supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TO ALL MFL TEAMS AND PLAYERS

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOUR OPINION OF A SCORPION PLAYER GOOD OR BAD AND I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHY YOU FEEL THAT WAY JUST TRYING TO PROVE A POINT THE PLAYER IS #80 THE SELF ACCLAMED 3RD BEST DEFFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE STATE................LOL!!!!!!!!

Re: TO ALL MFL TEAMS AND PLAYERS

I have talked some trash this year about Showtime being one of the best corners in the state, but that is fair to say being as I have not seen that many.
However, the point was that he was a VERY GOOD CB!!

As for asying anyone is that good, 2nd or third in the state.. NO!
He is a very good player!
He has the build to be even better, but as I have told him before, if he will hit the weight room, and drop his 40 time, he would likely get a few more looks from scouts. For this league he is very good.
Now for the other side of that: Alot of players have this problem... Lets face it, most of us are at this level, because we couldn't do it at a high level....
Some of these players think they are better than they really are!!! They think they are so good that they become uncoachable.. We ALL know people like this!

He is good, but could be 10 times better if he would buy into a team concept, and not let his frustration destroy the teams attitude. I like him as a player, he is a play maker!

All I know is we are going to the big dance and all my brothers will show there talent there NUF Said!!Lets win that ring!! GO GO GO SCORPIONS LETS KICK SOME ASS see you guys at practice wed!Chan#74out!

I don’t post on here anymore but this post caught my attention. For those of you who don’t know me, I played for the Delaware County Thunder for 2 years then started the Grant County Scorpions 3 years ago. #80s name is Richard Lynn. Since I am no longer with the Scorpions organization most of what I can tell you about him is from the two previous years.
The first year for the Scorpions Richard traveled to every game. Richard showed up for pretty much every practice. Richard helped me stripe the football field before each and every home game. Richard brought in the most in sponsorships by a player for that season. He brought a cooler with ice for the players every game. He brought towels for himself and players for every game. He bought athletic tape and shared it with his teammates. He helped teammates wrap their wrists, ankles, and any other thing that they needed. He bought “extra” bottles of Gatorade for his teammates. He was always the first one to show up and usually the last one to leave on game day. Helping put out cones, yard markers, etc. then helping pick up trash after the game. He was the only player that helped analyze game film and take stats, often inviting myself and my family to his house just for that purpose. He ran other errands for the team as well….agreed to do interviews with local media outlets, picked up game programs from our supplier, passed out hundreds of recruitment fliers, participated in every non football event the team held, and constantly was recruiting new potential players.
The 2nd year for the Scorpions was much the same as the first year. Richard always helped out and was always one of the very few players on the Scorpions team for those two years that you could count on. He was a great example of what a “team” player is and even more so at this level of football when the responsibility of making it through a season and making these games happen relies solely on the owners and players. He understood that and as a team owner he was/is the type of player all of use want to find 10-12 of.
Richard is out spoken….not because he has an attitude problem but because he is extremely passionate about the game. He doesn’t want individual stats or accolades he wants to help the team; he wants to make the team better. Just ask him….he will tell you “I would rather play for a “team” and lose every game then win every game playing for an organization with talent that doesn’t play as a team” Anyone…including Dave….that has been around Richard and gotten to know him knows this about him. If you don’t understand this about him, maybe you should get to know him better.
All of this said and none of it has to do with what he does on the field. Why….because there is more at this level of football than individual stats, there is more at this level of football then show up on game day, and there is more than winning at this level of football resulting in a team having a successful season.
As a player Richard is 6’7” 260lbs or so. He played all linebacker positions, all defensive line positions, guard, tackle, and tight end the first two years he was with the Scorpions. The 1st year with the Scorpions he played both ways the entire game and still led the team in tackles and sacks. He was named by his teammates and coaches the Defensive Most Valuable Player and in my opinion he was the overall Most Valuable Player. He was named team captain both years he played as well.
Yes, as Dave said everyone could use a little more weight room time, a little more conditioning, and a little more speed. What you can’t be taught, what you can’t learn, what you can’t make better is your heart. When it is time for kickoff you won’t find a player that has more heart or wants to help the team more than Richard. You take a guy that thrives off defense, loves to hit, has great vision, has spent his entire career on the defensive side of the ball (with success in every level he has played) and with his size and speed you put him at FULL BACK and take him out of the defense completely???????????????????? We would be lying if we said we wouldn’t have a little bit of an attitude too.
If I still had a team I would take Richard as a player with open arms. And if I was ever to start another team, Richard will be the first player I call.

