Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jean Cat's Favorites # 7 - May 21, 2007

NEW Healthy Favorite Snack

Trader Joes LOW FAT Hummus DIP
The package does NOT say Low Fat! But considering the other or regular hummus has tahini and tahini oil in it and has large amounts of Fat grams, the following is a steal:

1. Tomato Basil 35 cals, Fat 2 grams Fiber 1 gram = 2Tbsp
2. Garlic Eggplant 35 cals Fat 2 grams Fiber 2 grams = 2 Tbsp

Each container has 8 servings or 16 Tbsp! 8 x 2 = 16pts

Enjoy the Dip with BABY Organic Carrots, Snow Peas and Celery!

TIP: Another wonderful thing to do with the tomato basil hummus is use it as a pasta sauce then top with parmesan cheese.

Manga Buono!

JeanCat

Re: Jean Cat's Favorites # 7 - May 21, 2007

When I was at my sisters this weekend I made a Spinach breakfast puff or souffle or 'bake' what ever you want to call it. I had extra spinach left over. So I made this:

Love Spinach Dip? Try this:

½ to 1 package of chopped spinach cooked for 3 minutes boiling water, drained WELL
½ cup to 1 cup Toffuttie PLAIN Cream Cheese Substitute
OR
½ Cup to 1 Cup Fat Free Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Add any or all:
½ garlic powder or fresh garlic or both!
1/4 tsp to ½ tsp onion powder or 2 tsp onion flakes
1 Tbsp Parsley, dried
¼ minced or diced fresh onion, green scallion or regular
Almonds, slivered or any other nut
Parmesan cheese to taste

Be sure to count the points for additional flavorings or additives.

Serve with cucumbers, celery, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms or snow peas to dip with.

Yum!

You may also heat this and serve over a baked potato or any other dish where creamed spinach would be served such as with prime rib or steak.

Of course most of you will want to add salt and pepper to taste. I use Salt Free Ms Dash in the Original and Garlic/Herb.

Mangaste Buono!

JeanCat

I've never actually tried hummus before. Maybe I'll look it up the next time I'm at Trader Joe's. Thanks! :)

Oh i love hummus,spinach dip and Mrs.Dash (every few weeks i pick up a different one) Table Blend is .

I always enjoyed baba ganoush, for those who don't know its like hummus but made with eggplant instead of chickpeas. A friend use to make it for me, i think i will try to make it soon.Just have to watch my serving size because if has alot of oil in it. ( tahini paste plus olive oil)

Thanks for the thread JeanCat

Akus the garlic hummus is an eggplant and garlic, you might like it!

Aimee, I think you might like it. I am actually thinking about making my own sans any oil or controlling it better so that it counts LESS!
I brought it the pot luck last week and my high school students turned up their noses, until one of them tried and liked it. It was gone in a 'hot flash'!

JeanCat

Dear Aimee,

I wanted to continue more on the last post, but I post between classes, breaks etc and I had to get back to teaching! :)

Any way I used to crinkle my nose at the thought of hummus. But when I saw sooooooooooo much of it in many types and flavors etc at TJ's, I thought it MUST be good and selling or they would not have it. So I decided to give it a try. I almost died when I checked the fat content and the cals etc and almost gave up because it is soooooooo high in oil and tahini. But for some reason my second trip that I looked at the hummus I picked up the Tomato Basil and I had to pick up a couple to read them and BE SURE that what I was reading was real. The Fat count was sooooo comparatively low that it was worthy of a good old 'try' from me. Since I liked it so much I looked for more lower fat content hummus in different flavors upon my NEXT return to Trader Joes. That is when I found the Garlic Eggplant. I still look for more or others, but so far they are the only ones I will buy. I won't waste my precious points on extra oil.

Give it a try and let me know?

JeanCat