Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone know about Volumetric diet

I ordered the volumetric diet book and I intend to do it within my ww healthy eating guide and flex points..
I'm serious about learning to be differant and I think this book will help my husband because he loves to eat. I think WW is my number one diet and nothing will change that. Below is what I found on the internet.
Unlike diets that are based on deprivation, the Volumetrics diet doesn't try to fight this natural preference. Its creator, nutritionist Barbara Rolls, PhD, argues that limiting your diet too severely won't work in the long run. You'll just wind up hungry and unhappy and go back to your old ways.
Rolls' approach is to help people find foods that they can eat lots of while still losing weight. The hook of Volumetrics is its focus on satiety, the feeling of fullness. Rolls says that people feel full because of the amount of food they eat -- not because of the number of calories or the grams of fat, protein, or carbs. So the trick is to fill up on foods that aren't full of calories. Rolls claims that in some cases, following Volumetrics will allow you to eat more -- not less -- than you do now, while still slimming down.
Rolls, with co-author Robert A. Barnett, made her case in 2000 with The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan. In 2005, Rolls followed up with The Volumetrics Eating Plan, which restates the basics of the diet and provides further recipes.
Rolls has excellent credentials. She a professor of nutrition and director of the Laboratory for the Study of Human Ingestive Behavior at Penn State University. She is also the author of more than 200 research articles. Volumetrics is based, in large part, on the work done in her laboratory.
What You Can Eat
Rolls doesn't ban food types. She doesn't divide foods into the good and the bad. But she does urge people to evaluate foods based on their energy density. This concept is crucial to the whole diet.
Energy density is the number of calories in a specified amount of food. Some foods -- especially fats -- are very energy dense. They have a lot of calories packed into a small size. Water is the opposite, since it has an energy density of zero. If you eat foods with high energy density, you rack up calories quickly. If you go with less energy dense foods, you can eat more and get fewer calories.
Very low-density foods include:
Non-starchy vegetables
Nonfat milk
Soup broths
Very high-density foods include
Crackers
Chips
Cookies
Chocolate/Candies
Nuts
Butter
Oils
Volumetrics relies heavily on foods with a high water content - such as many vegetables and fruits, which are 80% to 95% water -- since they will fill you up without adding a lot of calories. Just drinking water isn't enough, Rolls says. It will quench your thirst but not sate your hunger.
Rolls's books are also full of recipes, including many for foods with a lot of water -- like soups, casseroles, stews, and fruit-based desserts. The recipes also use a lot of tricks familiar to low-fat diet veterans: cutting the oil, butter, eggs, cream and using skim milk, egg whites, yogurt, and applesauce instead.
Rolls also suggests eating lots of foods with filling fiber, along with adequate portions of lean protein and some healthy fats from fish and other sources. Of course, energy-dense foods -- like sweets, fats, and alcohol -- are still allowed. You just have to eat them sparingly.
While the hook of Volumetrics is clever, it essentially boils down to the sensible diet that any nutritionist would recommend: lower-calories, lower-fat, with lots of vegetables and fruits.

Re: Anyone know about Volumetric diet

A recent radio news blurb in CA announced that the two most successful diets are Jenny Craig and WW due to the natuarl selection of volumetric foods. (my wording)

Hard for me to believe Jenny Craig ( I have been on it years ago), but who am I to argue results surveys and research.

JeanCat

I heard about it just the other day. Let me know how it is when you get it. :) PS, how much did you pay for it and where did you get it from?

Thanks!

Its a book with a recipe book for $18 on Amazon. I just ordered it yesterday.

Sounds like its all about choices, if i choose to eat a candy bar versus a bowl of fiber cereal, which one is lower in calories and will fill me up?

++++
I found this as part of a review:
"Would we feel fuller on 2 cups of grapes or 1/4 cup of raisins? One is simply a dried version of the other. They are worth the same number of calories (about 100 calories) but see how many more grapes you can eat? Water has weight but no calories. As a rule of thumb, the higher the moisture content of a given food, the lower its energy density, and the more of it you can eat."
++++
I can remember my first WW meeting in March, they showed me a pic of raisins and grapes and asked me the same question.

I think for me WW is my way but my husband is nealy 3001bs and he likes volume so I think its a good book for him and I may get something from it too. He also doesent go to meetings and so far lost 351bs.

I don't see why the volumetric diet can't be incorporated into the WW diet. I've been reading a little bit about it this afternoon. It almost sounds like the Core plan, but just a little bit different. I found this review on 3 fat chicks' website if anyone is interested:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diets_Detailed/Volumetrics_Eating_Plan/

Yep i agree Aimee when i was reading about it, CORE was the first thing that came to mind.

