Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JeanCat's Mom

Dear All,

I thought I would update you. Mom was 'kicked'out of the nursing home and was supposed to leave on Saturday much to our non-approval for various and numerous reasons. Mainly she is not re-habilitated and can not get out of bed without assistance, has constant diarrhea.

Any way a social worker told my sister how to appeal it. So last Thursday the appeal process began. This bought a bit more time. On Sunday they called to tell us that she lost the appeal and had to go home by Wed morning. But on Saturday I found that my mom's right foot was very very swollen. Fearing a clot or DVT or suspecting gout I told my sister and the man on the phone on Sunday that she needed to have an assessment of this condition.

Monday they took an xray of the foot that showed no fracture. They sent samples of urine and blood to the lab. We are waiting results. Ever since she has been there she has had a high beef diet. So I suspect gout.
By law fromthe time the last informng of a loss of appeal she must be allowed to stay 2 more days to allow the family or the patient time to make arrangements.

So I have not spoken to my sister yet, so I do not know the outcome if any today. I CAN tell you that my 92 yr old mom will be 93 on Sunday May 6, 07 God willing! I can say she has all of her wits and marbles and loves to play canasta a card game and that is how I spend my time with her. But I do not get to see her often due to my work hours and the fact that she is 1.5 to 2.5 hours away in Riverside, Ca (depends upon traffic).

I know I promised an update and a really good JeanCat Thread. I did the thread two weeks ago with the videos and this week the update.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. I really do not know what I would have done without this board during the last 4 weeks. Her heart attack was exactly one month ago April 2, 04.

Love, appreciation and prayers to all of you,

JeanCat

Re: JeanCat's Mom

I'm still keeping you and your mom in my daily prayers

Hoping for the best....
Happy 93rd to Jeans Mom...

Jeancat, I am also keeping you in my prayers....I am also in Calif. and also am dealing with devastating issues with aging parents...dad, 95, and mom 87. I too love to spend time with my folks playing cards (gin rummy). Hang in there with everything and don't forget to take good care of yourself in the process. Sincerely, Maajida

Keeping you & your mom in my thoughts & prayers..

((((((((hugs))))))))))

Don't worry about us JeanCat, I too hope everything works out for your mom and I'll be keeping you both in my prayers.

Jean- I am sorry to hear about your mom :(. Stress is the one thing that makes me eat, so stick to the program. :) lol

Everything will work out, God will take care of it:)

If you need to talk, we are here

<3 Brandie

JeanCat,
Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear that you and your family are being put through so much with trying to help your mom so that she can get what she needs in the way of care. Everything will work out though. I'll pray for your mom and you and your family. I know this can't be easy. But praise and thanksgiving that your Mom will be 93 on Sunday!!! Please tell her that we send our best and happy birthday! Also, I love the game canasta. My grandma taught me how to play and she and I used to play all of the time. She doesn't feel up to playing much these days and she's about 15+ years younger than your mom, so it is great to know that there are older people out there still living life and having some fun. My grandmother sleeps all of the time which drives me and my family crazy. It's like she is sleeping her life away. I wish I lived closer to her 'cause that would not be the case. I live about 4.5 hours from her know and the rest of the family lives about 1.5 hours from her so it's hard for them to spend much time with her too.
Anyway, hugs to you and your mom!
Tammy

Hang in there, JeanCat, and don't ever be ashamed to be an advocate for your Mom. If you and your family don't look out for her best interests, no one else will. i hope she has a blessed 93rd Birthday! LouAnne

Hope everything turns out ok for your mom and your family..Tell her we all send a very big Happy Birthday to her..

Patty

Re: Re: JeanCat's Mom

Dear Tobe,

If they let me in the Rn home with my lap top I will show her this! :)

Thank you!
Any ideas of what to get this woman??? She needs and wants nothing! Yet I can not let this BIG event go by with out much ta'do! Got ideas?

Dear Maajida,
I thought I had read that you were in California. I kept watching for your photo and location but never see/saw it. So are you in north or south? I am in a small city near Buena Park near Disneyland. You?

Any way thank you for your kind words. Sorry to hear you are experiencing the down side of the aging process of your parents, as I am. my father passed away April 30,2004 he was 87 at that time mom was 90.
I miss him very much and know it has been so hard on my mom.

