Comment
GDFL GAME OF THE WEEK "Racing on I-65 "

Derby City Thunder vs Indianapolis Tornados: Wk10 Game of the Week
A top 10 matchup awaits in Week 10

Total Sports Coverage
Total Sports Coverage

Football
Updated Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:17:09 CT

ATLANTA, GA - The Week 10 game of the week has been released. The No.3 Indianapolis Tornados will put their undefeated record on the line against another undefeated team just south down I-65 in the No.10 Derby City Thunder. Derby City entered the Top 10 for the first time this season and will have a shot right out of the gate to showcase their worth.

The Thunder come in led by Impact Conference All Star quarterback Eric Miles. Miles has had targets like Antonio Eddins and Jerome Walton to throw to all season on his way to tossing 21TDs and rushing for 7TD. Reshun Carter is carrying the rock out of the backfield with a solid average per strike [carry]. Derby City isn't undfeated without the play of a stout defense. Mike Sowell, Cleavon Pickett and Robert Martin anchor a defense that has only allowed opponents 58 points through 7 games. For Thunder Owner Howard Gant the move to the GDFL this season "...was all about the level of competition and the relationship with GDFL President Charles Thompson who has a great concept for the GDFL", Gant stated. That test of competition will be on display this weekend.

North up I-65 the No.3 Tornados are all about striving for another championship. The program hasn't seen a league championship since 2008 and with a small number of the core group of guys remaining, the Tornados are looking for their leadership to carry the them along with mentoring the youth on what it takes to be a champion. Even this Tornado possesses a "thunder and lightning" aspect. In the backfield Jimi Agnew and Tony West cause defenses pop up storms on a routine basis. The Offensive Line is rounding into form just in time for the stretch. Across the line the Tornados average 6'3 300 and have a veteran center leading them.

What a way, to kick off the Week 10 slate! The GDFL Game Center in the media section will keep you informed of the latest. You can always get the latest by following on Twitter @THEGDFL.

Re: GDFL GAME OF THE WEEK "Racing on I-65 "

I wish I could watch this game. Let's go Tornados. I am a die hard Generals fan, but gotta root for the hometown boys!

Simon embraces opportunity with Atlanta Chiefs

By David Rutz
drutz@neighbornewspapers.com
Special / Atlanta Chiefs

Atlanta Chiefs running back Dwayne Simon drags a defender from the Georgia Crush during a home game at Riverwood High School in Sandy Springs July 16.

He bounced around four different high schools, one prep school in Connecticut, and had a brief tour of duty at Hobart College in 2008.

There was a bid to join the Army that was derailed by asthma and lots of time in the gymnasium.

It has indeed been a winding road for running back Dwayne Simon, 22, in his quest to play professional football.

Now that he’s settled with the Atlanta Chiefs minor league football team in Sandy Springs, he’s heading straight toward his goals, and the Chiefs are reaping the benefits.

“I’m just taking the long way around,” Simon said. “If I make it somewhere, man, I’ve got a good story to tell.”

Through Atlanta’s first six games this summer, he’d rushed 52 times for 443 yards, good for 8.5 yards a carry, and nine touchdowns.

“He’s our horse right now,” said Chiefs coach Tyrone Johnson.

It’s a perfect reciprocal relationship. The Chiefs, who play in the Gridiron Developmental Football League, give aspiring pro players a venue to be discovered. And Simon has been the Chiefs’ most valuable offensive weapon.

The athletically gifted Simon is a self-confessed gym rat, working out upwards of three times per day. At 5 feet, 11 inches tall and 208 pounds but also with the speed to run a 4.42-second 40-yard dash, Johnson said Simon reminds him of a young Marshall Faulk.

“I’ve got a lot of coaches that tell me that I need to start hitting the seam more, because I if I see you coming in, I’m going to attack you,” Simon said. “I like to try to run through everybody.”

Georgia Tech has demonstrated interest in Simon, who has college eligibility remaining, as well as representatives from the Canadian Football League. Johnson and General Manager and team owner Stan Gay, who both played in the NFL, are also working on getting Simon a tryout with the Atlanta Falcons.

