Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Stopping

This is an article that was in my inbox this morning from Sparkpeople. It's written by an olympic marathoner, but I thought it was interesting....

Hitting The Big Wall - How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Stopping
-- By Julie Isphording

Just about everyone has heard of the "Wall," as in "hitting the wall." And lots of us - in running and in life - have run straight into it. Head on.

A wall is the point in a race (or in life) where you're used up. You're officially done. You feel as if you are draining away into a little puddle on the ground. Your legs don't respond to the word "go." You vow never to do this again.

Although I hope you never have a wall get between you and a goal, here are some tricks I've learned from running that can help you get over your own wall when it's in the way:

Keep going regardless
Promise yourself that, no matter what, you will press on, even if you are walking, crawling, or puttering. In the Boston Marathon in 1993, I was running so slowly to the finish that I felt like I was actually going backwards. Stay on your feet. Eyes straight ahead. Move.

Don't think
Just go. Do not dwell on how overwhelmingly awful you feel. Focus on the cheering crowds, your friends and family waiting at the finish, the cool water, the trees... anything.

Try bribery
Tell yourself, "Self, when I get done with this, I'm going to buy you a new car, a new house, whatever you want."

Word-watch
Watch the negative words and thoughts. Think instead about all the successes you have had. How about all those hills you conquered? All those long workouts you endured? You are a great person. Relish those thoughts.

Negotiate with yourself
Give yourself permission to simply go to the next water stop, or to the next milestone, or even just the end of the day. Keep repeating that strategy until you see the finish line. Just one more mile before you say one more mile!

If it was easy, everyone could do it. You are the one who will make it. And don't forget the finish line pose!

Re: How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Stopping

That feeling or thought sometimes runs through my head, about stopping..
In fact I had it last nite, I was out with a friend to a meeting a 12 step program that I'm involved in, and it was a dinner, I thought oh well, I've done this long enough I'm just about at goal, I;m quitting, then I saw a very heavy lady, standing in the food line, and I was able to bring myself back into reality and say to self "SElf you've worked to hard to get where you are, don't quit"

See I quit very well, things bore me easy, and then I'm looking for the next thing.
I vowed this trip around to WW that I was going to succeed, get to goal and stay there.

Aimee thanks for this lil reminder...

I'm so glad you didn't give in. You're so close to your goal. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I do take you all seriously! But I have to share that my biggest problem is how do I STOP (eating) when I feel like GOING (eating)!

Controling the urges to overeat are a big obstacle for me. I can see that a plateau for a very long time would drive one nuts or to the nuts! But I am very glad that you have THIS site to come to for INSIGHT.

Love
JeanCat

What a neat article! I plan to post it where I can read it frequently.

I too really needed to hear what this article said. Jeancat, I really identified with your words about the agonies of stopping eating and how hard it can be to shift away from destructive eating patterns. It seems that once I make that shift, forward momentum of the journey carries me on for a while, and then there's a relapse and the agonies that you describe haunt me too during those times. The article and all the support that you all give each other here really helps as does keeping our struggles out in the open where they can see the light of day and all this encouragment that can make all the difference in the world. Maajida