Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why do we gain the weight back?

Hey girls, I have a (stupid) question, but one that perplexes me: I've been at my goal weight for about 4 years. Of course, depending on the time of year (or time of month ) my weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs. When my weight is up I tend to go into panic-mode, feeling as though a 2-lb weight gain on my goal weight will magically tranform into all the lbs I'd lost overnight. And I think this inspite of all the changes I've made to my lifestyle! So here's my question: why do we gain the weight back? Why does it seem that if we have a goal of 50 lbs but only lose 30 lbs, then we are somehow doomed to regain that 30 lbs because it wasn't the full 50?? Hope this makes sense.... Thanks!

Re: Why do we gain the weight back?

Hi Mandee,
Honestly I have no idea. That's probably a question most of us should ask the psychologists because I'm sure it has to do with how we view things mentally. LOL! Maybe we have something built into our brains that trigger self sabotage if we don't make it to where we said we were going to go (at all, or in a fashionable time period). Maybe someone else has pondered on this question even longer than I have and can answer it better. :) Do we have any psychologists lurking? LOL!

BTW, congrats on being at goal for 4 years. The panic you feel when you gain 2 pounds is probably what has helped keep you at your goal. A lot of people get to goal, stay there for a few months (if they're lucky) and then start going back to their old habits little by little until one day they say "man what happened?". At least you're keeping it in check. That's awesome!

That was me, hit goal several times and I stopped doing WW all together, and bingo there it was one day back facing me in the mirror. and the words were
"OH man, look what I did again" sound familiar???

This time around I'm sticking to it, and as long as I check in to this site daily, and go weekly to WW, I know I can keep a handle on it...

good for you keeping at goal for 4 yrs I never made it that long, but this time I will...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I do admit that I haven't gone a single day in 5 years without journaling. My rationale is whether or not I choose to write down my points doesn't change the fact that I ate them. Sometimes that's hard though- especially the other night when I had to put down 20 (!!!) points for B&J ice cream

I just went back to journaling after not doing so for 6 months. I noticed little "old habits" comming back that if I journal the munching. I'll think twice before I put it in my mouth. I will journaling my food for the rest of my life I think. I find it helps me alot. I Lost 160 pounds twice. I never ever want to do that again. =)

For me, I kept trivalizing my weight gain. I hit goal in 2000 after losing about 70 lbs. I maintained for one year by going to meetings and journaling. Then my leader quit and I decided I didn't need to find a new one cuz obviously after one year, I totally knew how to keep the weight off. I quickly popped up from a size 6 to 8 and didn't mind that. Then I hit a size 10 and figured that a 10 wasn't so bad. Then a 12, and I reasoned I was still one size below the "average" woman. Then at 14 I reasoned I was still an "average" sized woman. Then at 16 I got depressed that I was that size again. At 18 I was just angry that I had to lose weight all over again. At size 20 I couldn't deny anything any more and returned to WW. I'm currently 57 lbs down with another 13 to go. This time I intend to attend my meetings indefinitely. I need someone checking over my shoulder and seeing how I'm doing. If no one else is watching, then I start eating again...

Martha
You are so me, or I'm so you!!!!

I cant count how many times I've done this over and over again, and I have to agree with you 100% this time around I can not stop going to meetings weekly.
I'm so glad I made up my mind back in Oct to get back to WW, and I had to have a mind set before I walked back in the doors to the scale.

I have such a miniscul amount to go, 6 oz's and its goal, and this time I vowed to myself that no matter what I'm going weekly, because I also need that someone to watch over me, and I have to be accountable to get to WW every week, and just keep going... I stop I gain.. I go I lose, sounds simple doesn't it...

Last nite I was out with about 8 women from another group I'm involved in, well, as they sat eating a good looking cheese cake, I had no tempatation as I sat and had a banana...and a few slugs off a bottle of water...

This morning I can reflect and not beat myself up cause I indulged. I stayed on program...

Ditto a million times ditto!
JeanCat