Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JeanCats Special Find for AIMEE

Dear AIMEE,

PER YOUR REQUEST:

I said I would get back to you. I have not forgotten you. I know how busy you are so I thought a special note (thread) to you instead of part of the JeanCat FIND Thread, would help you to find this find! :)

In JeanCats Finds thread #1, which is not numbered, you asked me what "Kitchen Bouquet" is. Well my mom, known to many as "MAMA" and "Mama Rose" and to some as "Mama Rosa" is 92, will be 93 in May. She has used this for YEARS! and before her... her mother used it for years. Her mother was born in Italy, but when she came here to America, she 'found' the product. I am second generation Italo-American. Mama Rosa is first generation.

Any way this product is NOT Italian! It is 100% American!

It is generically a Browning & Seasoning Sauce. It used to come in a glass amber bottle. NOW it comes in a plastic brown/amber bottle of 4 ounces with a brigt YELLOW label with brown and red writing on it. Sorry I do not know the price! You might get it larger in Smart N Final for resturant size.

Mom ALWAYS used it in stews and gravies. She makes (er... made - does not do much cooking any more, lives with my sister about 2 hrs away from me) the BEST LAMB stew. Too bad I was too busy setting the table and doing homework to pay attention.

Anyway, Here is what it has in it:
1 tsp = 24 cals.
Use 3 tsp for each 2 cups of hot stock or water. I mention this so you can see about how much product and how many points you might need in a given recipe that I JUST KNOW you have going on in your head already! :) :)

If you like a light milk gravy, you would not need this agent. But if you like a good old fashioned brown gravy this is the trick!

Ingredients:
Carmel Vegetable Base of carrots, onions, celery, parsnips turnips, salt, parsley, spices,sodium benzoate as a perservative.
HOWEVER the sodium is ONLY 10 mg per tsp (note NOT grams, but only mg! VERY VERY LOW)
0 Fat
Sugar = 2 grams from the veggies
Protein = 0

Back in the day of early microwavingn everyone wanted things to brown. This was/is used to brush on a roast or chops etc to add brown color or a roasted color appearance. It is still is used by some of us today :)

So MY JEAN CATS FIND is to ADD this browning sauce to ground turkey or chicken WHEN I am substituting the meat for beef to save fat calories or points.

Many young people today are so used to light color of turkey or chicken, they may not use this or need it, but some of the oldies ( I am 52, I don't feel old, but by comparison lets get real: I AM OLD! okay OLDER...) NEED to have our meat darker in color to make it more appealing and appetizing.

This is WHY I put it in my beef stroganoff when really using ground Turkey. I don't use ground chicken.

Also I should tell you that I usually only use ground turkey breast, white meat and rarely dark turkey meat, due to LESS fat content. And it just NEEDS color!

I will be giving YOU a VERY Special recipe with this in the future. Probably in Thread 4! So stay tuned!

Hope this helps, and I look forward to NEW AIMEE RECIPES USING KB (Kitchen Bouquet) that YOU INVENT! And when I see them n line and in print I will be very proud that I gave Aimee a 'Find'! Hee!

Love and Respect,

JeanCat

Re: JeanCats Special Find for AIMEE

Yum Yum! That sounds good! Wow, I didn't expect such a thorough explanation. :) You couldn't have done a better job. I'll have to look for it the next time I go to the store. What part of the store do you usually find it in? The spice aisle? or maybe where the gravy mixes are? Thanks so much!!! You're awesome!

Re: JeanCats Special Find for AIMEE

PS, thanks for making a separate thread for me. There are a lot of days where I don't get time to go through all of the messages here and today is one of those days. I have a whole "to do" list to get through for my site today. :( I'm hoping to take a look at what everyone posted tomorrow and see what new things you've found for us. :) Thanks!

Re: Re: JeanCats Special Find for AIMEE

Well in some stores it is with the gravy, others in with the spices. Some by the catsup/ketchup - figure that oneout.
But I think if you were to ASK one of the store stocking clerks that they would know.

Now recently I found another brand that is an Asian brand, but the sodium was much higher and I figured it was not broken so don't fix it! :)

I had read someone answer a post to you who said you were busy, and I interpreted that to mean with the rest of the board and recipes uploading etc... Since I own and operate my own boards for pharm tech I KNOW how much work that takes. So I felt it best for you.

Thanks for your displayed appreciation!
JeanCat

Awesome starts with an "A" like AIMEE! YOU'RE AWESOME!

Re: Re: JeanCats Special Find for AIMEE

Dear AIMEE,

I had read someone answer a post to you, who said you were busy, and I interpreted that to mean with the rest of the board and recipes, uploading etc... Since I own and operate my own boards for pharm tech I KNOW how much work that takes. So I felt it best for you.

Glad you appreciated it.

JeanCat