Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiber One

Hello again!

In my recipe for the cheesecake you'll notice that I used Fiber One for my crust. I got the idea from Hungry Girl. They use that stuff in place of bread crumbs and all kinds of stuff. Anyway, it really does make a great pie crust and best of all it adds a huge punch of fiber which in many cases can lower your points value on different things!
I just wanted to share this incase you've never heard of this before. I was so excited to find out the many uses of this stuff! Imagine all of the pies you could make and fake out your family and friends!

Re: Fiber One

I have 2 boxes of Fiber One, i just seen them in my closet. They are wayyyyyyyy in the back so i should check em for any little thingee's that may have wandered in. LOL, but come to think of it, how could i tell?

Thanks for the "Pie crust" mention

Hello Tammy, I too love Fiber One..but never thought to use it for a pie or cheesecake crust. In your cheesecake recipe, how many slices is it cut into and do you know what the caloric value per piece would be? Thanks so much, maajida

I'm sorry I guess I forgot to mention that the cheesecake is cut into 8 servings. I am sorry but I am not sure about the calorie/fat content because I just entered everything into the weight watchers recipe builder to find out what the points are. Sorry!
I am thinking about purchasing Mastercook for this reason. Any comments about the Mastercook program??

I use Mastercook to figure all of my recipes. It takes a little getting use to, but I couldn't imagine not having it now. Sometimes you have to watch how you enter the measurements for ingredients. Like if you're using canned beans, you have to make sure you say canned or it will assume you're using dry beans. For chicken you have to choose the RTC (ready to cook) if it's raw. I've found cereals have to be entered in as grams and not cups or ounces. Stuff like that. Like I said though, once you get use to it, it's great. It doesn't come with a lot of low fat stuff, or stuff we're use to using like Boca, sugar free pudding, etc. You have to enter all of that in yourself. I spent about a month just building up the ingredients list when I got my program. I pretty much have everything in it now, but occasionally I have to enter something in if it's something I've never used before. :)

I've seen some of the recipes that Hungry Girl uses the fiber one in as a crust. I was just wondering, does it taste funny at all (you know, kinda wheaty like Fiber One tastes) when you're eating the pie, or can't you really tell? I've been wanting to try a pie crust made like that, but haven't gotten around to it.

I also sprinkle some fiber one on salad to give it a crunch beats using croutons...

From Hungry-girl site:
**EXCLUSIVE HG RECIPE FROM TANYA!

Fiber-licious Bean Dip
(*1/4th recipe without garnish or cheese: Approx. 110 - 120 calories, 0.5g fat, 935mg sodium, 31g carbs, 13g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 6g protein = 1 - 2 Points)

Although beans are naturally a good source of fiber, adding Fiber One cereal to this dip gives it an extra fiber boost. No one will ever guess that there is cereal in this creamy dip! This is delicious served with baked tortilla chips and cut-up veggies.

Ingredients:

1 15-oz. can of black beans

1 cup Fiber One cereal

1 cup salsa

2 garlic cloves; chopped

1⁄4 tsp. each salt, cumin, chili powder

1 tbsp. fresh cilantro

Garnish: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions and tomato

Optional: 1⁄2 cup fat-free shredded cheese

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until well mixed; if you prefer the bean dip cheesy, add shredded cheese to the mixture once it’s blended. Place the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 2 minutes, or until hot. Serves 4!

HG’s Strawberry Cloud Pie

(1 piece: 85 calories, 3g fat, 158mg sodium, 17g carbs, 7g fiber, 1.5g sugars, 2g protein = 1 Point!)

First it was a frozen drink, now it’s a super-creamy pie-tastic yumfest! (Pssst...try this one out with other Jell-O Sugar Free flavors, too. Weeeee!)

Ingredients:

2 cups Fiber One cereal

4 tbsp. LAND O LAKES Whipped Light Butter; melted

1 large box (or 2 small) JELL-O Sugar Free Gelatin Dessert mix; Strawberry

1 1/2 cups Cool Whip Free

*Optional: sliced strawberries for garnish

Directions:

Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees. In a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Combine crumbs with melted butter and stir until well mixed. In an oven-safe pie dish sprayed with nonstick spray, evenly distribute Fiber One mixture, using your hands or a flat utensil to press & form the crust. Use your fingers to press it into the edges and up along the sides of the dish. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes. Set aside. In a separate dish, dissolve gelatin mix into 2 cups boiling water. Stir for 2 minutes, or until completely dissolved. Stir in 1 cup of cold water, and place in fridge for about 1 1/2 hours, but NO LONGER (Jell-O should be jiggly, but not firm). Next, use a mixer to fold in Cool Whip. Once mixture is very well blended, pour evenly into pie crust. Use a flat utensil to smooth out surface. Refrigerate for several hours until firm. If desired, garnish pie with sliced strawberries. Serves 8.

