supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Struggling teams

Mitchell,

My impression of your post/proposal was that your primary goal was to establish an avenue where guys could participate in competitive contact football... PERIOD. As such, I did not make certain assumptions that I feel others may have. IF... that is your goal then, many of the arguments against your effort are irrelevant.

1) Repainting football fields would only be necessary IF you feel large facilities are REQUIRED to conduct a game.
2) Similar to the first point, field rental/leasing is only relevant IF you are using large facilities.
3) IMO, it is also conceivable that ‘your game’ (as you perceive it) could forego the scoring part of the kicking game which would allow you to utilize facilities that do not have goal posts.

All things considered, ‘your game’ would be logistically not unlike recreational softball. It COULD operate just like the diamond game as if you were playing a tourney every weekend (with the travel requirements etc.). The difference there is that ‘your game’ would not require an entire Saturday, Sunday or entire weekend.

IF on the other hand, your idea is to features use of high school fields, locker rooms, etc. Then you indeed need to consider items such as John Jackson listed in his post.

HBC

Mitchell,
I think your idea has merit. The only thing I would criticize is the timing but even that may be irrelevant.

I say that because there are so many leagues (which I again think there are TOO MANY) that will be impacted by an effort like this. That being said though, I say that it may be irrelevant because some of these same teams will probably end of folding in mid-year which will still cause major disruptions. The bottom line, while well intended, people AND leagues that embark on this type of expansion REALLY NEED TO give more thought to creating these teams.

HBC,

That is exactly my vision. I dont think large facilities are needed. I want to make it so easy a caveman can do it. I think that the softball or a flag football comparison is exactly what I am going for, only with full contact football. The repainting fields thing is a big consideration. I know that some high schools that play 8 man football use full sized fields and that would likely be the easiest way to start. I think that it can be done with one field that all games are played at. So that in order to start a team you dont need to do anything except assemble your players.

Mitchell,

When I became HC of the Madison County Chiefs, we competed in THE ORIGINAL GRFL (Grass Roots Football League). The commissioner of the GRFL was a man named Ira Johnson (father of Kevin Johnson who took over for his father and renamed the league to the FFL ~ Federal Football League. Ira was also the man behind THE ORIGINAL Indy Tornados) but I digress.

To get back on point, Ira later had an idea for a league which featured smaller roster teams and planned to call it the 'Ironman Football League'. I have not heard of Ira for quite a while but if he is still in the Indy area he might be a good person to converse with just to 'pick his brain' so to speak. Some of the things you mentioned in your reply sound remarkably similar to his proposal as I recall. Just a thought.

HBC