Lorraine Your hubby is doing something right to lose, my DD does not go to meetings, but has been OP and eating healthier and lost 27 lbs.

Its good that He is OP with you Lorraine.

Sat night I saw a news video that stated that Volumetrics was voted the BEST diet and WW and Jenny Craig came after it.
However I think the natural selection of low points makes WW Flex and Core volumetric in itself...

JeanCat

I'm going to write something I feel is an honest opinion mine...

I don't understand why everyone wants to incorporate other things into WW'ers????

WW has been an on going success for about 40 yrs now, I was a new Memmber in 1976 when Jean Nietich was still alive, (the founder of WW)
WW is worked down to a science, which has given many lots of success when doing the right thing...

It might help some to add something more, but I think in the long run, the whole thing is going to flop..

I'm not knocking other alternatives, but working the two or three programs into one, I dunno........???

I'm just puzzled, and for me I'll stick to just one,
Weight Watchers....

Again i agree with Tobe, anytime i see the the word, diet, i close my mind completely.

I love to eat,but i did not weigh 227 pounds because of only that, when i weighed that, FOOD, was my priority. You name it i ate it(almost). I was embarrassed to tell people i was a vegetarian because i was so overweight. But cakes,ice cream.candy,chips, soda more than made up for it. I would eat everything but meat/eggs.
Weight Watchers is a way of life and shows you how to eat. How to think like a thin person.Portion control! When people diet, as soon as they lose the required weight and stop eating what the diet told them to eat, they more than likely gain it all back. If one "diet" did the trick, we would not have 1 billion new ones a year.

I mean i could start a "diet" called, "Lose 5 in 10 days, and all you have to do is eat these 3 meals,plus fruit, no exercise, the pounds just melt away" Well common sense is to eat only 3 meals and fruit, i don't need someone to tell me that.

I do believe there are certain diets that work, but i believe they are also for the people who only need to lose 10 pounds, not for the ones like me who need to lose more. Well i do need to lose 10..... but 5 times, LOL.

Lorraine, please don't feel this is an attack on what You are doing, i guess what ever works, but as i said You and hubby are doing something right.

Akus, I agree with you WW is toally for me and no other diet will change that. I ordered the book to incorporate it into my flex plan and my husband was 320 and lost 35 but he like volume and knows nothing about weight loss only from me. I hope we get something from it but I wont covert to it. I go to meeting and I'm a WW lifetimer who was off track and now I'm back on. I also was 501bs over goal and I lost 27 since I was back on WW in Jan and I know this plan works. I need a flexible plan like this so I can have everything in moderation.
Lorraine.

I have to stand up here and take another stand point. I agree that WW is a very good plan, but I honestly believe that reading the volumetric diet doesn't hurt in anyway. I might read it, not for the "diet" aspect of it, but to learn how to get better choices as far as volume goes into the WW plan. It's sort of like... if I have a Slimfast shake for lunch, it doesn't mean I'm on the Slimfast diet, it just means I had a Slimfast shake for lunch. I'd still count the points for it. If I were to read about how eating grapes would help fill me up better than raisins in the Volumetric diet book, it just means I'd be counting a point for grapes.

I've been reading The Beck Diet Solution book. It isn't actually a "diet" it just helps us understand why we crave things and how to overcome those cravings along with several other very helpful points to the book. It's more of the "mental" side to weight loss. You can be following ANY plan while reading the book. Weight Watchers doesn't really cover this stuff in depth. I feel like they mostly teach you about counting points. They do touch on topics, but not in the depth that this book does. I've already lost the weight and gained it back on Weight Watchers. I'd like to get my head in the right place and this time keep it off.

I think if there's a book out there that will help us lose the weight and keep it off no matter what the book is, it's a good thing. It might not be for everyone, but knowledge is power right?

Ok, I'm stepping down now. :) I just felt like I needed to get that out there. Thanks!

I agree more w/ Tobe, but I agree w/ parts of Aimee's as well. To me, for my mind to be right, I have to believe 100 % in my plan. I have to have faith in it. That being said, Aimee's right that knowledge is power, so learning about Core foods or energy density foods that will help along the way just gives us more weapons in our arsenals of being healthy. So I'd read what I want to read and take what I can from it, but I don't think I'll change my way of doing things because of it. I don't really want to try to figure out energy density or whatever.

I want to count my points. Im losing counting my points. If it aint broke, don't fix it. As for the Beck Diet Solution, to me that is for getting yourself mentally ready to be a healthier person. Volumetrics is another food plan from what I read. It's educational, but it won't change my mind about how I see food. The 12 steps I'm working is the same thing. It's the mental aspects of being healthy. I use WW for the physical because I don't have to think think think. I count my points for a physical change and work my steps for a mental change. I believe in both for my spiritual change. To each his/her own.

