Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Day #4 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Ok, here goes Day #4.....

Give yourself credit!!!!!!!

People who struggle with their weight tend to be hard on themselves..The minute they stray from their diets in the smallest ways they just want to "throw in the towel"....We need to focus on the postive things that has lead us to be successful to this point...Like....Did you read your response card today several times...Did you give yourself credit for not having something you would have liked to?... By consciously giving yourself credit, you'll reinforce your self confidence and build an awareness that your're strong and in control..They gave an example of someone that had gone out to eat with a friend...The friend was eating the nice warm bread that was in the bread basket before them.. He kept thinking". "I would love to have a piece of bread, too"..."Boy it smells so good, I just have to have a piece, too"...He finally gave into his temptation of having just one slice of bread. When his food came he ate only half the potato to make up for the slice of nice warm bread that he had eaten. He took a negative response(of eating the bread) and turned it into a positive (eating only half of his potato)..He could have easily just given up after the bread and ate anything he wanted. He should pat himself on the back and say.."boy what a strong person I am") As you learn to turn negatives to postives or as you learn to resist things that aren't in your best interest...you will become stronger and each time will be much easier....
Here are some things you can say to your self..

That was good!
Great!
Good going!
That deserves credit!
Yes!
I did it!
Wow, I'm proud of myself!!!

When you're finished eating, look for ways to give yourself credit for refraining from doing the unhelpful things you're tempted to do..

Make sure you give yourself credit lots of times through the day for every little thing that you to work toward your goal...As you go on sticking to your program, getting right back on when you slip the first time, and most of all, giving yourself credit...You have got to come out a

WINNER!!!!

Re: Day #4 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Boy does this hit home! I am really great at being negative (when it comes to myself) but it is so hard to see how well I've done. I'm even embarrssed when the people I work with compliment me. I quickly change the subject. Last Friday a physician I work with said to me "I'd like to compliment you on your acheivement." I'm sure I had a puzzled look on my face when I tried to respond, he said, "On your weight loss."
You could have knocked me over with a feather! It was the last thing I expected! LOL
Guess I should get used to it because I plan to loose a lot more.Thanks Patty! I love these posts.

Re: Day #4 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Glad they help, Sharon..I am doing much better since I started reading this book...I'm trying to get down to my personal goal weight.

Dear Patty,

First of all thank you for the continued and DETAILED posts! They are just wonderful!

Yes I am the hardest on myself and the first to be negative. I am the last to say GREAT JOB! So I will work on this.

I felt great on teh fast wt loss in January, but as it slowed up not so great and now with a no pound loss I am beating myself up for following food plan foods, but slightly larger portions.
I need to say YEAH but you stayed on food plan and did not stray!
That is an achievement.

So do we need a special thread where we pat ourselves on the back!?

JeanCat

Thankyou for reminding us.