Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Day #9 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Ok, we have arrived at Day 9 now....Are you still reading your Advantages Response Cards? Read them every time you are tempted to fall off the wagon or you need a little motivation... That will keep you focused on going toward your goal....

Day 9..Select an Exericse Plan..

Here is what they had to say about losing weight through dieting alone...'Although many people attempt to lose weight through dieting alone, research clearly supports that your long-term success depends on also getting regular exercise. A study of thousands of participants who have lost more than 30 pounds and maintained that weight loss for at least 1 year...show a combination of diet and exercise; only 10 percent use diet alone, and 1 percent rely on only exercise.'

Exercise helps you stick to your diet...

Exercise might help control appetite.

Exercise burns calories

Exercise perserves muscle tissue

Exercise makes you feel better physically

Exercise imporoves your health and helps prevent disease

The Centers for Disiease Control report that only 17.5 percent of dieters combine dieting with exercise..No wonder it's so difficult for most people to lose weight, much less keep it off...

2 kinds of exercises..
Spontaneous, that is when you go to the grocery, mall, or work and park out at the end of the lot so you have to walk further to get to the store...Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Instead of putting stuff on the bottom of the steps all day and taking them up at night,(I'm guilty of that one), take each one up as you accumulate it..
Planned Exercise...
We all know what this is...making the time to plan some kind of exercise into your daily routine...

If you currently exercise fewer than 3 times a week, your goal is to try to get into the habit, then you might find you would like to increase the frequency or maybe just lengthen the workout...

Sorry, had to run through this last part,,, getting a bad storm here in ohio... See you tomorrow for Day 10 which is SET A REALISTIC GOAL...

Re: Day #9 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

It took me a long time to 'want' to exercise this time around. I just did not want to do it.
After a 10 week WW pin and 10 lb loss award at WW (or is it the other way around) I did not have much of a wt loss for another month. So I decided I must try exercise. Intellectually I knew it. But I just could not get motivated.
Finally I kept PASSING up reading the MOVE or Exercise threads on this site. But they kept calling me.

I teach pharmacology, so I KNOW about endorphins and feeling better through exercise.

One night with my mom in the nursing home, my diabetic sister asked me to walk with her. I felt I just would not be able to do it. But you know once I started I just did not want to stop. She reminded I would be sore. We walked 2.5 miles on an up and downhill blacktop in her neighborhood at 2 am! WE bonded a bit and then the next week we did not walk, but I wanted to.

The following week I found myself telling my WW buddy that I wanted to walk but my schedule did not allow for it. I made an off the wall comment about 'unless I walked at MidNight (MN)". She chimed in "yeah me too!" ....the rest is history. We began walking with a commitment of Wed. Thurs and Fri nights, after my work at MN. We began last week!

We did one week. WE both had blisters and knee problems and decided last Sat to buy the right shoes. So I bought hiking boots. We will resume our planned walking tonight. It is much colder now, it had been warm and beautiful at MN, so I brought a heavier top to wear tonight. Will use the boots for the first time too!

I just had to begin t o exercise or I would die. Finding the motivation was the problem!

I had joined a 24 hr fitness with the idea of going at MN by myself in October of 2005. I went 3 times and no more. I did not like going by myself and I could not do the machines due to an abdominal hernia. My heart felt like it was overworking on the tread mill and eliptical machines. No one there was older than 38 and no one to understand I really needed to start out very very slowly. There sits one more year of membership.

So out of the need, came an idea! I don't know what we will do when weather gets cold, but I will deal with it then.

Day 9 would be equivalent to 1week and 2 days of being on any food plan or WW program. WW begins talking about moving on week three. I think Beck's earlier mention is to prepare you and to get you thinking about it and to decide which type of exercise, buy clothes, tools, equipment etc. You may not begin right away but it puts the idea in your head much earlier.
Being on any 'diet' or change in food plan for wt loss and healthier life usually means sticking to it very well in the first two to 3 weeks with a greater loss due to water loss. I think WW's idea of beginning in the week three (3) is to capture the attention of the new 'dieter' who may get disillusioned in week 3 and 4 with less wt loss, to get them to look at the NEXT step and sort of distract them from thinking of the lower wt loss, perhaps getting them to think that with exercise I will increase my wt loss, and maybe the combination will work better.

But again the MOTIVATION is the hard part. and I think BELIEVING that you CAN do it and it is not going to cause you pain or death helps.

Thanks for the UPDATE on BECK's Diet Day 9.

I am so looking forward to Day 10. By the way Patty, I forgot how many day's Becks discusses.

Thanks again for sharing and your time in posting!

JeanCat

Re: Day #9 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Alright, I guess after reading this, I'll take Riley to the park and walk the 1 mile path and see how far my knee gets me. I guess it can't hurt any worse than it already does. LOL!

BTW, JeanCat, the Beck Diet Solution has 42 days to it. :) 9 days down, many to go. LOL!