Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Day #13 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Sorry, this might be short and sweet...I'm still having trouble seeing.....I can type..just having trouble reading the book with it's small print....

Overcome Cravings......
Cravings usually peak within the first few weeks of your diet. Once you limit or stop eating the foods you crave (usually fast food, sweets, salty snacks, your cravings for those foods will go away signifiscantly.
'To weaken the intensity and reduce the frequency of cravings, you have to stop giving in to them.'
Waiting out a craving increases your ability to tolerate cravings and also increases your confidence that you can do it.. The more often you wait out your cravings, the less intense and less frequent they will be later. In time you'll feel a craving and instead of feeling bad, you'll feel good..You'll say to yourself, this is great, I'm feeling a craving, but I know I can tolerate it and it'll go away..Instead of feeling deprived, you'll feel good, proud,strong, in control...Dieting will get much easier for you...
Anti-Craving Stategies..
1. Label it...Tell yourself it is just a craving...
2. Stand firm..you are abolutely not going to give in.
3. Don't give yourself any choice..
4. Imagine the aftermath of giving in...
5. Remind yourself why you want to learn to not give into your cravings..

Behavioral Techniques..
If all of the above things don't put you in the right mind to walk away...you might want to try these.
1. Move the food or walk away...
2. Drink a no calorie or low calorie beverage.
3.Relax...do some slow deep breathing for 3 min. until you feel relaxed and in control.
4. Distract yourself...call a friend, take the dog for a walk, clean the house...sometimes doing something different will take your mind off of what you were craving...

A ending note...(from the book)

'When you experience a craving because you see or smell food, move the food to an inconvenient place or get rid of it-or remove yourself from the scene.'

Day 14 is next...Plan for Tomorrow....

Re: Day #13 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

WOW! this follows WW almost to the 'tee'! er...vice versa!

Cravings and Urges!

Again I am not sure that my brain or body knows the difference. I only know I respond by giving in and I must learn to respond with a different action.
So I will be employing the methods that both Becks and WW have outlined.

What a kick Patty's post even corresponded with the same topic of last weeks WW topic review, in 'real' time. That probably won't happen much.

Patty I was wondering how many numbered lessons we will have in total. I personally 'seek' your posts on Beck's Diet. Enjoy them and get much out of them. I think I get more out of them with the postings than I would alone with the book. So I thank you for your time and effort.

I was craving chocolate the first 6 weeks of the year when I returned to WW with full on commitment. I bought and used every WW chocolate bar they had. I also substituted "DATES" and "TJ's Mission Figs". I know that sounds weird but they were the sweetest fruit I could find and funny enough they are also brown. And it worked for me. I now find myself craving chocolate less often and I still keep them in the car. Perhaps because I know I can have them, they are low in points or just because the same degree of craving has left me, I really don't know.
I now seem to crave chocolate at that TOM.
But I use or eat the WW caramel bars and I am fine! I also found that less WW Chocolate/Caramel bar satisfies me compared to regular chocolate bars. Also regular chocolate bars set me up to want more and eat more. Don't know why! Just a fact 'for me'.

Distraction has helped by my coming to this site to read,to learn and to post.

Thanks for allowing me to share Patty.
Looking forward to your next post.

JeanCat

Re: Day #13 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Jeancat...glad you are enjoying my posts on the Beck Diet Solution. I told aimee this week walking out of weight watcher class, either the Beck Solution is patterned after weight watchers or vice versa.....Every week seems to say the same thing....makes you wonder....again glad you are reading them....

Patty

Jeancat...sorry I forgot to answer your question. We have 42 days in the book....so have lots more to go....stay posted.....

Patty

Dear Patty,

Your comment to AIMEE is just what I was thinking!
Makes you wonder but then again much has been taken from psychology that doesn't change much! :)

But you are exactly right! and you just happend to open the book at the right time to fit in with WW topics, how cool is that?

a bit eerie too! Hee!

Yes I AM totally enjoying the topics and especially when they intertwine/overlap. It is much like getting a review of the last week's WW topic.

I must confess I do not look at my 'cards' every day!

May I suggest the following if I am not out of line:

Type up your posts on a word document before you post, then copy and post it. Why? So that when/if the day comes when AIMEE decides to use a different webhosting/site (not sure what it is called) it will be already saved and an easy transfer. We do not necessarily need my comments on this thread or those of others on the new site. But your actual posts would be a great thing to have as a tool for others and it would be enduring.

Take care Patty,

And thank you again! Keep up the GREAT work!

Love ya,
JeanCat

Jean...that is a good idea..I'm not very good on a computer but maybe aimee or my husband and help me...A good suggestion if aimee is going to lose them when she changes....

Patty

Re: Re: Day #13 of The Beck Diet Solution....(train your brain to think like a thin person)

Let me know if you need my help.

Jean Cat