Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EMPTY CALORIES

OK...SOMEONE EDUCATE ME PLZ...WHAT ARE EMPTY CALORIES AND WHAT FOOD DO U SUGGEST THAT IS NOT EMPTY CALORIES....AIMEE I READ UR BLOG..AND THE DAY THAT U HAD WHERE U JUST GRABBED FOR SNACK FOOD...I DID THAT MYSELF SATURDAY...I WANTED TO EAT EVERYTHIN IN SIGHT MAINLY JUNK..I JUST WANTED TO INDULGE FOR THE MOST PART...AND I WAS AGREVATED AT MYSELF AFTERWARDS...SO TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN..AND IF DIDNT LOSE ANY OR IF I GAINED..I CANT COMPLAIN CAUSE I DID IT TO MYSELF...JUST ONE OF THEM DAYS...AND LORD AT WORK IT HAS BEEN SO HARD..I TAKE CARE OF A WOMAN...AND HER HUBBY WENT TO THE MINANITE SALE AND BOUGHT A BUNCH OF PIES HOMEMADE....SO I AM HAVING A TOUGH TIME RESISTIN..IVE DONE OK I GUESS..I HAD A LIL PIECE OF HOMEMADE ANGEL FOOD CAKE TODAY I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO COUNT IT CAUSE THEY DID NOT PUT NO NUTRITION FACTS ON THERE...IT WASNT TO SWEET SO I HOPE IT WASNT THAT MUCH...BUT ANYHOW..ILL LET YA KNOW WHAT MY WEIGH IN BRINGS TOMORROW.....

Re: EMPTY CALORIES

Empty calories are those nasty bugger foods that have tons of sugars and fat but little of the healthy nutrients that we need to survive.

Take for example french fries. They have a ton of calories (600ish depending on size), but they don't have any vitamins, whole grains, fiber, or protein. They don't really help your body function. Regular soda is the same, 180 calories for one little can, but nothing good to speak of.

You should be eating to fill your daily requirements of those nutrients, not just to put calories in your body.

Look for foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals (fruits, veggies, whole grain/fiber rich breads). Lean cuts of meat help you satisfy your protein requirements, and low-fat or fat free dairy helps with the calcium.

Since you're eating lower calorie you need the most nutrient rich foods possible to meet your daily requirements. Also, I've always heard that sometimes the reason we crave foods is for the nutrients in them. Do you really want a slice of cheese pizza or is your body just asking for some calcium? Perhaps if you are getting those needs met, your body won't ask for junk to fill it.

Keep going nae! You can do this.

Alcohol is also considered to be a HUGE empty calorie source......

Foods described as 'empty-calorie' contain a very low nutrient/calorie ratio. Meaning, they have very few nutrients like vitamins and minerals when compared to their calorie level.

Empty calorie foods are NOT a good option when following a calorie-controlled weight loss diet. The fewer the calories, the more important it is to eat nutrient-dense foods.

Good examples of empty-calorie foods are sweets and regular soft drinks - both are high in calories (high sugar content) but almost devoid of nutrients.

Examples of foods containing mostly Empty Calories

* French fries, fried chicken, chips and all other deep-fried foods
A large order of fries from a fast food chain can contain up to 570 kcal with a whopping 30 g of total fat and 8 g of trans fat! Tons of calories from fat but little micro-nutrients.
* Candy, pop and other sweetened packaged foods
A can of pop provides ~130 kcal as well as additives and colorings. Again lots of calories from sugar but no micro-nutrients.
* Beer, wine and all other alcoholic beverages
A can of beer provides ~150 kcal from sugar and not much anything else. In addition, calories from alcohol tend to be stored as fat in the abdomen.
* Refined grains such as crackers, cookies, white rice and white bread
Refined grains do provide some B vitamins, however that's it.