Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do I give the scale the boot?

hi all- could use some advice. I've been thinking recently about tossing my bathroom scale. Many of my days/moods/judgments have been affected by the thing. I guess the only reason I still hold onto it is because not weighing myself was one of my old bad habits, and I'm worried about going down the slippery slope.

What do you guys think? Anyone had success maintaining without a scale?

For reference: I've been around 15 lbs under WW goal for about 4 years so i have a little experience with maintenance.
thanks! ;)

Re: Do I give the scale the boot?

Put them in a hard to get place and only bring them out if your clothes feel tight. You should one day be able to be a bit more relaxed about this. For me I dident get on the scales when I was heavy and that was a big mistake. I was in denial and I gained even more that I could have believed.

Mandee
If you know the cause of your uncomfortability then make that change and put it away,

Take it out once a week and weigh in...
The scale can become an enemy for us...
If your at goal or under, don't you still go to WW to get that once a month weigh in???

I'm below goal also, and i still go weekly to get weighed and I have to stay and sit through a meeting, this time its working,
all the other times at goal didn't work because I didn't go back to WW... bad mistake on my part.

and I didn't touch my scale at home, because i was gaining knew it but didn't want to see it, until I maxxed out and went back to WW....

on the weight loss registry the people they followed it said that alot of the successful people weighed every day!! but at least once a week and then if they start to gain they get back to the basics. I think its dangerous not to ever weigh..I agree with putting it out of site out of mind and at least once a month see whats going on!

I just posted yesterday about changing my goal weight and a lot of it has to do with this type of thing. I think that if you have maintained this well, you can simply use the fit and feel of your clothes as a guide. Our bodies fluctuate so much that the scale isn't always an accurate indicator. You can gain pounds but lose inches with weight training, etc.

Just my 2 cents...

Uki

I need for motivation. I weigh in daily. If I'm up I kick it into gear to hit a loss by weigh day. If I'm down I try even hard to hit my P's and Q's to ensure I lose even more by weigh day. It is what you make it in your mind. It's my little motivational helper, so I say keep it. But that's me .

Re: Re: Do I give the scale the boot?

I think we can all tell it is a very individual and personal issue as to what will work for us! I beleive we intuitively KNOW.

I am much like BEN. I need to see how I am doing, and I am way OVER the up a pound or two after a big meal or salt laden meal, I can deal with that.

But when I put the scale in my bathroom tha tI don't use often ( ha!ha! I use a different bathroom!) in order to not weigh every day cause I had read you should not, I ended up NOT weighing for 5 yrs gainign all and THEN SOME and then having two health scares. I will NEVER put that scale away again. HOwever I will be respectful of myself and know that my wt does and will change withing 1- 4 pounds overnight and with in one day very easily depending upon my fluid, food and additive intake. And I just may even learn depending upon exercise.

What is good for me is not necessarily going to be good for others.

But sharing helps us know that we are not alone. That others are out there that have similar issues.

I weigh in the am (nude before eating), again at the end of the day before dinner and at night. I record my wts. For me this is part of MY PROGRAM and it helps me to stay on it. My only rule is if I weigh I must document otherwise it becomes an obsession for me.

Respectfully,

JeanCat
PS interpretation: There is NO right or Wrong as long as you stay sane and it works for you.

I weigh first thing each and every morning, sometimes right before bed, and sometimes even in the middle of the night after releasing all that
&#@*&!@+@*!! water I've consumed during the day

I need my scale....

I agree with JeanCat. This is a decision that only you can make as we all have differing opinions on what works.
My opinion for ME is that I have to keep my scale. I do not weigh myself everyday but I do weigh myself several times per week. This helps me to know where I am at and if I need to kick it up on movement and back on food. I find the best time to weight myself is in the morning after using the restroom but before I eat.
I will not typically weigh myself later in the day because I feel like I am just weighing all the food and water that I've had and what's the point in that?
So as you can see from the replies, it is different for everyone in how we use and see the scale.
My personal suggestion is that you keep it, but only weight yourself perhaps every other morning.
But by all means, do not get rid of it! Studies show that people who weigh themselves on a regular basis are more likely to lose weight and keep it off than those who choose not to weigh.
Good luck on what you decide!
Tammy

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I actually will keep the scale but relocate it to a harder-to-reach place as many of you suggested.

Instinct was telling me to keep it but the occassional unexplained 3 lb gain, and toll is inevitably takes on my mood, can make it tough sometimes. It's especially difficult when no one else I know weighs themselves more often than their yearly phsyical.

Thanks to all for reminding me I'm not in this alone!

This is the first time in 20 years that i actually have a scale in my home. I debated on having one when i re-committed to WW. But since my DD's are doing the program also i got it for them to track their loss's. I do step on it daily, sometimes i step on it 2-3 times a day,but i have come to know that my weight will fluctuate within a 24 hr period. IF i am OP and making good choices food wise and earning AP, then i am accountable. IF i dont stay OP and have not done any activity and ate poorly then i am also acccountable and i can not look in the scale in horror. The scale didnt do it, i did.