Pumpkin Crunchers

(2 Crunchers: approx. 60 calories, <1g fat, 60mg sodium, 14g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g sugars, 1g protein = 1/2 Point)

Pumpkin, crunch and cream all in one bite...Mmmmmmm!

Ingredients:

7.5 oz. pure pumpkin (1/2 of a 15 oz. can)

1/2 container Cool Whip Free

2 Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding Snacks; Vanilla

3/4 cup Fiber One cereal

Cinnamon; to taste

Directions:

Combine pumpkin, Cool Whip and Jell-O in a bowl. Stir in Fiber One. Spoon into nonstick mini muffin tins and freeze. Makes 15 yummy "nuggets."

Akus, have you tried any of these recipes? I'm just wondering what they taste like. :)

Aimee,

I honestly couldn't say if it tastes weird or not vs. a graham crust because I honestly like the whole grain/whole wheat variety of everything more than their refined counterparts. So with that said I may not be a good one to judge that for you. I think there is a slight difference between the graham and the fiber one, but overall it is very good. I guess you could judge it this way, every single one of my 3 boys pigged out on this cheesecake that I made, crust and all!

**note about the crust, I think that the next time I make this I will use 2 egg whites instead of one. While the crust was very good, it was a bit too crumbly.

***Also, fiber one is also used in place of bread crumbs in many recipes. Just blend it up and season it with your favorite seasonings just like you would your breadcrumbs. I haven't tried this just yet but I plan to do so soon.

I just opened a new box of fiber one dessert tonite 1 cup, with a container of wW yogart...

I never read a ceral box but tonite I did,

Here a website to get 1.00 off on product including a box of fiber one or fiber one clusters, coupons also good for yoplait yogart if you use it, and frozen veggies. cherrios, total, raisin bran, progresso soups and a few others, I just printed them out, as the only one i use is the fiber one cereal

www.eatbetteramerica.com/healthycoupons

No, Aimee i have not tried them. I only used Fiber One in the haystacks.

A friend raved about the ,Fiber One Chewy Bars - Oats and Chocolate. But she was complaining today about "gas" and i mean lots of gas. She said her son has the same problem and she wondered if it was these bars. So i did some research on it and Yep, these things give You major gas, there is 9 grams of fiber per bar, but the main ingredient is chicory root.Personally i didnt think they were that good, left a funny after taste and was to sweet for me

Word of warning, not something to eat when you will be around alot of people

I am so delighted to see all these recipes using Fiber One...I've loved it for years...my fav thing to do with it is to mix a cup of it, with 8 tbsp. fat free cool whip and a half cup of fresh berries...kind of tastes like a creamy but crunchy berry cobbler. Never have had any gas problems with the Fiber One...but don't eat more than one cup of it at a time. This site is just so great. And thanks to those of you who mentioned calorie counts as well as point counts in your recipes. Have a wonderful weekend everyone...I am hanging in there right on track with healthy eating and exercise, slowly but hopefully surely, bounding back from a time of struggle. Maajida

A couple weeks ago I tried Hungry Girl's Strawberry Cloud Pie recipe listed above. It was terrible. Really terrible. The Fiber 1 crust was awful. I pulverized it in my food processor to breadcrumb like consistency, but there were still some chunky pieces in it. And it tasted like dog food. I didn't even like the strawberry stuff. My husband likes anything that is sweet so I thought maybe he'd eat it, but he took a few bites and said no way. So I threw the rest of it out into the garbage. I am however, a HUGE fan of the Fiber One bars. It's not unusual for me to eat 2 per day. I never have gas problems. But I eat a lot of fruits and veggies so perhaps my body is already used to a lot of fiber.

I agree with You Martha, i didnt react after eating them as my friend did. I think because i am use to fiber/roughfage, the bar had litle affect on me.
I read at different sites about the ppl who ate them and had problems.

I didnt care for them for me to buy them again.