Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Good morning everyone!

A few months ago I had a couple packages of a 'vegetarian sloppy joe' and really liked it. I was unable, however, to get anymore of it. So, searching the grocery store I found this Fantastic Brand Joe mix. I never got around to trying it, but plan on making it for lunch today.

When prepared by the box instructions, this baby would only be 1 point per serving. Add in a couple of pieces of lite bread, or a Healthy Life WW Bun, the little sandwich should be 2 points total. That sounds great to me. But, looking further, on the back is a more 'deluxe' prep method they call Mama's Sloppy Joes. Well, I'm a Mama, , so I think I'll give that a whirl today. Even with the additions, a serving is only a little over 2 points, or just over 3 points with the lite bun. Throw in a fabulous garden salad, and, I ask you, just what more could a person want??

I hope this will be as YUMMY as the veg joe I had before, but, I'll see.

I have a question though. Has anyone here ever tried this brand? And if so, what do YOU think of it? I also freeze, immediately, the excess of any recipe like this I make for myself. I want it put away and out of my sight, BEFORE I take that first bite. It's a kind of signal to my feeble wittle brain, that ONE serving is all I get, no matter how much I like something. If any of you ladies have used this before, do you think it will freeze well? I'm gonna freeze the remainder, no matter what. I'd rather ruin it in the freezing process than put it on my backside, .

I hope you all have a wonderful, success FILLED day!

pattyjo

JeanCats Recipe for Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Dear Patty Jo,

I am a bit confused : Are yo saying that Fantastic Sloppy Joe Mix IS vegetarian OR that it is something you bought until you can find the vegetarian one again?

I have made my own Sloppy Joes from the Veggie Brand that makes the crumbles and the pepperoni . You can purchase it in any Kroger, Ralphs or organic or Trader Joes stores.

I have been planning on posting it in my Finds! But again you beat me to it. I will post it here because you asked, but I will also place it in my finds next week. I'll be more precise with my ingredient and points then, as I am not at home with the packages right now.

Here goes, you play with the ingredients to suit your taste. I like a more Italian Sloppy Joe flavor.

JeanCats Sloppy Joe Recipe
Your Favorite Sloppy Joe Dry Mix
1/2 can of Tomato Paste
1 tsp of dried onion flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp of Garlic & Herb (McCormick's is best and is optional)
1 Tbsp hot/warm water or up to 4 depending upon how thick you like your Sloppy Joe sauce (can substitute tomato sauce if you prefer)
Veggie Crumbles: 1/2 container

Mix the first 4 ingredients well.
Add crumbles.
Heat in saucepan or in microwave until hot.
Pour a portion on top of bun, top with bun and serve.

I am at work and do not have the points in front of me or the package of crumbles to give you the exact wt of the crumble mixture. But I would estimate about 1 to 2 points per serving/portion. I believe this makes 4 small servings or two large servings.

JeanCats Alternative DELUXE Sloppy Joe Mix

8 - 16 sun dried re-hydrated tomatoes cut into quarters or halves (optional)
1 tsp olive oil (optional)
1/4 chopped fresh onion
1 clove garlic minced
1//2 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
1 pkg of Sloppy Joe Mix (dry)
1 can of stewed or diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1 can tomato paste
Veggie Crumbles (your favorite brand, equal to 1/2 pound of ground crumbles or 1 pound depending upon quantity of meat that the sloppy joe mix directions calls for)
Optional: your favorite cheese melted on top count and adjust points accordingly. Suggestions: parmasean, FF cheddar, Soy Veggie Provalone or Swiss Slices.

Directions:
Rehydrate tomatoes per package instructions, drain and set aside.
Saute onion,garlic and mushrooms together until onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes.
Mix in a separate bowl:
Sloppy Joe Mix, parsley, Italian seasoning, reserved tomato juice/liquid and tomato paste. Mix well.
Add to the onion/mushroom mixture. Add the Veggie crumbles. Heat to a bubble. Lower heat immediately to simmer. Let simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour individual servings on top of each bun, top with cheese if desired. Alternatively keep in pan, shut off heat top with cheese, cover and allow to melt. Scoop out each portion without disturbing the melted cheese, onto each bun. cover with bun immediately to 'seal' the melted cheese.

