fixing your problems become a team stop crying and just play football.Create your team in madden and win every game and make yourself a 99 overall.

Jt runs the generals he puts everyone of us in are place at practice and we came together as a team if you was ray lewis and you didnt like what he said guess what get in your car and go home.We dont question him we dont go against anything he says no matter what it is.Coaches coach players play.JT makes you believe nobody can beat us and nobody will.We are that good as a team.If one person fails we pick his ass up we carry him and we still shut everything down.Hes the best coach in the league he hates everyone of us and hes a coach not are damn friend.Maybe your coaches should figure that out.

WOLF...

Thank you so much for the insight, I honestly did not have much of an idea, but you put it in concrete and I appreciate that very much. You've given me alot to think about!

As far as the Generals go...if I started anything I apologize, that was not my intention. You guys are the epitome of what every semi-pro team should shoot for. Well coached team, a disciplined team, a VERY talented team, and as the numbers on your team show, a team that is very diverse. I could only imagine how much FUN you guys have at practice!!!

I appreciate everyone helping me understand the difficulties and the other steps that are needed to start a league!