Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

Go for the GOAL!

Dear All,

I hate the word 'challenge', but this IS a challenge. I think of it more as a journey. This is a challenge between me and myself. It is a Self- Challenge! Join me in a challenge between you and yourself. Your GOAL can be as simple as a weight number, a size, a behavior, WW tool or action that you want to improve or many of the above all at one time.

All you need to do is post your GOAL, your PRIZE and your PLAN (how you will do it) and your STATUS. Assess the Goal, Plan and Prize weekly. Make any adjustments and continue forward.

I also added: My status or "where I am at currently", so that I can keep myself HONEST with the challenge. So, that I can MEASURE the outcome; to know how well I attained my goal.

During my Saturday, May 26, 2007 meeting I made a storyboard (per leader direction). I am holding myself accountable by posting it:

My Summer Challenge is to meet all of my goals. Any HONEST improvement will be accepted (flexibility and forgiveness are built into the challenge FOR ME).

My Story Board Goal:
To be size 16/18 on or by Labor Day September 3, 2007
My prize: A new outfit

The road or path that I will follow to my ‘temporary size’ destination to have a successful summer includes the following:

1. Hydration of at least 6 glasses of fluid a day (currently I drink about 2 glasses, still more than the zero a year ago).
2. Eat More veggies and fruit to equal 5 or more per day. (currently I eat about 2 - 3, still more than the zero a year ago).
3. Plan and Prepare by having low point snacks in purse and car. (currently I do this, but sometimes fail to use them).
4. Track and Journal daily: my wt, points, food intake and my thoughts and feelings. (currently I begin to track at the beginning of the week and then slack off, still better than not, yet not as good as I once did).
5. Plan and Prepare daily meals as much as possible. (currently I eat well before leaving the house, but sometimes fail to bring lunch to work thereby missing lunch or seeking food on a hungry stomach: a danger).
6. Expect the unexpected and accept that URGES are a part of life and by not yielding to them. Progressively learn to not give into my URGES. Give in to Cravings as soon as my plan/points will allow.
7. Move more. I currently walk three times a week. Add to this at least 20 minutes of movement per day on the off days by Labor Day.
8. Sleep More - currently I get about 4 hours of sleep, but my body needs 8. However on Sunday nights I usually get zero hours of sleep and never feel refreshed the whole week. (I visit my mom on weekends and due to stress stay up all night).
9. Attend all meetings this summer, and post and network on this site as this site represents my meetings between WW meetings; being ever so mindful of my chosen words. (Currently I attend all meetings, except if I have a social gathering that is at the same time. Currently I post every day or every other day, except when I need sleep or my mom is in hospital.)
10. Address each of these goals realistically at least once per week. Compare my progress. Post it and stay accountable.
11. On Labor Day review EACH of my path challenges: Reward myself with a small non-food item for each of the successes I have made during this summer.
12. When I am a size 16/18 reward myself with a new outfit. I started with a size 22/24, then 22/20 am currently a 20/18 with a current 12.6 lbs loss)
13. Have a Successful Summer. Enjoy living. (currently I have no special time set aside for me to go anywhere, I will plan at least one fun getaway this summer).

Notice that I have built into the challenge forgiveness and flexibility, FOR ME. That is because in the past I have failed all CHRSTIMAS,NEW YEARS, VALENTINE, WEDDING and other challenges, especially those on the WW boards. The reason is they were always about the WEIGHT. They were always a challenge with each other or should I say that is how I saw them. This time I made this challenge to mimic the Summer of Success plan that was discussed in my WW meeting today, May 26, 07. When I got home I realized it is a self-challenge and it includes a plan, not just a goal. I decided that FOR ME ‘forgiveness and flexibility to change the course or direction’ is KEY to my Success. If something is not working for me, then change it. It may not be for you! So if you decide to join this Summer of Success Self- Challenge you may or may not want to add the forgiveness/flexibility. Also I added a STAUS or ‘where’ I am at to keep me accountable. On all other wt off challenges you state what you weigh and how much you want to weigh by a certain day, without any plan other than to say you are on program.
On THIS self –challenge you state your current situation and target goal and how you will get there.
To say ‘On Program’ means following the 8 healthy guidelines too! It means FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE is not core, if you are real strict! It means you have to count it as weekly points! It means Two teaspoonsful of oil every, day even if you think you don’t need it. It means exercising, even if you don’t feel like it. It means Drinking 6 glasses of fluid/water, even if you are in the bathroom all day. Be specific in the areas that trouble you. But state HOW you will achieve your goal. Review weekly, assess whether or not you are improving. Forgive and Make changes if your plan permits. Move ahead. Keep your eye on the prize. Go for the GOAL!