I agree with thomallet and Simpson. #80 is a fearsome force on both sides of the ball and has been a major contributor off the field. It is very likely that every opponent has had to adjust some aspect of their game whenever he steps foot on the field, even in his limited capacity as a FB.

As far "A CONCEREND SCORPION FAN"'s question/comment, I am confused as to what point you are trying make. If you don't care who we are and why we feel that why, why would you ask? I am not trying to discredit you, but you could at least let us know who you are and why you even care.

Is it your point that someone can't make a statement that he is the 3rd best defensive player in the state. Would it be better if he said he was the best or that he was 33rd best in your eyes? Is that your concern? I don't recall that he ever made that statement on this forum.

I would like comment on one of thomallet's observation though. Yes, many players on this team think they are better than they really are, but in my limted experience, football isn't a sport for guys who play with fear or doubt or complacency. If you play with the prevailing thought that you are might get beat in coverage or that you might fail to tackle that running back, you really shouldn't be on the field. I know what you were getting at though, so I am not necessarily disagreeing.

I am one of those guys who thinks he is better than what he really is, but I will give you my best and try to play like an NFL All-Star when I am on the field, even if I am not. I personally did spend a lot of time in the weight room in the off-season, with other teammates too. Once I realized that I would be needed less as a SS and more as an OLB, I put on 15 pounds in the weight room. I tried to maintain my speed as well in spite of the added weight. As far as conditioning, well, how many other guys spend their off-season and the bye weeks playing for a semi-pro Rugby team too? I did this to make myself more valuable for the team.

I thought that what I did in the offseason would make the difference, especially since I also won an award last year. At first, I wasn't okay with coming off the bench, but when I looked at the guys who were ahead of me on the depth chart...well, it just makes sense that I can contribute more as a 36 year-old backup and on special teams. In fact, I love special teams! We just got better and got deeper. Not everyone is going to play as much as we did last year. It's that simple. If we can suit up more than 22 guys it makes little sense to have guys playing both ends of the ball for the entire game.

Guys, it comes down to the decisions that we make as a player, coach and as a team. I may not always agree with the choices that my coaches or those that other players make, but as a veteran of this team I know better than to publicly air my support or dismay about them or their choices in lineups. I am not as unlikely to openly criticize a coaching staff that has helped us achieve a 6-1 record in league play as one that lead us to an 0-4 preseason record. Our coaches and #80 himself are likely to have a few choices that they regret but I ask that they don't air them out here, on this forum, it'll get our team nowhere except backwards. We've got more important issues to deal with this week as a team.

If you really are a "CONCEREND SCORPION FAN", you should that the Scorpions have learned to work and play as a team. We have fostered a postive image in our community and have enjoyed the friendships of our teammates off the field. On gameday, though, emotions and aggression runs at a peak.

#80 is my teammate and a good friend. I know what it's like to get tackled in practice by him...no one in this league, or on any other team that we have played, or in any other sport, has ever tackled as hard. I also know how tough it is to tackle him. Very few are as passionate about football either. If he has ever personally told you that he is the 3rd best linebacker in semi-pro in Indiana, I think he has underestimated himself, but I am admittedly bias.

Matthew Doss, #20
Grant County Scorpions, VP/Legal Counsel
Loves to play special teams.

Err...uhh, change the following sentence

"I am not as unlikely to openly criticize..." to "I am as unlikely to openly criticize".

Wrote it in between appointments and missed that in my proofread.

Well said Mike!
He helped as much as anyone in building this Scorpions team, and has been dedicated to the team since day one..

