supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Struggling teams

I am starting a new football league and am looking for teams that would be interested in playing 8 man football. Meaning 8 players on the field like in arena football, but playing it outdoors. I know a lot of teams struggle with numbers especially lineman so this league will give those teams an alternative to folding. Less players on the field and shorter quarters will make it so that small rosters are no problem. Leave a comment if interested.

Re: Struggling teams

Why not stop selling snake oil to these guys in Indiana and stop creating divisive measure. How bout try and send the struggling teams to partner with stronger orgs. Maybe u should try doing that rather than making a move to help teams cop out. They started promising to field a 11 man team and bout to fail. Move round to the side and quit faking. And giving a bum org an outlet. Get out the game!

A lot of the players on those teams are to far away from other teams. Or might be good potentially good organizations but need an easier start up that might even help them build an 11 man team down the road. It is not devisive at all it is simply giving more people the chance to play.

Mitchell -

8 man football would require some logistics to pull off. You would need to repaint football fields to shorten the widths, retrain refs and players to 8 man "arena" rules. Also the smaller the team, the more cash you must raise per player, or per owner. Field rental, Liability Insurance, and referees cost are really set and are not going to get any cheaper with 8 man vs 11.

You also say your in an area of the state that hasn't a lot of options? Your not from Ohio then, and unless you from southern or western indiana there are plenty of teams across indiana.

You are going to need around 20 players to play at the increased pace of 8 man football, and that only giving you 4 backups including a kicker, unless you have players playing both ways.

Then my next concern would be if these players are not willing to travel x miles to play for one the current teams, or cannot play for a current team due to previous issues, how will they be willing to travel 2-3 hours to play other teams 4-5 times a year.

The crossroads football league is designed to give smaller teams - 20-25 or so an place to play and grow while playing against teams in similar positions and the Mad River Stallions made to the Ohio State Championship last year with under 25. None of our teams travel more than 3 hours this year. If you would like please send me an e-mail and we'll discuss your situation.

Good luck this year

Mitchell,
I think your idea has merit. The only thing I would criticize is the timing but even that may be irrelevant.

I say that because there are so many leagues (which I again think there are TOO MANY) that will be impacted by an effort like this. That being said though, I say that it may be irrelevant because some of these same teams will probably end of folding in mid-year which will still cause major disruptions. The bottom line, while well intended, people AND leagues that embark on this type of expansion REALLY NEED TO give more thought to creating these teams.

I see posts like this every year and it bothers me, the main problem in semi-pro football is the fact that so many people try to start a team or start a league. It isn't that easy guys and at this point in the year it is impossible. There are some teams that have always had high numbers that are struggling just to hold a decent practice. Sponsors should by now already for the most part be locked up or at least in the final stages of talks.
Coaching staffs are working on game plans and practice plans (if they aren't they are already in trouble)
Home fields should be locked down and scheduled for 2012 if a team has not got this done there is a reason for it ( they either can't afford it or they don't have one0) the reason I say this is simple everyone likes to brag about their home field and where they are playing so check some web sites and I'm sure you will see home game locations posted if not then wonder why.
It take DETERMINATION, LOYALITY, and COMMITMENT to operate a team these days, one person cannot do it alone nor can one person front the money needed for a full season. IT takes a great web site, good front office people, and many other intangibles to be a great team and actually make it in these hard times, it takes more than a few friends that have played together for a while. There are many that try to use their money to make it work but very few are successful.
Good Luck to anyone that is trying to start out this year and Good Luck to those who are running way behind this season.
There are many leagues and teams already in place maybe instead of forming new leagues and teams it is time for teams to merge and become strong and look to the future. A good example of a merge that would make sense would be a couple teams like the Generals and Tornadoes. talk about a powerful team.

I like some of the feedback and really posted this just to get that feedback. The timing would be wrong to try to start this now, but next year I do intend to try to make this happen. I posted this now because this is the time that teams are folding and i want it in their minds for the future. I like the idea of a guy and a group of his buddies being able to start a team and sustain it. I think it will be a lot of fun and less stressful on those trying to start teams, because a team of 12-15 guys could make it.

Mitchell,

My impression of your post/proposal was that your primary goal was to establish an avenue where guys could participate in competitive contact football... PERIOD. As such, I did not make certain assumptions that I feel others may have. IF... that is your goal then, many of the arguments against your effort are irrelevant.

1) Repainting football fields would only be necessary IF you feel large facilities are REQUIRED to conduct a game.
2) Similar to the first point, field rental/leasing is only relevant IF you are using large facilities.
3) IMO, it is also conceivable that ‘your game’ (as you perceive it) could forego the scoring part of the kicking game which would allow you to utilize facilities that do not have goal posts.

All things considered, ‘your game’ would be logistically not unlike recreational softball. It COULD operate just like the diamond game as if you were playing a tourney every weekend (with the travel requirements etc.). The difference there is that ‘your game’ would not require an entire Saturday, Sunday or entire weekend.

IF on the other hand, your idea is to features use of high school fields, locker rooms, etc. Then you indeed need to consider items such as John Jackson listed in his post.

HBC

HBC,

That is exactly my vision. I dont think large facilities are needed. I want to make it so easy a caveman can do it. I think that the softball or a flag football comparison is exactly what I am going for, only with full contact football. The repainting fields thing is a big consideration. I know that some high schools that play 8 man football use full sized fields and that would likely be the easiest way to start. I think that it can be done with one field that all games are played at. So that in order to start a team you dont need to do anything except assemble your players.

Mitchell,

When I became HC of the Madison County Chiefs, we competed in THE ORIGINAL GRFL (Grass Roots Football League). The commissioner of the GRFL was a man named Ira Johnson (father of Kevin Johnson who took over for his father and renamed the league to the FFL ~ Federal Football League. Ira was also the man behind THE ORIGINAL Indy Tornados) but I digress.

To get back on point, Ira later had an idea for a league which featured smaller roster teams and planned to call it the 'Ironman Football League'. I have not heard of Ira for quite a while but if he is still in the Indy area he might be a good person to converse with just to 'pick his brain' so to speak. Some of the things you mentioned in your reply sound remarkably similar to his proposal as I recall. Just a thought.

HBC