If you wish to join the Summer of Success Self – Challenge just post your GOAL, PRIZE and PLAN (and Status) on this thread.
Recommit daily or weekly your preference. See you along the way and in September when we compare!

Von Voyage!

JeanCat

Re: Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

I'll take the challenge too!

Goal: Size 24 by Labor day.
Prize: A Rice Cooker.
Plan: Dring water and exercise each day while OP
Status: I am in a size 26, drink about half of the water I should, and do not do any exercise.
Will try some from the videos that JeanCat mentioned in her posts.

I'll reevaluate in about two weeks.

Welcome! Good to have you aboard the Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

Will look forward to seeing your progress!

JeanCat

Pushing this back to the top for those who were busy this weekend and did not get to see it.

Come join the Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

JeanCat

I did read this when You first posted it JeanCat and gave it much thought.

To be honest, September is so long away and when i first started this i told myself i would have weekly goals, then i realized a week is a long time. I seen what previous not met weekly goals did to my self-esteem, so i changed it to daily goals, my weekly one is now what shows at the scale and the NSV( non scale victory)

I think its a great motivation for people who can do that, i am not one "at this time" who can look that far ahead.

Good luck JeanCat and others who take on the challenge

Re: Re: Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

Thank you Akus!
I too have to work my program on e day at a time! Inthe past challenges have not worked and they too have concerned me and hurt my self-esteem.

This time I feel different about it because there is much more of a 'plan' and it is following the WW meeting lecture of last week AND what WW seems to be doing for the summer.

I had already decided that if I have a poor outcome with self-esteem that it will be the last challenge.
I certainly can relate.

ONE more thing that makes this differently is the fact that it is not a challenge with others with the same goal of wt loss, but with yourself for other non-scale victories and or wt loss.

I do appreciate your input. I believe others feel as you. I am going to give it one more try because it is set up differently and I feel differently about it.

I brought it to the top again since so many were not posting this holiday weekend that some may not have seen it since it was no longer a 'new' post.

Respectfully,

JeanCat

Week 1 ending Sat June 2, 07 Re: Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

The following is my Summer of Success Challenge that I am recommitting to:

“The road or path that I will follow to my ‘temporary size’ destination to have a successful summer includes the following:

1. Hydration of at least 6 glasses of fluid a day (currently I drink about 2 glasses, still more than the zero a year ago). (as of 6-3-09 I was having 2-4 glasses of liquid/day).
2. Eat More veggies and fruit to equal 5 or more per day. (currently I eat about 2 - 3, still more than the zero a year ago). (as of 6-3-09 I was having 2-4 glasses of liquid/day = same).