“I’m waiting on the first thing that opens up,” Simon said.

Simon called Johnson after moving from Florida to Georgia last year and learning about the Chiefs on Facebook. Johnson, who played for the San Diego Chargers from 1991 to 1994, worked him out personally.

“Anything that the NFL would put him through, I put him through,” Johnson said. “Everything they would do for a running back, I would do. He has an unbelievable ability.”

Gay was similarly impressed when he saw Simon during tryouts.

“He just stood out among all the athletes that we had to try out,” Gay said. “He’s one of those guys that instantly when you see him he’s something special.”

Simon’s father, Dwayne Sr., is a truck driver and had to move around a lot, so he went to four different high schools in the Northeast. After playing at Hobart College in Geneva, N.Y., in 2008, financial aid dried up and ended his time there. He then tried to join the Army, but because of his asthma, he was told he would have to wait nearly 18 months before becoming active. Not wanting to stay in limbo that long, he kept himself in shape in Boston and then in Florida before winding up in Georgia.

And the Chiefs are behind him all the way in his quest to get to the next level. Any time, a call could come that could change Simon’s future.

“We know that we need to keep him ready to go, but he does that already,” Johnson said.

[glow=red,2,300]Click link to Listen[/glow];
http://www.meridix.com/mbp/radio/index.php?liveid=TotalSportsCoverage&recordid=19992

Lynx Record-Setting Return of Field-Goal Attempt Puts Stags Away

July 31, 2011

South Jersey Lynx Media Group

VERNON, New Jersey – The South Jersey Lynx (4-3) enter their second bye week of the season on a great note. After last night’s 27-19 road win over the Jersey Stags (4-3), the Lynx have managed to win 3 games in a row, something that looked very bleak early in the season.

This is the second loss of the season that the Lynx were able to avenge. The biggest difference between game one and game seven was defense. The Lynx defense has been improving every week and this was the best they’ve played this season. Pressure from the defensive line caused havoc for the Stags offense. Defensive ends James Pollard Jr. and Paul Hand were relentless coming off the edges producing sacks and forcing the quarterback to get rid of the ball. That pressure combined with good coverage from the secondary allowed for so many passes to be broken up. FS Chris Pollard added to the defensive domination with 2 interceptions.

Offensively, Lynx quarterback Keith Jones accounted for two of the Lynx four touchdowns. RB Fidel Napier was on the opposite end of a Jones swing pass for a score from 8 yards out. Jones also scored on a 1 yard rush.

The remarkable highlight of the day was the special-teams play of 9 year veteran Edward Dover. Aside from returning a punt 77 yards for a touchdown, Dover may have one of the longest returns in football history. The Stags attempted a field goal which happened to fall short of the crossbar and into the hands of Dover about an inch from the end line. Dover started left as he exited his own end zone and when things became congested, he reversed fields and ran past a wall of blockers that picked off Stag tacklers, one by one like dominoes. Dover returned the missed field goal 110 yards for a touchdown while forever cementing his place in the Lynx record books for longest play in franchise history, that record can only be tied and never broken.

The Lynx, as a unit, played very well getting major contributions from all three phases of the game. Playing that well gives you a great chance to get wins and that is what the Lynx have accomplished. Playing this well late in the season is significant in the continued fight to make the Gridiron Developmental Football League’s playoffs. There is a three way tie between the Lynx, Stags and DC Explosion for second place in the GDFL's North Atlantic - North Division. Because of tie-break rules, the Lynx sit atop the three teams. All three teams trail the undefeated Chambersburg Cardinals who look to have the best chance at winning the division with just 3 games remaining in the regular season. The GDFL playoffs begin on August 27th.

South Jersey will have a bye before they meet rival Washington (DC) Explosion at home on Saturday, August 13.

NOTES: Pollard Jr. recorded his 17 sack of the season, added to his franchise leading sack total of 50.5 and needs just one more sack to break his own record for most sacks in a single season (17.5)