About 2-3 points per serving (not including bun or cheese). You need to count it exactly. I will do this when I get home.

Makes about 4 servings.

Hope this helps!
Enjoy!

JeanCat

Re: Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Hi JeanCat,

Thank you so much for those recipes, they look really good, and I've already copied them to my recipe folder.

I'm sorry if I wasn't as clear as I meant to be about the Fantastic Brand Veg Sloppy Joe Mix. I am not a vegetarian, but do make many choices that are more veg than animal based, lol. One reason, is that I've had severe psoriasis for years. Done all the otc topicals, done the script stuff, even have taken injections. I am currently on bi-monthly injections of Humira for my arthritis, which is SUPPOSED to help the skin as well, but not so much in my case. I ramble on, sorry.

What I'm saying is that, over the years I've noticed that when my diet is healthy and balanced but heavily plant based, my severe psoriasis lessens tremendously, and then it clears up to the point I can go sleeveless! I've read some articles justify my conclusion that it's limiting the meats etc in my diet that causes this....well, almost this cure. I have noticed in the past, that when I abandon my good intentions and go back to my 'old ways', the psoriasis flares back up, just as bad as ever, in a very short period of time.

So, that's the background in my interest in the veg products. The other diet plan I was recently on had an absolutely delish veg sloppy joe, which they discontinued, natch, right after I joined. I wanted to find something similar that would taste as good. I found the one I'm speaking of here, but never got around to trying it. I don't know how big the company who makes the stuff is. I see them all over my part of the country, NW Indiana...basically Chicago-land.

I tried it today, btw. It IS excellent, and looks like I should be able to freeze it. The only change I made was in upping the spice, using splenda instead of sugar, and using PAM to cook the onions instead of oil. A really nice change of pace for me. I really like variety. I just don't want to eat the SAME sammy 5 time in the next week. Thus, I freeze stuff. After a while I get a really nice assortment of yummy, tried and true things, there and ready for me in the freezer.

BTW, I doooo eat meat. I eat extra lean hamburger, chick breast, turkey, lean pork and ham, I just eat a whole bunch less than I did in the past.

cheers everyone

pattyjo

Re: Re: Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

WOW! Patty Jo! You sound JUST like me! I too eat only lean cuts and am not a vegetarian but have been eating more soy products in place of meat. I have a problem getting in veggies especially green ones, but I am learning.

Glad to know your Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joe mix is good. Is it in the frige section? At TJ's or regular or health food store?

Let me know if you try my recipes which CAN be used in or with lean ground turkey, beef, or chicken.

JeanCat

Re: Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Hey Jean Cat!

I was just getting ready to climb into bed and thought I check the board ONE more time.

I too, am eating more and more soy products. I'm really getting used to them and actually like the flavor now. Funny, I remember eating burgers that had soy filler in them in the past, and thinking how NASTY they tasted, lol. Well, we change, and hopefully for the better!

This is a brand of supposedly more healthy, more 'natural' food. The brand's products are usually featured separately, but in the same aisles as the 'regular' food, lol. I find it at my main store here in NW Indiana, Town and Country. I think I've noticed it in WalMart as well, but I could be wrong there. The Sloppy Joe mix is dry and fluffy, doesn't really look like much when you open it, but it cooked up just beautifully. Just right, not soupy OR too dry. A really good alternative to the 'real' thing. Not exactly the same taste, of course, but good.

Since I had had the box sitting in my pantry so long, I was just curious if anyone else had heard of it or tried it. Probably lots of similar type product lines out there in different parts of the country. I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised by how good some of these foods really taste. Too many people are afraid to leave their 'comfort zone' foods to try new things. I used to be one of those, lol.

See you around tomorrow, I hope Jean Cat!

pattyjo

Re: Re: Fantastic Brand Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Dear PattyJO,
Sorry for the late response! I did not see this!
Thanks for the info.
Yes I found myself thinking the same about soy way back when. I am eating more core foods but counting them as flex as I eat many flex foods as well. But this is a much healthier way of eating. And I too am finding that I don't miss it and do enjoy it.
So recently TJ Tofu Teriyaki (I think 2 pts), TJ Tofu burger (4pts).

See ya in the posts!
JeanCat