3. Plan and Prepare by having low point snacks in purse and car. (currently I do this, but sometimes fail to use them= as of 6-3-09 much better ).
4. Track and Journal daily: my wt, points, food intake and my thoughts and feelings. (currently I begin to track at the beginning of the week and then slack off, still better than not, yet not as good as I once did). (as of 6-3-09 =same)
5. Plan and Prepare daily meals as much as possible. (currently I eat well before leaving the house, but sometimes fail to bring lunch to work thereby missing lunch or seeking food on a hungry stomach: a danger). (as of 6-3-09 better at dinner)
6. Expect the unexpected and accept that URGES are a part of life and by not yielding to them. Progressively learn to not give into my URGES. Give in to Cravings as soon as my plan/points will allow. (as of 6-3-09 did well at buffet but not as well during holiday with extra portions.)
7. Move more. I currently walk three times a week. Add to this at least 20 minutes of movement per day on the off days by Labor Day. (as of 6-3-09 same 3 days a week 2.2 miles in 45 to 52 minutes, injured foot on 6-2-07 may not be able to walk on Wed)
8. Sleep More - currently I get about 4 hours of sleep, but my body needs 8. However on Sunday nights I usually get zero hours of sleep and never feel refreshed the whole week. (I visit my mom on weekends and due to stress stay up all night).(as of 6-3-09 got less sleep on Monday but better the rest of the week, but here I am up!)
9. Attend all meetings this summer, and post and network on this site as this site represents my meetings between WW meetings; being ever so mindful of my chosen words. (Currently I attend all meetings, except if I have a social gathering that is at the same time. Currently I post every day or every other day, except when I need sleep or my mom is in hospital.) (as of 6-3-09 same)
10. Address each of these goals realistically at least once per week. Compare my progress. Post it and stay accountable. (as of 6-3-09 posting now for first wk of summer self-challenge)
11. On Labor Day review EACH of my path challenges: Reward myself with a small non-food item for each of the successes I have made during this summer. (as of 6-3-09 = same)
12. When I am a size 16/18 reward myself with a new outfit. I started with a size 22/24, then 22/20 am currently a 20/18 with a current 12.6 lbs loss) (as of 6-3-09 = same)
13. Have a Successful Summer. Enjoy living. (currently I have no special time set aside for me to go anywhere, I will plan at least one fun getaway this summer). (as of 6-3-09 = same)

There are 14 weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day so we are now down to 13 weeks. My journey is a little different than some on the board as my goal is to "maintain". The summer is a harder time for me as I am more social- visiting family and friends and having all the wonderful BBQ items that I'm just not hungry for during the colder months. How will I achieve this:

1. Remember that "this food" will be around later- I don't have to pig-out when I see a favorite item on the picnic table.
2. Consider fresh fruit a normal summertime dessert and save the cake for special. Did you see where Pillsbury has a 50% less sugar cake mix and frosting- saw it in the coupon section of the newspaper today-hope that doesn't mean more fat to make up the flavor. Will let you know!!
Increase exercise (move more). Maybe use that CURVES membership io use to be faithful at.
Well that my plan to suceed. Hope to see more comittments as the week moves on.

I know I'll be ok in maintaining as long as I continue to show up weekly in a WW meeting through out the summer.

I vowed that to myself back in Oct 06, when I walked back into the WW center... AGAIN!!!!!!!
I've missed 1 meeting this whole time, and I was away.

As soon as I got home, off I went trotting back to my regular meeting.

Meeting Makers Make it......

Welcome Jaymar, Cam and Tobe to the Summer of Success Self-Challenge!

I am happy to be in such good company!

Cam and Tobe you havemuch experience and wisdom to offer this thread. I hope to learn much from you.
Still we all find the summer to be a bit of challenge.

I wish every one well.

Thank you Cam for pointing out that we have 13 weeks left. That is a reality check. It seems so far away, but when I think how time has flown since Jan 1, 07or Christmas 2006 it seems like yesterday! While I have lost 16.8 pounds in that time, I could have and should have done better. So I am hoping that I stick to my program and the way that I will do better.

I will keep recalling my leader of last week saying it is improvement not perfection that we are after.

I have wondered if there are special meetings for maintainers to discuss topics that are specific t maintenence. I know of only a few lifers that are active (as many of us have said we go out and in so many times). Well I am hoping that there is.

What a nice thread that might be for those who are maintaining to discuss the issues about maintenance. I believe it will be needed by those who make goal soon. A long way off for me, but I have read a few who seem to be approaching it. Well I leave this in your hands, as you two Cam and Tobe are a few of the 'maintainers'.... I know we can all learn by reading your accounts of your new way of life.

We are all masters at wt loss, many of us have done it over and over again. But to keep it off, that is very special.

Looking forward to our weekly recommitments and our Labor Day announcements of how well we did.

Wishing you all the best,

Jean Cat

This week is much like last week, with anothe wt loss this time of 1.4 lbs. My Summer of Success Self-Challenge is off to a good start.

I am recomitting to all that I have posted in my previous lists. Not going to re-list them. But I am having most difficluty with the water and passing up urges.

Hope to see others re-commit this week to their Summer of Success Self - Challenge

JeanCat