I have to re-post this when it comes to the food end of the two food plans:
"I think the natural selection of low points makes WW Flex and Core volumetric in itself...."

I Know I eat WAY more food on Flex or Core than I ever ate without WW. I eat more volumetric foods such as fresh fruit, veggies, cooked veggies, salads etc. I eat more roots and berries than ever before.
I eat more nuts and more grains and I eat less protein and fat. Heck I never ate nuts, berries or veggies!

But I DO EAT and before WW I just starved all day and ate snacks at night or nothing at all and binged on the weekends.

So WW has taught me much. But my first days of WW back in 1974/5 taught me about nutrition! I will always be forever grateful.

However I am a scientist. As a scientist I must keep my mind open, able and ready to accept new truths and through out old ways that may be proven unsafe or not valid or improved upon.

I have no problem with any food plan that is wholesome. I think Volumetrics is wholesome. It just probably would not work for me since I am not that much into more than 3-5 fruits/veggies a day. I have come a long way from NO fruit and NO veggies for 35 or 40 yrs to adding FIVE a day. I still have to force them.

I don't have the book and can not speak from it, but I can say that I believe IF there is one thing I can learn from it and incorporate into my WW, which as Ben states "I have faith in", and if it is still On MY Program, then there is nothing wrong with it.

I am more concerned about getting a balanced meal and 'balanced day', than I am with volume per se. But if this book can show me how then great!

For those who are trying to cut the volume because that is where they came from (why they became overwt) and how they got here, then I wholeheartedly understand that volumetrics could be a set- back and not for them.

WHY do you think WW has both CORE and FLEX??? Think about it! For YEARS WW would only have one plan for all. Don't you think that they found various plans work for different people? I will bet right now they are working on a different plan or a variation of this one. Why? Well it can gets back those who left as a new plan will have a different spin or approach. It keeps WW fresh and not your Grandma's diet any more feeling; which means it can capture youth because WW is open to change, science, discovery, new interpretation and individualistic approaches.

After being in a 12 step program for about 6 years (many years ago) for compulsive food intake I KNOW the difference between Getting to the root of the problems and addressing only the symptom (the action of eating) or food (the drug). So I have to Agree that WW only scratches the surface of dealing with the mental side that Aimee talks about and it does not deal well with the emotional side of overeating, stress eating, overindulgence etc what ever you want to call it.

WW is good for some behavior modification and some mental and some emotional, but not very deep as Aimee has said better than I.

There is nothing wrong with using any and all resources to get healthier, happier, more sane and live longer.

However I will say this: I think it is best for newbies who are not seasoned 'dieters' to stick to the WW Flex or Core then switch to either and use it until they feel comfortable to branch out and 'incorporate' other ideas, otherwise they may feel overwhelmed and quit what is working for them in the beginning.

This is not about fixing something that is broken. WW is not broken, but it could be improved or tweaked (for some people, not everyone).

Once AGAIN I say it is a very INDIVIDUALISTIC.
This is about the third discussion in which I have used this term. To borrow from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" : some of us are oranges and some of us are apples, but in the end we area all fruit!"

So I think oranges and apples have a different taste or taste different, but they are both fruit. I also know there are other fruit out there.

Okay I am done!

By the way in OA this is an existing problem: ONE only food plan or food plan of your choice,but using the SAME 12 steps! This is why there are two distinct groups. I have forgotten the names of them right now. But they still respect that they are 12 step groups. I think it is called Gray Sheeters (1 specific diet) and OA. I do hope that I do not have that wrong. By the way I just learned that OA has an online program as well. I may be checking that out, but with my WW program foods and tools and all that I know to incorporate more tools or 'steps' to help me fight my emotional urges to eat for comfort. (Isn't that why WW called their new recipe book "Comfort Foods"? that means we are going make less fattening foods or lower point foods, so when we need comfort we can eat more, but isn't that volumetric? and doesn't this say it is okay to eat to comfort one's self? OA would say NO get to the root cause use root analysis, WW says eat wisely and think ahead)

I am glad to see that WE CAN (or learn to) respect the choices that others make as we still follow WW tools, meeting discussions, ways, methods, nutritional guidelines, networking, support, etc

Okay that is my 2 cents (okay maybe 50 cents) :)

Love to you all,
With Great Respect for what ever works for you!

JeanCat
Jeanetta

Thanks, JeanCat, well written..I agree with you...

Patty

Thanks Patty!

JC