One thing that is different is that I am stayingon my program foods, not binging which is a huge difference than when my father was ill and other stressful times in my life. But it is a struggle every day and is not second nature but sometingI have to constantly think about!

Thank you for yoru prayers,
Love JeanCat

Thank you so very much Linda!

I can not believe how loving and warm the people on this site are. It continues to amaze me no end. I appreciate your support.

Love
JeanCat

Thank you Aimee! Means so much to me.
It is this board that has helped me to stay 'sane' when it comes to food when under this specific stress. Feeling needed or purposeful keeps me from feeling self-pity. That can get me binging. So while I do not have to worry about the site, I am drawn to it for escape, purpose desire and necessity. A LIFELINE you may say!
Thank you Aimee, more than I can ever express.....

Love JeanCat

Thank you Brandie!

I love and thank you for your wisdom!
It is inevitable that my mom with be with God. The time table is the only question. And that is how God will work it out. And when that time comes I know that I WILL need this board and you all more than I can imagine right now.

Thank yo so very much!
JeanCat

Dearest Tammy,

With our so many likes in food and now this in Canasta! We just have to play a game some day! I learned when I was five they say! I began playing with my mom. She has taught each of my nephews and nieces when they were about 8 or so. It is her only fun in the hospital. She looks forward to my longer weekend visits.

I teach pharmacology and I can tell you that your grandma may not be able to help herself from sleeping so much if she is on certain medications for the heart or hypertension. This is very very common with older ill pts/people.

Enjoy what little time you have to spend with her. And know each time you are there together that it may be your last so make the most of it. May I suggest that she come to spend a weekend with you? I bet she would love to see your kids. Perhaps a Greyhound trip if she does not drive!

Wishing you the best and some prayers for some time to get to see grandma.

Thank you for hugs,prayers and well wishes.

Any ideas as to what to get mom for her birthday?

Love
JeanCat

Thank you for the encouragement! We just may have to appeal again! Will keep you all informed! Momis going to be so jazzed to know that she is loved and prayed for and given so many Happy BD wishes on the internet!

Love
JeanCat

I sure will Patty!
Thank you for the well wishes!

Love ya
JeanCat

Mom does have gout as I suspected. Not sure what they can give her as it may just upset her stomach. We shall see.

Take care everyone and spend time with your closest maternal relative this weekend. Celebrate life!

Love yas oooooooooooo so much!

With much appreciation to all,

Jeanetta (JeanCat)

JeanCat,

Ah, but if only my grandmother would make that trip. I would go and personally pick her and my grandpa up to bring them to my house. The problem is that she can't talk Grandpa into taking that long of a trip and being away from his own home for more than a few hours. I have suggested that I can come and get them on numerous occasions but to no avail.

You are right in that you never know when will be the last time that you get to spend time with your loved ones. I recently lost a 16 yr old cousin to a horrible car accident and then most recently my MawMaw to old age (my grandmother on my dad's side). So I can definitely say I realize how short life is and that we are not promised tomorrow no matter how young or old we are. I do try to make the best of it when I get to see anyone in my family. Being a Marine Corps wife, it is sometimes hard because family means so much but it isn't always possible to spend the time that I'd like to with them. Nonetheless, I consider myself blessed for any amount of time that I do get with them. I'll always have my memories!

As for what to get your mom for her birthday, hmmm... I am drawing a blank. It's hard to figure out what to get someone that is older because they usually have everything they need! Does she like to go out to eat or to the movies? Maybe you could get her a gift certificate so that when she gets well you can take her out? Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

Hugs, Tammy

Thanks Tammy for sharing.
Yes you 'got it' and understand the changes in aging and the loss of life!

Regarding mom, I am afraid she will not be going to any restuarants or movies again in her lifetime.She is confined to bed and little mobility at this time. It does not appear that she will resume her previous life style.

Flowers are the standby, but being in the nursing home for a month now, this is a regular gift!

Thanks any way! I appreciate your time and consideration.

Love ya
JeanCat

JeanCat,

What about a beautiful blanket to dress her bed with? It's something she can cuddle with and think of you when you are not able to be there!

Hugs,
Tammy

GREAT IDEA!

JeanCat