I will also say in the open public that while he has been very vocal about the game time situations this year(which have been disruptive to say the least). It is not a one sided issue. If loyalty is ever questioned concerning Richard, it wont be his loyalty that is questioned!!! He has been here from the start!! AND thinking back on the situation now, I made the statement earlier this year that: "I would rather have the 15 dedicated players we have had for two years than to have this attitude." He has been here, and the problems weren't... YES, He IS disrupting the the attitude of the team!! Amd if the team thinks the problems will go away by pushing Richard out the door, they will find it a rude awakening! Some of the other original Scorpions might take issue with it! Like it or not, The heart of the team is still with the original players. Yes others have it too, but the biggest part blongs to the three year vets!!!
Should I name them?

I dont have to!!

GO Scorpions!!!

As for Richard?

Lets get the MFL title Richard, then you can change anything you choose to. You are the FB! This team needs you in there...

Well here's showtime say on it. First of all I do think I'm the best CB in the league. But all my team knows i no more important than them. And I show them that everyday. Every player I went up against has mad respect for me, trash talking or not, and that's what matters. Game stats will be erased, but the respect of another man will last a lifetime. With that said let me talk some trash.

WHAT WILDCAT WANTS TO BE IN THE SHOW!! LOL

GO SCORPS

Mr. Simpson!!! Good to hear from ya buddy! I do have a question tho, what ever happend to that QB the scorps use to have 3 seasons ago???? Man that dude was a baller, besides a couple of the generals qb's and this DAMN quarterback we have in the IFL North from the stangs, he was prolly one of the better I've seen. Had a lot of potential.

Hemi

His name is Troy Riddle and he is another one of those "team" players. He started as the QB for the Scorpions in 2003 and 2004. After the 2004 season he claimed to be retiring but he is currently the starting QB with the Scorpions again.
Troy has always had good arm strength and a good knowledge of the offensive side of the ball. When he is given the opportunity to work on reading defenses in practice he can be very accurate at game time.
Troy is a baller and trys to make something happen ever play he can. Get him some quality practice reading defenses and work with him on getting his feet set before throwing a ball and he is at a minimum the best QB in the MFL.
I always stood behind Troy as the QB of Scorpions even when he wasn't so sure it was a good idea. I have the up most respect for him and admire him for his heart and talent as a player.

Troy Riddle= CLASS

And he's a better LB than he is a QB!!!

Hemi,

Troy Riddle has played a great season for the Scorps!!! He is an asset on and off the field. Troy has done alot for the Scorpions organization, and we appreciate his efforts.

To the concerned Scorpions Fan,

Richard #80 is a Scorpion. He is part of the fold, and he is committed to the cause. He is a very good player. He has the potential to be an oustanding player if he commits himself totally mentally and physically. He has been invited to a NFL Europe combine I believe in Nov, and the Scorpions organization wish him the best. The invitation does not mean he is oustanding or the best, but I do believe it does show that he has some skills for the game. If you have any future concerns, please feel free to talk with me before or after a game. I very much appreciate your concerns for the team.

Thanks,

Scorpions #69

PS Showtime is an oustanding player as well, and he can talk more trash than anyone I know, lol.

If he has been invited you have to tell them you cant cry and complain all the time like he does at every game about how great he is and how he should always have the ball and how he is 90% of the team offense and defense. I have been to 4 games this year and he is still crying about every play he is not involved in. Cant wait till next year when the new team is formed and shut him up.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in:

Troy is a baller, and a baller for sure. He's one of those guys that never seems to be in the right position- but always has a big impact. The Scorps are rising in defense because they quite rightly know that they would not be in this thing without him.

Having said that, this is nothing new in the MFL or in any of these other leagues.

Supa,

You are correct on that call as well, lol.

Bulldog player,

Thanks for coming to the games. The Wildcats game should be another good game to watch. It will be another hard hitting game. Richard is just being Richard. He doesn't mean anything by it. That is just how he is wired. I told the Scorps at the beginning of the season that 'we do not have to like each other, but we do have to accept each other.' I appreciate all Scorps for doing that this season. Sometimes that got to be more difficult than I wish it would have been, but we stuck together!!!!!!!

My 2 cents,

Matt Hansel
Scorpions #69